IGNORED

Onkyo Home theatre in a box

Guest lvsaint

Guest lvsaint

Hi, i am newbie in this home theatre stuff and dont really need a very high end setup and also on a tight budget. I went researching on the internet and it seems that Onkyo has some nice packages. The

Onkyo HT-S755DVC seems good as it has everything but i cant seem to find the price in singapore dollars and where do i go to demo the speakers. If yu got any other home theatre in a box type of packages pls do suggest here. Thank you........

Instead of searching on the internet, why not do your physical searching locally then verify their performance on the internet? Then for sure you won't have problem trying to look for it in town.

Onkyo stuff can try Tat Chuan in Adelphi.

Hi lvsaint!

Like you, I'm a newbie too (having been away for a long time from audio stuff). I was also contemplating the HT in a Box type, but finally settled on a slightly more expensive package from KEC. The Take 5.2 is very good, and would probably meet the needs of newbies like us for a good many years before the upgrade bug catches us. For such a package (Marantz SR4200 + Take 5.2, expect to pay about S$2.1K).

Check out this place: www.kec-sound.com - Clarence is very patient and demoed many stuff for me whilst I was there. Great customer support for newbies like us.

Take 5.2 reviews:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/printarchives.cgi?40

Guest lvsaint

oh okay, thats a bit off budget and it does not come with a dvd player too. I was looking to wrap everything up under 1500 including dvd player.

VBlaster,

What is KEC's comment abt take5? Yesterday I was there for demo but the guy was too busy servicing someone for a long long time. I overheard he was like saying take5 not gd whereas another set cost 300 more is much better becos of.... the material of the speaker. The guy went for the demo seem to agree after the audit. Did he recommended something else to you?

Guest duckling

VBlaster,

What is KEC's comment abt take5? Yesterday I was there for demo but the guy was too busy servicing someone for a long long time. I overheard he was like saying take5 not gd whereas another set cost 300 more is much better becos of.... the material of the speaker. The guy went for the demo seem to agree after the audit. Did he recommended something else to you?

Hi lenney,

how abt yourself? Do you agree as well?

Just curious.

I no head no tail only overheard their convert lar. The KEC's tall guy (don't know his name) was telling the guy when for demo the tweeter of the recommanded set is made of titanium. Don't know the name of that set of Sat speaker. Anyone know?

Went to Tat chuan ask for Klipsch Synergy system 6 but was told discontinued in 1999. Really? I saw a review of it in CNET sometime this year la! This guy BS is it? He demo Klipsch micro to me sound quite SOILD la.

That would be Clarence. The set he demoed was probably the Mirage AVS600 (which is equivalent to the original Take 5). The ones with the better materials are the Take 5.2 (the ones we are talking about here).

He did the same demo for me too, first with Paradigm Sats (sounds good), then Mirage (original Take 5 - sounds better), and then finally Take 5.2 with the new 25mm aluminium dome tweeter and a 90mm injection-moulded polypropylene cone.

The original Take 5 (or the Mirage):

http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5-2/take51_system.html

The new Take 5.2:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5-2/take5-2_speakers_system.html

Synergy 6 is definitely still in production, as you can find them at www.klipsch.com . However, Klipsch may not be making a version for our voltage, just as they're taking their time to convert their Promedia 5.1 to our voltage despite the popularity of their Promedia 2.1 & 4.1 over here.