IGNORED

Best Power Cable below $100

DarkAngel

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

Any one can sugguest where to get a resonably good power cable below $100?

For Best Power Cable under $10 , yes $10, the Hospital Grade Power Cord from Koba Electronics get my vote, I think the price is around $7 to $8 cheap and good. If you are wiling to DIY a bit do a search here or in the Audio asylum you should be able to find links to quite a few DIY recipies. Depending on the wires and plugs/connectors you select you still can get it well below $100.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your advice BTW. However I want the save the hassle to DIY the cable myself. Jus looking for some better than the average power cable for my amp and cd player. Jus wondering if I can get pure copper power cord under $100 and where to get it. Like to get one with "America" plug pin.

Any sugguestion?

If you don't wanna DIY, it's pretty tough to get a significantly better commercial power cable for $100, than what you're currently using.

Perhaps you can wait for some used items to appear on the classifieds.

hi there,

what is it about your original power cord are you dissatisfied with?

what is the brand and model of the components in which you want to try out a new power cord in place or the original one?

why pure copper and why american plug? any particular reason?

just curious ::)

cheers

hi,

Any one can sugguest where to get a resonably good power cable below $100?

For Best Power Cable under $10 , yes $10, the Hospital Grade Power Cord from Koba Electronics get my vote, I think the price is around $7 to $8 cheap and good. If you are wiling to DIY a bit do a search here or in the Audio asylum you should be able to find links to quite a few DIY recipies. Depending on the wires and plugs/connectors you select you still can get it well below $100.

Good Luck!

Agree with BTW that KOBA's power cord is a good buy!

10 bucks for a power cord upgrade, must go try it out man. Thanks ! please let us know where can koba hospital grade power cord .

i am think of getting it for my Denon CDP DCD835 and a Sony basic model DVD player.

Any advice please :)

If you don't wanna DIY, it's pretty tough to get a significantly better commercial power cable for $100, than what you're currently using.

Perhaps you can wait for some used items to appear on the classifieds.

Hi can you recommend some specific brand and model? And where to get them?

pardon me, where's this Koba electronic?

Koba Electronics is located at People's Park Centre, address:

101 Upper Cross Street

#03-06

Tel: 65331672

Koba is a popular place for Diyers, lots of stuff there for those who like to tinker around.

The Hopsital Grade Power Cord is a 3m long Power Cord with molded connectors and a ferrite clamp at one end. At less than $10 really can't complain ;D

i am think of getting it for my Denon CDP DCD835 and a Sony basic model DVD player.

If the power cord is captive, do not cut it away as this could render your equipment unsaleable. Even if it is not, I believe the power inlet is two pin (without ground), in which case, I'd say you will not find a better cable than those moulded $3 a piece two pin Hitachi/Kawasaki cables. There is more to power than just cables, eg are you getting the polarity right?

Is there any way to know the polarity for a two pin plug without opening the chassis?

If the power cord is captive, do not cut it away as this could render your equipment unsaleable. Even if it is not, I believe the power inlet is two pin (without ground), in which case, I'd say you will not find a better cable than those moulded $3 a piece two pin Hitachi/Kawasaki cables. There is more to power than just cables, eg are you getting the polarity right?

Yes, there is a way!!!

By listening... im not joking.

Another way is to look at wordings on the 2 pin plug, The words shall be upright when plugging into the socket.

regards

Is there any way to know the polarity for a two pin plug without opening the chassis?

Darkangel,

I have quite a solidly built power cable fabricated out of the top of the line Cabletalk speaker cable. UK plugs and IEC plug. It is defintely less than $100. Send me an email if you are interested.

ongus:

There's a guy (Ang) who installs IEC power socket for $50. I had my old Pioneer cdp done and sound improvement is obvious if one is into aftermarket power cords. I'm thinking of doing the same to my Marantz CD6000OSE which has a captive cord. Some folks recommend buying a good DIY cord and solder it direct to the PCB. As per BTW's advice of the Koba, sounds like his option is cheaper?

Any comments?

There's a guy (Ang) who installs IEC power socket for $50. I had my old Pioneer cdp done and sound improvement is obvious if one is into aftermarket power cords. I'm thinking of doing the same to my Marantz CD6000OSE which has a captive cord. Some folks recommend buying a good DIY cord and solder it direct to the PCB. As per BTW's advice of the Koba, sounds like his option is cheaper?

Any comments?

If you think it works, good for you. It makes a difference, there is no doubt about it. But trying switching it back after two week (although not possible in your case after the captive p/c is cut) and see whether the "improvement" works both ways.

Some months back I was selling my brother's CJ Premier 5 power amps. The first question the interested party asked was whether the original captive power cords are still intact. So if I were you I'd keep what is original.

Off topic: 1. Just recently a friend told me his power amp sounded "weak" even when it was a flagship model of a highly regarded manufacturer and his p/c are no push-over. I gave him some $5/piece p/c to try. But these p/c are not the American termination so he had to bypass the transformer that was in the way and VOILA! suddenly the system sprang into life.

2. Another friend had his equipment sitting on some fancy cones. I told him the male singers sound like they had been castrated - they were singing on a wrong key. After he removed the cones their manhood was restored.

My point: two wrongs do not make a right. If a system is inherently handicapped, it does not matter what kind of p/c is used, the end result is still unsatisfactory.

One more point to think about: if a kettle that draws 2kW CONTINUOUSLY runs on a 0.75mm2 or 1.0mm2 power cord, what benefit would any electrical equipment that draws 1/10th or less current need something the size of a garden hose?

2. Another friend had his equipment sitting on some fancy cones. I told him the male singers sound like they had been castrated - they were singing on a wrong key. After he removed the cones their manhood was restored.

Change in the tonality of the voices - yes. Singing in the wrong key - no way. :)

btw, anyone wonders about what kinda of cables we are using for telephone lines? They must be really fantastic audiophile cables as we could still have great clarity with hardly any signal loss when we are making an overseas call.

'jj' , a pretty obnoxious guy in Audio Asylum, for all his 'attitude problem', is an R & D guy for AT & T, I think.

Mackie,

There are a few methods of modifying the CDP to accept aftermarket/commercial IEC plug. You can

1) Cut off the captive 2 pin cord and attach an IEC socket (Pigtail)

2) Cut a hole at the back of the chassis to accomodate the IEC socket

3) Remove the captive cord completely and solder one of your choice to the PCB directly

I got the CD600OSE second hand for my headphone setup...so no worries about resale value. Looks like I will try option 1 and save the $50! ;D

By the way, where can I buy a respectable IEC socket?

One more point to think about: if a kettle that draws 2kW CONTINUOUSLY runs on a 0.75mm2 or 1.0mm2 power cord, what benefit would any electrical equipment that draws 1/10th or less current need something the size of a garden hose?

Good point ongus. Technically it's not feasible but U know how hifi is.......I guess having bigger headroom is always a good thing? Since I have a few extra pairs of power cords lying around, I reckon I will install an IEC socket for the Marantz to utilize them. Just to fool around I suppose. ;D

[quote author=TOOL btw, anyone wonders about what kinda of cables we are using for telephone lines? They must be really fantastic audiophile cables as we could still have great clarity with hardly any signal loss when we are making an overseas call.

What's your point here? Are you implying that the electrical and mechanical relationship between your telephone handset right through to the oversea recieving person's handset is similar to the relationship between two audio component? Otherwise how would you draw a comparison between the two?

TOOL,

There are bandpass filters in telephone networks that allow only a certain range of frequency through, typically 400hz to 3400hz. The bandwidth needed is therefore much less than hifi. It explains why we can get good sound from thin flimsy cables.

yes nautilius you are right.. so there's no loss in details I suppose ;D ;D

anyway.. getting OOT already..

TOOL,

Yeah i suppose so too. Unless we've two busy chatterboxes at both ends, then the phone company would automatically shut one side up. Useful for naggy aunties. ;D

Tried playing music over the phone many times to friends. In all instances, my voice is clear but the music sounds worse than radio. Heheh, seems we've found the idea cable for "vocals".