IGNORED

Matching Speakers with Bryston 4BST

Hi guys. Anyone knows which speakers are a good match with the Bryston 4BST and Bryston BP-25MC power and pre amp? Heard that the PMC matches well with them. But after auditioning the PMC FB1 at AFA, I dont really like the sound ;D

I usually listen to vocals and 80's pop. Not so much on instrumental/jazz. Prefer to buy used speakers with a budget of $1500-$2000.

Thanks guys. ;D ;D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone who owns 1.3SE & Bryston pre power could invite sky over?

As for the bass, its got definitely much better extension than most speakers of the same size. This is due to a slight bump in the frequency resp as a result of the enclosure design.

You will get alot of midbass and a hint of the lows (30-40hz) I've a pair of 2 way floorstanders in my room before. Its woofer is about the same size as the contour 1.3SE but the bass extension is very much more prominent esp in classical & rock recordings. It really depends on your musical taste.

Don't think you can get 1.3SE with ur budget of $2k. Perhaps you can look in the 2nd hand market? It'll be a long wait tho :)

Guest duckling

I agree with fishball that the Dynaudio 1.3MKII or SE has great bass extension for a bookshelf speaker.

The Dynaudio would need juicy amp to drive them which you already have. ;D

I concur with fishball79 on the choice of a Dynaudio bookshelf speakers. I'm using a similar pair of Dynaudio Acoustics speakers driven by a Krell power-amp. Not too long ago, I was concerned about too much bass output as opposed to the lack of it in my typical HDB room size.

Sky, I think we have similar room sizes and U're always welcomed to check it out at my place. :)

I heard the ProAc in action at KEC. Sound wonderful to me. Maybe you can audit them.

* FYI, they're NOT pair up with Bryston 4BST.

I've been to KEC b4 and heard the Proac speakers, but its the bookshelf one (dont know what model). Very small, sounds good but lack the bass. There's also another Proac speakers there. It's floorstander, also dont know what model cause did not ask. I also like Proac speakers.

A few weeks ago, I almost wanted to buy a used Proac 1SC in one of the shops in Adelphi. The first time I ask for a quote, the salesman (boss?) said $1100. A few days later, the price went up to $1300. How come so much diffence in price? They any-o-how quote one is it?

Hi

Regarding 2nd hand prices, my observation is

1. it is 'anyhow' quote simply becos it depends on the mood of the salesman and how desperate is the buyer

2. If u do not grab the first time round and waited and asked the second time, the salesman may notice u and decide u may be prepared to pay a bit more or someone else already offered the price and he knows his price is 'cheap'.

3. My advice esp buying a good rare used equipment is if u find a 'reasonable price' one, do not hesitate. Just grab them heheheh

hi sky,

Regardless of the SS amp used, what are the loudspeakers you already like?

OK, Proac is one. Any more?

While agreeing that when a good deal comes along you, you grab it, such assured decisions usually only comes after much experience and exposure to the the 'market' prices of the products concerned. And of course, depends on how well you 'hide' a sudden reduction of your bank account from your other half :)

Guest joamonte

ATC-10-2.......not very $$$,sound good and look nice too!!

just hear it last week,much better then the old wood cabinet version!

I also itch to get one after audit... :P

I've been to KEC b4 and heard the Proac speakers, but its the bookshelf one (dont know what model). Very small, sounds good but lack the bass. There's also another Proac speakers there. It's floorstander, also dont know what model cause did not ask. I also like Proac speakers.

The bookshelf model is tablette 8. If you want more bass, you should try the floorstander. Similar sound except more bass.

PMC and ATC are kind of monitor speakers tends to be neutral but at extreme for one character : sensitivity PMC is of high sensitivity if which ATC is at the other extreme.

Though you have the 4BST, may be you will find it is still not good enough for ATC & need a 7BST or 14BST ;D

I also recommend Dynaudio 1.3MKII or SE for bookshelf or you may adventure into a good pair of floorstander provided we are preparing to spend time for the mix & match, positioning and room acoustic.

cheers

TOOL: I have a few speakers in mind:

Dynaudio

Proac

ATC

Maggie

PMC ??

B&W

Not sure which model I'm looking for. Depends on the price range. Hopefully used set below $2000 ;D I'm currently using NHT VT1.2. It's a very slim floorstander will subwoofer at the side of the speaker. I like the speakers, but I think they do not make full potential of the Brystons. ;D

Guest joamonte

ATC-10-2 not that difficult to drive like what most ppls said lah!....last time I use a Aragon 4004MK2(same power and legend with the 4BST) to drive the wood cabinet ATC10,miss that sound till now!!

ATC10-2 cost $2100 (listed price)only.

TOOL: I have a few speakers in mind:

Dynaudio

Proac

ATC

Maggie

PMC ??

B&W

Not sure which model I'm looking for. Depends on the price range. Hopefully used set below $2000 ;D I'm currently using NHT VT1.2. It's a very slim floorstander will subwoofer at the side of the speaker. I like the speakers, but I think they do not make full potential of the Brystons. ;D

Why do you think they (the NHTs) did not make full use of the Bryston? Did you try it with a less powerful SS amp and did not find much sonic difference? In any case, is that combination sufficient to meet your sonic needs?

The speaker list - you've heard all of them? Or it's just a 'sure fire' shortlist? One other speaker I can add to your list is the Vienna Acoustics Mozart. Slim and elegant floorstander, not the ultimate in neutrality but very pleasant sounding indeed. A used pair should be around $1.5k

The "hifi upgrade itch" very difficult to scratch huh ;D ;D Hope you can resist it :)

Guest powerman

Hi guys. Anyone knows which speakers are a good match with the Bryston 4BST and Bryston BP-25MC power and pre amp? Heard that the PMC matches well with them. But after auditioning the PMC FB1 at AFA, I dont really like the sound ;D

I usually listen to vocals and 80's pop. Not so much on instrumental/jazz. Prefer to buy used speakers with a budget of $1500-$2000.

Thanks guys. ;D ;D

mirage m3.

Guest joamonte

mirage m3.

other then its oso 360 degree....it sound very different with youe MBL leh.....how come recommend it ???

(Ps have u recieve my photo?)

Guest powerman

other then its oso 360 degree....it sound very different with youe MBL leh.....how come recommend it ???

(Ps have u recieve my photo?)

sky asked for a good match.

and even seen a used pair of m3 asked for $1300 and still nobody want. ;D

the m3 is not a 360 but bi-polar.

side track a bit: if got room and space, m1 +7b can go down to 18hz with no problems.

though the m3 cannot go that low but still need at least 6 feets from the wall and m1 need 11 feets.

will check my mail! thanks!

Charcoal: Are floorstanders more difficult to position than bookshelves? Aiyah, I did not know ATC speakers are that difficult to drive :(

IMO, bookshelf is definitely easier (at least it is lighter to move around). Floorstanders normally need more spare to breathe or else yr other equipments must have a very good tight bass element to control the speaker. In addition, room acoustic is something you can't simply ignore.

ATC-10 used to be just 80, 81 or 82db sensitivity (can't remember), have it improved ? I don't recommend those low sensitivity speakers (below 85db) unless you really love its sound and have $ to feed them.

IMO, Bryston is value for money for its power.

cheers

IMO, bookshelf is definitely easier (at least it is lighter to move around).

Not if you got heavy filled stands!!! :D

Regarding speaker positioning, both speakers i tried at home, Proacs & Dynaudios are rear ported and they are best off at least 1 m from the wall facing rear of the speakers.

Front ported need less space but gives quite a diff character.

ProAc spks demand tube amps. Will not touch these if I were in your position.

If you do not like Bryston + PMC why is it still in shortlist?

Do not recommend Maggies unless you have a big listening area. Also, will not touch older Maggies or Martin Logan because of local humid weather. You have already read from a participant here how his pair of ML died after he sold them for a trade in and unused for several months.

Recommend ATC SCM20 or SCM10, if possible with SL suffix, if you like the British sound. If you like more top end extension then try Dynaudio. As for B&W, all their better models are floor standers eg 801, 802 and these are BIG. If you can accomodate Maggies then can consider B&W, else forget them.

Perhaps someone who owns 1.3SE & Bryston pre power could invite sky over?

As for the bass, its got definitely much better extension than most speakers of the same size. This is due to a slight bump in the frequency resp as a result of the enclosure design.

You will get alot of midbass and a hint of the lows (30-40hz) I've a pair of 2 way floorstanders in my room before. Its woofer is about the same size as the contour 1.3SE but the bass extension is very much more prominent esp in classical & rock recordings. It really depends on your musical taste.

Don't think you can get 1.3SE with ur budget of $2k. Perhaps you can look in the 2nd hand market? It'll be a long wait tho :)

Goldberg owns the above combi. Been to his place..... very musical set, and what impressed me most was the bass extension.

Sky, u may want to PM Goldberg quick if you want to have a listen - he's selling off his Bryston pre/power. He's quite a hospitable chap :)