IGNORED

how come the volume so soft and recommend me a surround speaker(5.1)..thx

The Marantz volume meter is not the usual db metering. I'm not exactly sure what it really means but don't worry too much about it.

When I was using my old SR5000, typically played stereo CDs at around 45-50 and home theater at around 60-70. The max is around 95 if I'm not wrong.

I read somewhere that the metering is based on the sound the test tones produce. Eg. if you had a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and tried the test tones, cranking the volume to 70 will produce about 70db on the SPL meter.

;D

I read somewhere that the metering is based on the sound the test tones produce. Eg. if you had a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and tried the test tones, cranking the volume to 70 will produce about 70db on the SPL meter.

;D

Then we have to factor in distance from the speaker. The SPL db is different at different distance. So what reference pt is their db base on?

I have no idea. Can't even remember where I read it... That's why I said around and not exactly 70db in the example.

;D

;D

Then we have to factor in distance from the speaker. The SPL db is different at different distance. So what reference pt is their db base on?

Difference brands use different metering. Most brands base their metering on how many dBs their amps can deliever before maxing out.

But regardless of metering, all should be able to deliver enough volume with an extra 20dB excess, as headroom.

Eg, if amp max vol is 0dB, the volume control should be -20dB.

Guest joamonte

Difference brands use different metering. Most brands base their metering on how many dBs their amps can deliever before maxing out.

But regardless of metering, all should be able to deliver enough volume with an extra 20dB excess, as headroom.

Eg, if amp max vol is 0dB, the volume control should be -20dB.

sori for a bit out of topic!

Jag,but i think in some case things are a bit different..

eg.your Rotel power amp come with more power reserve and lower input sen. then your yamaha oringinal bulit in power amp..

for preamp normally it dont get overload so easily like power amp.

so IMHO I suppest your Yamaha volume should be able to turn louder then -20db without much increse in distotion ....

just like my Sony AV amp/Kxxx Power amp must turn excess -18db in some DTS(louder then DD) DVD in order to feel "siok"..... ;D

Yeah, on a pre-pow combo, I agree they can go louder volumes with less distortion. But still as a pre-amp, its better to have some headroom in the pre-amp circuits (~20dB extra for 105dB peaks)for those demanding explosions even thou its a low-level signal. (Pre-amps can still clip) :-\

But coming back to a AVR, its still adviseable to have at least 20dB of excess volume to cater for those explosions. Since movies have so wide a dynamic range, that extra overhead would prevent clipping at the speaker level.(which would otherwise blow the speaker coils :()

CD's overhead is little (average 6dB) in contrast to DD/DTS's 20dB.

Which means dvd movies are much more demanding than cd music. Thats why explosions in action movies are much louder than dialogue.

Ever notice some ppl have to turn the volume down during explosions, but have to turn the volume back up in normal dialogue?

Thats why DD specified a "mid-nite" mode on their decoders to reduce the dynamic headroom. In this mode, explosion sound just a bit louder than dialogue. when "mid-nite" mode is disengaged, explosions really rock the house in contrast to dialogue at normal volumes.

Well, it depends on your budget.

The Take 5.2 are not bad. About $1300 the last time I saw them. Also KEF KHT-2005 are also not too bad. Mirage Omnisat should be good too, but I've not heard them personally.

Are you looking for entire 5.1 speakers or just the surrounds?

;D

(2) any good surround speaker to go with this marantz? how is the energy take 5.2? thx

I am looking for a whole surround system (5.1) and including a subwoofer,cos is more easy..hehe...because now i am using my MARANTZ 5200 with my old"cheapo" aiwa speaker.Maybe will get the SUBWOOFER first then next month then get the speaker..slowly built up lo,tight budget ma.So can recommend me a good subwoofer to go with my MARANTZ 5200.budget around $600.thx for all the AUDIO "HIGH HAND" for help..appreciate..

any others comment/advise for me is muchly apprecaite.

cheers :-*