IGNORED

a no-frills, cheap amp??

wat i have:

5 speakers, a mix of brands, definitely not high-end, or even middle-end....

a pc w/ TVout

29" Hitachi TV

Need:

an 5/5.1 ch amp (no dolby anything needed, nor tuner)

finally understood wat i want, w/ my budget....

i will b using my pc as a htpc, DD and DTS decoding done in computer, then output thru analogue outputs of the soundcard (SB Live 5.1 for the moment).

Analogue outputs to b connected to an amplifier, which in turn connects the speakers.

Yesterday went down to Fu Lu Shou and found a number of amps tat fitted my needs n budget, cheapest being $89 n the more expensive ones juz below $200.

But havent really demo the sets, so juz want to ask, tis amps, if i juz get one to push my speakers, would there b a problem? These amps have names like Garrand, Audioblast, n Vrtak (i tink).....

Or is there an alternative to hook the 5 spks to my pc?

Guest duckling

i will b using my pc as a htpc, DD and DTS decoding done in computer, then output thru analogue outputs of the soundcard (SB Live 5.1 for the moment).

Analogue outputs to b connected to an amplifier, which in turn connects the speakers.

I dun think you can do that.

If your PC decodes DD & DTS...you'll need 5.1 analogue connection to the Amp. Since you're using SB Live, where you get the 5.1 analogue out?

Pls correct me if I am wrong. :)

Whazzup, I present 2 nice solutions for you.

1) Get a amp with 5.1 input. Many modern generation av amps have this as a standard feature, catered for those with speacial needs just like you. Just connect the 5 analog outputs from the PC into the av amp.

But there is a more elegant solution for this. For $500, you can get the amp that does DTS/DD decoding, but instead of analog interconnects, you use the digital out from the PC and let the amp do the DD/DTS decoding. This method is quite elegant as the features on the avr can be used along side with those of the sound card.

But for a solution less that $200, be prepared for a little disapointment as brand new solutions in that price bracket may compromise their quality and reliability. Not to mention being able to do what you intended in the first place.

What you need is an amp with 5.1 inputs.

thks 4 the reply! :)

but in my case, and i've thought long n hard abt it, i dun need the tuner, i dun need the DSP modes, dun even need Pro Logic, n dun really care if the amp's branded.

my speakers are jiab ba lang ( ;D) ones, so feel tat ponking down 500+, or even 300 bucks, is a waste of money. Such a gd amp, oni to b let down by normal speakers. my idea is, wanna upgrade, upgrade the whole darn lot....(but of cos, tat's a revelation after spending quite a bit of money ::))

btw, the amp w/ 5.1 inputs u were saying, any to recommend? cos those Audioblast, Garrand, Vrtak amps i saw at Fu Lu Shou (esp the $89 Audioblast one) seems ok, but i scared there'r some mighty fault w/ them or something.....

as i said, decoding goin 2 b done by my PC, so i juz need an amp to push 5 spks (no sub, cos got front floorstanders). Main worry is that the sound will come out harsh, bass drones on n on, tat sort of thing (haven got time to test), so hoping someone will have exp. w/ these brands of amps......

(oops, typed a lot of stuf...)

if so, should should not be a problem.

tat's wat i tink, but was wondering brands like marantz n yamaha, they dun come out wif simple 5.1 ch amps rite? juz to push speakers n accept inputs, w/o all the tuners n such?

cos it'll b nice if we could compare them against those cheapo brands n find out really wat's the diiference...... :)

I dun think you can do that.

If your PC decodes DD & DTS...you'll need 5.1 analogue connection to the Amp. Since you're using SB Live, where you get the 5.1 analogue out?

Pls correct me if I am wrong. :)

can, front spk jack to front LR spks (stereo-2RCA), rear spk jack to rear LR spks (stereo-2RCA), digital out jack to centre spk (mono stereo-1RCA)

tink subwoofer out also uses the digital out jack, but dun have a sub, so cant try.

SB software settings set to 5.1ch, n the rest is Windvd.... ;D

Guest duckling

Whazzup, I present 2 nice solutions for you.

1) Get a amp with 5.1 input. Many modern generation av amps have this as a standard feature, catered for those with speacial needs just like you. Just connect the 5 analog outputs from the PC into the av amp.

But there is a more elegant solution for this. For $500, you can get the amp that does DTS/DD decoding, but instead of analog interconnects, you use the digital out from the PC and let the amp do the DD/DTS decoding. This method is quite elegant as the features on the avr can be used along side with those of the sound card.

But for a solution less that $200, be prepared for a little disapointment as brand new solutions in that price bracket may compromise their quality and reliability. Not to mention being able to do what you intended in the first place.

What you need is an amp with 5.1 inputs.

Jag, where he get the 5.1 analogue out from his PC? I still dun get it? ???

Guest duckling

SBLive got 5.1 out via 3 stereo pin output.. FL/FR + RL/RR + C/Sub.

No problemo..

Phil

That means it's not discrete 5.1 anaglogue to Amp. I wonder has anyone tried this method.

I already saw lots of pple in AVS Forum having problem getting DTS from SPDIF Digital Out to the Amp let alone using 3 stereo pin output?

That means it's not discrete 5.1 anaglogue to Amp. I wonder has anyone tried this method.

I already saw lots of pple in AVS Forum having problem getting DTS from SPDIF Digital Out to the Amp let alone using 3 stereo pin output?

actually i've tried hooking up 5.1 spks to my pc b4. currently have FPS2000, after hooking up, still lack one center channel, so had s/w off digital output (on the SB Live 5.1) n connected a pair of PC speakers to the digital jack.

juz thought of it, yeah, it wun be discrete 5.1, more like 2 stereo (front stereo, rear stereo) n 1 mono (center). But how different would it be from a correct implementation of discrete 5.1? since DD/DTS decoding's done by software, watever info for each channel will be passed on to the relevant speaker rite?

eg, audio for front left will come out from the front left speaker, audio for front right will output from front right speaker, even though there's oni one stereo jack (for front spks) frm the soundcard, doesnt really affect the audio info, tat correct?

Base on my experience SB Live 5.1 is actually a crap they cant really decode the DD5.1 or DTS5.1 unless the SB Audigy 5.1 but also limited to DD5.1 only not DTS5.1.

For my PC setting even though I got a SB live 5.1, I dont really use it, what I use is a Real Magic Hollywood DVD decoding card with a SVideo output and Digital output. The card can decode both DD & DTS 5.1. But 1 disadvantage you still need a outside decoder and a 5 channel amp to go with it.

My suggestion is to find a second hand Creative Decoder

like the PLAYWORKS DTT2500 DIGITAL. But than you still have to find ways to connect it to a power amp for your speakers.

Good luck.

Base on my experience SB Live 5.1 is actually a crap they cant really decode the DD5.1 or DTS5.1 unless the SB Audigy 5.1 but also limited to DD5.1 only not DTS5.1.

For my PC setting even though I got a SB live 5.1, I dont really use it, what I use is a Real Magic Hollywood DVD decoding card with a SVideo output and Digital output. The card can decode both DD & DTS 5.1. But 1 disadvantage you still need a outside decoder and a 5 channel amp to go with it.

My suggestion is to find a second hand Creative Decoder

like the PLAYWORKS DTT2500 DIGITAL. But than you still have to find ways to connect it to a power amp for your speakers.

Good luck.

heh, had a Hollywood plus also, but sold it as i felt s/w like windvd, cineplayer, Atidvd (current darling's Windvd 4 Plus) adequate for my purposes, and have sharper images (Hollywood's PQ is softer).

Anyway, i'm not using the card to decode, i'm using Windvd to do the decoding, so no problem.

But i'm juz a bit concerned whether there'll be a difference btw stereo channels as opposed to discrete channels (see my prev post), as in would the audio info be mixed up (eg, Front 2 channels downmixed to stereo from 2 discrete channels).

As i'm not really sure abt tat, hope someone can enlighten me..... :)