IGNORED

Elvis No. 1 Hits

Transworld

Frankly speaking, I have a great distaste for these Greatest Hits compilations. This is especially true for artiste with decades of recordings and such a huge body of works that displayed their growth in music over the years.

To clarify further

While there are greatest hits albums that feature preferred selections by key musicians (THe Ultimate Coleman Hawkins' by Sonny Rollins is one example) or artistes whose careers is spread so far and thin into singles or too diverse to collect.

Like the Beatles Nos 1, Elvis is one of the greatest rock and roll (not to dismiss his gospel years). TO pick 30 of his Number 1 hits and re-release them truly serves no justice to the legend. One might argue that it is a great disc to listen to and the compilation saves one the trouble of re-recording the tracks from various albums but to truly appreciate Elvis.. there are a few basic albums

1)Sunrise (recently remastered and released as a 2-disc set; Elvis 1954 raw and good)

2)The King of Rock and Roll: The COmplete 50s Masters [box Set]

Many would argue that Elvis peak in the 50s and 60s but after Vietnam he became a joke.. his defenders would argue that he became a true entertainer in the 70s and his interaction with the audience was apparent in his live recordings. I will live the interpretation of that to yourself.

Alternatively visit Library@Esplanade where there is the Blue Suede Shoes Box Set. This box set cost over S$700 and is a fine compilation of Elvis work over the years. I suggest you read the inserts carefully and be amazed at the scope of his work.

Elvis was a joke when he went into acting cum singing..

I'm sure everbody agree that the 70's was when he went back to his roots, i.e. rock N roll. That's why he's comeback concert was a huge relief and success.

Ender

Eddie Murphy's talk shows used to make fun of Elvis as the person who sing his lines. I doubt you would find people, short of hardcore fans, who think that Elvis is a fine actor.

Unless you've never owned an Elvis album, Elvis No.1 is too much of a good thing. Chart toppers one after another, ad nauseam. I agree the rarer box sets and compilations - esp. Sunrise - and early stuff is what real fans should get.

On this topic, has anyone seen the remastered Sunrise album selling in Singapore?

The best personal performance in which Elvis gave in his life was the film of his stage performance recorded in 1969 and released in December 1970, which was followed by a record of the same name. A very sought after recording to this day. It can be obtain on Compact Disc by RCA, a quite hard to come by in Singapore.

Comparing with the No:1 hits deluge of late, Elvis No:1, is listenbale, does not contain much surprises. I would say The Beatles No: 1, is much better.

There are a few good No:1's, Chicago, Bee Gees, Rolling Stones Forty Licks.