IGNORED

Bookshelf Speakers

yufee

Hi all,

I would like seek advice from all you audiophiles. Currently I have a very simple but old system in my study (5m x 4m):

NAD 312 amp

Denon 815 CDP

Mission Bookshelf Speakes (both cabinet has cracked!!)

Basically, I have to replace the Missions with another bookshelf speakers and would also like to get new interconnects as I'm using plain jane RCA cables.

Budget I'm looking to spend no more than $350 (speakers and interconnects) and hopefully I can achieve clear sound with deep controlled bass (not necessary to have heavy bass).

Please advise if its possible with my budget and also look forward to any suggestions. Sorry for such a long message for a simple set-up :P Thanks!

I've very good impression of Accostic Energy Aegis One bkshelf. New abt $325, so if u wld go for a second-hand piece, shd be going at $200-$250. It must be one of the best speaker at this price range.

speaker cables, check our Ixos gamma at abt $6/meter new - fair amt of detial and warm bass. Otherwise with more money, i'll go for kimber PBJ or kimber 4tc. If used, both go for a steal.

Harvey norman@(millieum walk) are clearing it at $180

Aegis one :)

anyone considering this speaker, at $180 is really a good price....., just remember to run them well. Thereafter these babies will sing for you...

Hi all,

I would like seek advice from all you audiophiles. Currently I have a very simple but old system in my study (5m x 4m):

NAD 312 amp

Denon 815 CDP

Mission Bookshelf Speakes (both cabinet has cracked!!)

Basically, I have to replace the Missions with another bookshelf speakers and would also like to get new interconnects as I'm using plain jane RCA cables.

Budget I'm looking to spend no more than $350 (speakers and interconnects) and hopefully I can achieve clear sound with deep controlled bass (not necessary to have heavy bass).

Please advise if its possible with my budget and also look forward to any suggestions. Sorry for such a long message for a simple set-up :P Thanks!

hi yufee,

deep controlled bass - how deep do you want the bass to be? 50Hz? 40Hz? 30Hz? It is very difficult for a pair of bookshelf speakers to produce deep bass below 50Hz.

Have you considered purchasing an inexpensive subwoofer? If you could budget your bookshelves to be around $150-200 (used or even new), then add an active sub (used) with the balance from the $350 budget that you've set, that may suit your applications. The budget range of UK speakers like Mordaunt-Short or Monitor Audio speakers are quite good for the money. Hunt around Classifieds.

Unless your interconnects are corroding badly or badly terminated, leave them alone for the time being.

Just my opinions

Hmm.. you can get a 2nd hand Bronze 2 at singnet, and buy ecosse entry level biwire cables.

if you want bass from bookshelf, get heavy solid stands to mount them onto.

Maybe on the contrary, I have bad experience with Aegis One, avoid them. They lack detail as well as bass too. Aegis Evo One is a better choice.

::)

hi yufee,

deep controlled bass - how deep do you want the bass to be? 50Hz? 40Hz? 30Hz? It is very difficult for a pair of bookshelf speakers to produce deep bass below 50Hz.

Have you considered purchasing an inexpensive subwoofer? If you could budget your bookshelves to be around $150-200 (used or even new), then add an active sub (used) with the balance from the $350 budget that you've set, that may suit your applications. The budget range of UK speakers like Mordaunt-Short or Monitor Audio speakers are quite good for the money. Hunt around Classifieds.

Unless your interconnects are corroding badly or badly terminated, leave them alone for the time being.

Just my opinions

Hi all,

Really appreciate all your help. I really dun know wat freq to go down. however before the missions, i was using Kef Coda 7 and I was quite satisfied with its overall performance, however the mission offers even more clarity and i was thus very impressed by its performance.

Any idea how much would the cresta 2 and tannoy costs? does KEC carries them?

Thanks again for all the help :)

Maybe on the contrary, I have bad experience with Aegis One, avoid them. They lack detail as well as bass too. Aegis Evo One is a better choice.

I thought you had owned a pair of Aegis Twos and not the Aegis one?

Would you care to share your system setup with the Aegis One (Or Two) including speaker cables & speaker positioning as I have never come across the previous Aegis series to be one that lacks detail or bass (Unless you are talking about 30hZ freq) when needed.

I thought you had owned a pair of Aegis Twos and not the Aegis one?

Would you care to share your system setup with the Aegis One (Or Two) including speaker cables & speaker positioning as I have never come across the previous Aegis series to be one that lacks detail or bass (Unless you are talking about 30hZ freq) when needed.

same here, i did not experiance lack of detail and bass with ageis one, but then other elements come into play when we talk abt hifi. I've used the mit t4 and kimber 4tc , both goes well with the ageis.