IGNORED

Marantz or NAD?

AZ

Hi all, this is my first post, please bear with me.

I am getting my first audio system but I had a hard time choosing between these few hardwares. The hardwares I have in mind are:

1. Marantz 6000OSE LE CD player

Marantz 6010SA amp

2. NAD 541i CD player

NAD 350 amp

I would like to have Mission 780 or Dynaudio 42 as my speaker. My budget is about $1500.

All feedbacks are welcome.

Between the Dynaudio and Mission i wld pick Dynaudio, BUT you almost must hv a powerful enu amp to drive any Dyn. I think anything above 75 wpc wld be good.

don't forget to put aside some $ for decent cables.

Guest medp9153

Welcome to this forum, AZ :)

Before we contribute our suggestions to your questions, please tell us what type of music you are listening to (jazz? classical? pop? rock? etc.) and what you expect from an audio system (dynamic? deep bass? warm and sexy vocals? beautiful treble extension? etc.). Usually a budget system cannot have them all, so you got to put decide your priority probably based on your music of choice.

Besides, do you mind getting second hand gear? You just need to make sure that the equipment is in good working condition, and this can save you a lot of money. However, it is advisable for newbies to get the cd player new.

I was using Mission and Marantz combo before and found these 2 brands have good synergy. PM6010 is a refined amp that plays classical pieces and jazz very well, but a bit too polite for rock/heavy metal. For more power, consider PM7000 ($550). If you don't mind 2nd hand, you can try on PM66SE currently sold on singnet classified ($230, ad no. 618821), similar characteristics as 6010 but especially good for vocals.

I used Mission 780 spk together with PM7000 and this combination gave very good results. These spks handle most kind of music well, esp good with jazz and vocal stuffs, but mind you first that the bass and treble extension of this speaker is not outstanding. They are suitable to be used in small room. a 2nd hand 780 is available at singnet for $350 (ad no. 486030). For more dynamic, Mission m71 (~$280) or m51 (~$550) is a better bet. Dynaudio speakers usually requires powerful amp for them to sound good. PM6010 would be too polite for them IMHO. Marantz PM7000 or NAD 370 might be a safer bet.

CD6000LE is a good player but do consider Rotel and NAD also. Try to get both CDP and amp from the same make for better synergy (although not always necessary).

As for other NAD products, i am less familiar so others can give better opinions. Since all the electronics you listed are available in KEC, Adelphi, I would advise that you drop by this shop to listen to the different combinations before making your decision. Nonetheless, it is very important to understand your taste and choice of music before making any decision.

Hope this helps a bit :)

The 1.5k budget includes speakers etc...?? Remember to budget for speaker stands and cables as well.. :)

Should also take a listen to a Rotel combo.. on top of the Marantz and NAD.. also available for auditioning at KEC.. ;D

For bookshelf speakers also try out the Quab 11L and the Monitor Audio Monitor 2 Gold (old but I still like)..

Thanks to all who response.

Medp9153, I don't have any preference for any kind of music maybe except maybe R&B which makes me fall asleep.

TK, I do hope that $1500 includes the speaker cos I am using the cheapo cables and interconnects(comes with amp) for the time being.

What are the sound characteristics of the Marantz and NAD? Which sounds warmer, natural, open? Sorry I ask this question becos I am nuts when it comes to audition.

I am getting my first audio system but I had a hard time choosing between these few hardwares. The hardwares I have in mind are:

Marantz 6010SA amp

2. NAD 541i CD player

NAD 350 amp

I would like to have Mission 780 or Dynaudio 42 as my speaker. My budget is about $1500.

Hi,

What are your room dimensions? Are there any restrictions to speaker placement or your listening position?

Unless the interconnects or speaker cables have bad connections or are corroding badly, there's not much need to change them as yet.

Make sure you purchase a pair of speakers you like to listen to - that is most important.

Guest medp9153

Thanks to all who response.

What are the sound characteristics of the Marantz and NAD? Which sounds warmer, natural, open? Sorry I ask this question becos I am nuts when it comes to audition.

Hehe, why not you drop by KEC on one of the weekdays (weekend the shop would be very crowded and Clerence will be too busy to serve you) and try them out yourself? Do remember to bring some CDs that you are most familiar with. Just mix and match different components and listen for yourself if a combination can produce the type of sound you like from your CDs. This will be better than any review :)

Had made an query for a colleague on nad cd player last week.

Kec had stopped carrying nad product.

(Obviously, the notoriety.. oops! i mean the fame of the cd player itself is too much for anyone to handle)

Alternatively, auditioned it at

Gp acoustic at aldephi

Marantz 6010SA amp

2. NAD 541i CD player

NAD 350 amp

Hi AZ,

First and foremost, I would'nt recommend Dynaudio speakers unless U have a high current power amp. This criterion must be met before the speakers can sound their best. I used to drive my Dynas with Audiolabs monoblocs and man, sound quality was MEEK compared to what they can achieve with my current Krell.

Speakers wise, maybe the mission is more suitable of the two or U can consider the pair advertised on singnet ie. Triangle Titus 202. see link http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg/search.cfm?SearchBy=2&keyw ord=triangle&ID=5

Marantz 6010SA amp

2. NAD 541i CD player

NAD 350 amp

This hs been asked several time. Search thru the forum, you will find your answer. I personally prefer Rotel RCD-02 for its warm sound and its within your budget. With 1500 go for others above the range of Marantz or NAD you are interested.

Just my 2cents.

IMHO.. the Dynaudio Audience 42 would be stretching the 1.5k budget and amplifiers withing your budget may not be able to drive them well... so it may be better to leave them out..

U should listen to the Marantz, NAD and Rotel stuff within your budget as they do sound different.. not that one brand is necessary better than the other.

Certain models of NAD cd players have been reported to have tracking problems so it may be safer to avoid them if u're not sure.. but then skipping NAD amplifiers would be a shame becos NAD amplifiers are generally good value (and performance) for money.

Marantz CD players are generally well liked and their amp aren't bad as well.. There are a few models within your budget so u have more flexibilty in order not to spend too much money.

Rotel CD players and amps are nice and should be given serious considerations.. but their gear might just push your budget a little.. esp if u take into account cost for cables, stands etc..

Just my personal opinions.. ;)

Dun worry too much about which brand sounds warmer etc.. Just listen and see which brand of sound suits your tastes.. :)

Bring along a couple CD that u like for audition, both to hear what your favourite music sounds like and also to have a bit of consistency (CD) if auditioning in different shops... Audition thru a few different kinda music as some equip may sound better for certain kinda music but not as good for others. Try to audition at the same listening (sound) level (loudness). Otherwise, a system that is slightly louder might seem more dynamic and better than the softer setup. Be also careful about a system that might sound bright and exciting initially.. as it might become fatiguing after an hour or two.. :)

Just some things to note.. :)

juz going off-topic abit here:

if u r auditioning ,say, a NAD and a Marantz cdp u can't tell one from the other, what do u do?

1) buy the cdp which has more stars in your fav hifi magazine?

2) buy the cheaper of the 2?

3) buy the best looking?

4) buy the one with the most comprehensive remote control?!

5) go and and start your research again?

Solly, u r not allowed to call a friend or poll the audience

if u r auditioning ,say, a NAD and a Marantz cdp u can't tell one from the other, what do u do?

3) buy the best looking?

my final answer is 3. vain la... ;D If price not too different.

I would go for 5. ;D

3) buy the best looking?

Probably 1 or 3 if price is equivalent, otherwise, I'll tend to tilt in favour of a more sturdy construction.

• 8 years later...

IMHO.. the Dynaudio Audience 42 would be stretching the 1.5k budget and amplifiers withing your budget may not be able to drive them well... so it may be better to leave them out..

U should listen to the Marantz, NAD and Rotel stuff within your budget as they do sound different.. not that one brand is necessary better than the other.  

Certain models of NAD cd players have been reported to have tracking problems so it may be safer to avoid them if u're not sure.. but then skipping NAD amplifiers would be a shame becos NAD amplifiers are generally good value (and performance) for money.

Marantz CD players are generally well liked and their amp aren't bad as well.. There are a few models within your budget so u have more flexibilty in order not to spend too much money.

Rotel CD players and amps are nice and should be given serious considerations.. but their gear might just push your budget a little.. esp if u take into account cost for cables, stands etc..

Just my personal opinions..  ;)

Hi, as mentioned above. Marantz Cd player are good and NAD amplifier are good. What about matching both of them? any change in the product line for NAD and marantz through out all this years?

1)  buy the cdp which has more stars in your fav hifi magazine?

2)  buy the cheaper of the 2?

3)  buy the best looking?

4)  buy the one with the most comprehensive remote control?!

5)  go and and start your research again?

Please add 3 more options

6) Buy the more expensive one

7) Buy the 1 u can / cannot pronounce the brand name

8) Buy the 1 that is not made in asia

1.  Marantz 6000OSE LE CD player

Marantz 6010SA amp

2.  NAD 541i CD player

NAD 350 amp

Years ago, I auditioned a Mission 780 and a Dynaudio Audience 40. The Mission was very good for vocal music, but struggled to keep up with pop, rock and classical. The Dynaudio was an all rounder. Not as sweet with vocals, but very neutral. I got the latter.

Then I auditioned the Dyn with a Marantz 7200 and NAD C350. The Marantz was light and open but lacked the oomp to drive the Dyn and ended up sounding weak during heavy passages. The NAD C350 on the other hand, sounded more powerful than its spec suggests and did more justice to the Dyn. I've compared the NAD to amps that cost 3 times their price and power wise, they hold up quite well.

I think if you look around hard for second hand equipment $1,500 shouldn't be a problem for those equipment.

1)  buy the cdp which has more stars in your fav hifi magazine?

2)  buy the cheaper of the 2?

3)  buy the best looking?

4)  buy the one with the most comprehensive remote control?!

5)  go and and start your research again?

Please add 3 more options

6) Buy the more expensive one

7) Buy the 1 u can / cannot pronounce the brand name

8) Buy the 1 that is not made in asia

I would option 5 if all only the top 8 are available.You wouldn't know whether that particular model has specific problems that you particularly hate.

I would also look for more features if possible to lengthened the time before technology force me to upgrade although audio is a different poison.

I am actually looking to get a player with usb(ideally supporting flac), with musical and warm sound. Basically most important is low fatigue where i can hear non-stop almost all day.

I have heard nad c326bee with 545bee. It sounds very good. But it does not have usb and it cost more if i were to convert the currency.

I am actually looking to match marantz cd6003 with nad 356bee(cheaper than nad 545 &326) for my bookshelf speakers.

Any kind advice? Thanks.