• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same old info pls.....

1. room dimensions.

2. speaker placement

3. amp and speaker used.

4. boom by how much (did you measure roughly?)

5. what's the recording that you sense the boominess? which ones did not?

6.any problems with high bass or really low bass?

the setup is in my bedroom. square room about 4m x 4m. the setup is at the middle of one of the wall, opposite my bed. speakers are almost 2 m apart. slightly less than 1 ft away from the wall. using a rega mira and triangle titus speakers. boominess set in when playing classical pieces with heavy drums. didn't measure anything... purely by feeling... ;D

left out anything??

Stuff the ports of the speakers with a clean sock. This will reduce the output of the port and at the same time convert it into something like a Dynaudio Variovent. And its not the fault of the amp. Yes, try changing either your listening position or the speaker position in relation to the back wall. These costs no money except elbow grease. Oh, and you can use foam bungs ala B&W CDM1T instead of a sock, if you've run out of clean ones ;)

Stuff the ports of the speakers with a clean sock. This will reduce the output of the port and at the same time convert it into something like a Dynaudio Variovent. And its not the fault of the amp. Yes, try changing either your listening position or the speaker position in relation to the back wall. These costs no money except elbow grease. Oh, and you can use foam bungs ala B&W CDM1T instead of a sock, if you've run out of clean ones ;)

socks with holes can?? ;D

i think the easiest one to try is to move the speakers...

if room allows, move the speakers further away from the backwall.

if it has back-firing ports, stuff socks inside (as wat DIYer has suggested). And yes, socks with holes are OK.

some ppl think stuffing socks will muffle the sound a bit, so a better (and more troublesome) way is to stuff alot of straws (drinking straws) into the ports. But take care that none of it drops into your speaker!

not sure what your setup is, but sometimes bassboom can be caused by underpowered amps.

if stuffing socks still can't solve the problem, then you'd gotta do some DIY bass-traps...there're quite a few recipes..

Nahh, the ports only affect the bass frequency AND is tuned to only ONE frequency to give the FLATTEST bass response. Other frequencies beyond that will not be affected at all. By stuffing the port you are actually slowing down the speed of sound through the port as well as "making" the port seem "longer". Meaning that you are tuning the port to a lower resonance and hence lower tuning frequency. Try it. No harm will come to your speakers. hehehehe .... time to sock up. ;)

same old info pls.....

square room about 4m x 4m. the setup is at the middle of one of the wall, opposite my bed. speakers are almost 2 m apart. slightly less than 1 ft away from the wall. using a rega mira and triangle titus speakers. boominess set in when playing classical pieces with heavy drums. didn't measure anything... purely by feeling... ;D

left out anything??

I think the boomy sound you are getting is due to Standing Waves, square rooms tend to have standing wave problems. Can you switch to another room that is not a square room ? If not you have to work very hard to reduce the standing wave problem by changing speaker postion, using sound traps , other acoustic treatments etc ......

Good Luck

I think the boomy sound you are getting is due to Standing Waves, square rooms tend to have standing wave problems. Can you switch to another room that is not a square room ? If not you have to work very hard to reduce the standing wave problem by changing speaker postion, using sound traps , other acoustic treatments etc ......

Good Luck

??? only my kitchen, dining room and toilets are rectangular, every other rooms are square!!

jialat... must try all kinds of methods......

Are the Tituses (or is it Titii? ;D) well sited on your stands? Do you use any pliable interface between the contact area of youe transducers and the corresponding support structure? Or are they firmly positioned? If the stands are on spikes, are they piercing the carpet?

If you do not want to redecorate your homely abode nor substitute your electronics, you could try using a different speaker cable like the Kimber 4TC, VdH the Wind, AQ Type 4, any cable that would give a leaner presentation. But other aspects of the sonic qualities may alter too.

You can also try the Zenn Audio stands. They do drain off excess bass more effectively than most. May be a bit fiddly to set up though.

??? only my kitchen, dining room and toilets are rectangular, every other rooms are square!!

jialat... must try all kinds of methods......

You have a tough room to work with. In addition to using acoustic treatments. You might want to try nearfield listening ie sit real close to the speakers, sort of like using your speakers as a giant headphones. This will give you less bass and a more direct sound type of presention. Only thing is you need to get used to the more "in your face" type of sound. All the Best.

IF nearfield listening is properly set up, it SHOULD give one an increased sense of intimacy, and not an in-your-face presentation - hence need to reposition speakers. Also, nearfield will allow you to hear more direct sound and the listener hear less of the reverberant sound field in comparison. Bass may/may not decrease depending on whether you're sitting right on a bass freq peak or not

OK perhaps "intimate" is a better word to describe the changes in sonic perspective as opposed to "in your face" :).

Of course the listener has to adjust the speaker and his listening position as well to reduce the effect of the bass/boom in addition to room treatments as I said earlier he has to work hard as the room dimensions are not favourable.

Are the Tituses (or is it Titii? ;D) well sited on your stands? Do you use any pliable interface between the contact area of youe transducers and the corresponding support structure? Or are they firmly positioned? If the stands are on spikes, are they piercing the carpet?

If you do not want to redecorate your homely abode nor substitute your electronics, you could try using a different speaker cable like the Kimber 4TC, VdH the Wind, AQ Type 4, any cable that would give a leaner presentation. But other aspects of the sonic qualities may alter too.

You can also try the Zenn Audio stands. They do drain off excess bass more effectively than most. May be a bit fiddly to set up though.

using sand filled atacama stands... think the spikes might have pierce thru the rug.... it matters??

cables used, qed bronze edition... where to get the kimble?? any other recommendation??

I owned the titus too. Used to have the same problem as you, boom too much. After I repositioned it at least 3 feet away from the back wall did I solve the boom problem. Now my speakers are about 1m away from the back wall, in fact it's almost closing to the middle of the room.

3 ft not possible... only can afford 1ft.... need a walk way between the setup and the bed...

Guest joamonte

This is where a layout or a pic of your room would help greatly. could you provide us with one? The 'snapshot' thread was 'inspired by your problem... :)

ya,ya,ya!

need my DC to take photo can PM me...........i dont mind go ur hifi room take photo at week end... ;D ;D

Spikes have to pierce the carpet becoz the stands have to couple with the floor, or else how can the excess vibration from the speaker to the stands be dissipated? If you were to imagine excess vibration like heat, and the stand as heatsink and the speaker as heatsource, what better way to dissipate heat than to ground, which is bigger heatdump?

Stands must not rock as the bass energy will shifht the speakers on loose stands ever so slightly, thus incur blurring of image, boomy bass. If spekaers are rock solid on stands, stands rock solid on floor, no intervening carpet, improvement on sonics will be had. Or else stuff port loosely with sock, till you get the sound you like. Remember, no speaker design is perfect at a price point.

using sand filled atacama stands... think the spikes might have pierce thru the rug.... it matters??

cables used, qed bronze edition... where to get the kimble?? any other recommendation??

AaaRRrrGGhh!!! Got da dang quote wrong!!

Spikes have to pierce the carpet becoz the stands have to couple with the floor, or else how can the excess vibration from the speaker to the stands be dissipated? If you were to imagine excess vibration like heat, and the stand as heatsink and the speaker as heatsource, what better way to dissipate heat than to ground, which is bigger heatdump?

Stands must not rock as the bass energy will shifht the speakers on loose stands ever so slightly, thus incur blurring of image, boomy bass. If spekaers are rock solid on stands, stands rock solid on floor, no intervening carpet, improvement on sonics will be had. Or else stuff port loosely with sock, till you get the sound you like. Remember, no speaker design is perfect at a price point.