IGNORED

Will ONE frequency sounded different in different setups?

Guest heeyeng

Guest heeyeng

Hi guys, I woke up this morning and have some trouble thoughts. I was trying to visualise a music, but in terms of they waves pattern in frequency domain... (ie a piano will have different wave patterns compare to violin)

Thus I'm wondering, does one frequency, just say example 1kHz, will sound the same in different setups? Or 1kHz will sound different in different setups? Differences as in... well... I just can't think of any terms to put... but is there differences? Let's just assume the volume is the same, and the 1kHz is a sine wave playing in mono.

Thanks for cracking your head in this beautiful holiday... :P

Guest heeyeng

Hi Tool, nice hearing from you. From what you say, a single frequency will sound the same in every single system (ignoring loudness and the possible bass distortion from speakers). Thus, can I safely say, if I have a music system, or if I can built a music system, that the output from THE OVERALL SYSTEM, ie. the speaker, is a perfectly flat frequency response from 100hz - 20khz, then in that frequency range (please ignore freq lower than 100hz), the music reproduction is the most accurate? Thus in this case can I savely say, if I play back a well recorded audiophile cd, I will get the most accurate sound as in the studio, because I have a pecfect reproduction? I'm talking here about the overall freq response as if you're sitting in the sweet spot of a well absorbed anaechoic chamber, not only the freq response of amp or speaker.

Hope this is not too chim... asking all these because I'm recently looking to built a tube pre-amp. Well just looking at the possibility, to get the flattest freq as possible. Other guys, if you have any inputs, please share, it's pretty quiet here... :)

Guest heeyeng

After mixing and matching components so far, I have noticed that no matter how I match them, I never am totally satisfied. For example a lot of time when this cable is good at one way, it is bad at the other.

Why is that so? If looking at the pure electronics characteristics of hifi equipments, because it's an analogue system (after the source), many many factors could easily changes the resistance capacitance of the system, thus easily changes the frequency response. Even a difference in length of cables will make a difference in R and C and thus changes the freq responce. Thus I'm thinking, can I use some measuring meters at the outside of the system, ie the sweet spot, and play back some freq sweep, and if at the sweet spot it appears to be non-flat, I will then tweak the system correspondently, be it the amp or the speaker or even the cables. The end result is to get the Flattest freqeuncy response outside the system, not only just the flattest for amp or flattest for speaker, it's the flattest Overall.

Think about it, if we could have a flattest freq response outside a system ie at the sweet spot, then this could be a completely perfect reproduction system... Now whether the music is good or bad, it all rely just to the recording quality of the CD and the musician themselves!

...... Thanks for reading so far.....

The speakers to use is preferably full range one driver type, so no crossover is needed. There is still one issue needed to be ignored, the room acoustics. That I have no control as I don't know how your room will look like. If I were to tweak the system using meters, it will only be done in full shielded aneachoic chamber...

Guys, what do you think about this? Have I oversee some issues? Please share your thoughts... :)