IGNORED

Paper cones get mouldy...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm..donno leh..i used to have such a cone...there's usually some aircon everyday...din really see any mouldy stuff..so i just leave it alone.

better not spray anything otherwise it'd react with the paper cone.

An air conditioned room has a lower air temperature and humidity level, I dun see a problem in stuff turning mouldy when the humidity is lower when compared to a non air-con room.

There's no need to spray anything onto the paper cones, just need to blow off the dust on them occcasionally.

I own a pair of KEF Cresta 2 with paper cone LF drive unit for 2 years already, no problem as yet.

hmm..donno leh..i used to have such a cone...there's usually some aircon everyday...din really see any mouldy stuff..so i just leave it alone.

better not spray anything otherwise it'd react with the paper cone.

thanks... then i better leave them alone....

read somewhere that a little aircon a day is better than no aircon. but that was a tip for storing video tapes.

*shrug*

anyway.. my room has less than 4 hrs of aircon a day...the cones seem pretty alright..and i'm very sure the previous owner didn't even have aircon!

...but when you switch the air con off and condensation sets in?

that's my concern too... wouldn't the change of temperature causes condensation??

The change in room temperature is small generally, say maybe 5 degrees celsius, this is provided your aircon is not set to extreme temperature such as 18 degrees.

When the change in room temperature is small and more importantly gradual, I dun think that condensation sets in that easily.

Moreover, I dun think the paper cones are good conductors of heat, so the change in room temperature affecting the paper cones are even smaller in magnitude.

If the metal chassis of our amp dun even experience significant condensation, dun think we have to worry about the paper cones drive unit.

Our speakers are generally safe within the temperature range of 20-30 degrees celsius in singapore.

To be safe, check your speakers' manual for the safe temperature range.

Pls note: The above is only my theoritical belief.

any idea how to maintain paper cones speakers in aircon room so that it won't get mouldy??

For the cones to get moldy 2 conditions needs to be satisfied ie moisture and the spores of the mold to be present. There are some disinfectent sprays that have anti-fungus properties but I sure wouldn't want to spray anything on the cones :) The Colour of the cones might change and it difficult to reverse ;D

Also as your aircon is not switched on 24Hrs a day. I think the best solution would be to wipe dry and clean the woofer regularly with some dry tissue paper.

All the best.

For the cones to get moldy 2 conditions needs to be satisfied ie moisture and the spores of the mold to be present. There are some disinfectent sprays that have anti-fungus properties but I sure wouldn't want to spray anything on the cones :) The Colour of the cones might change and it difficult to reverse ;D

Also as your aircon is not switched on 24Hrs a day. I think the best solution would be to wipe dry and clean the woofer regularly with some dry tissue paper.

All the best.

ok. will take note of that. i shall make an effort to wipe dry and clean them regularly. guess there's no lazy method for maintenance. thks guys!!

one shop in adelphi advised to use ArmorAll to clean/protect their spiks paper cones! it works for my spiks, all the moulds removed!

cheers.............

any idea how to maintain paper cones speakers in aircon room so that it won't get mouldy??

Careful guys,

When you use water based or alcohol based liquid cleaners, overzealousness will cause the cone to warp. Furthermore, the paper layer, if it is not doped, will flake off and thus affect its mass and corresponding resonant frequency. Putting Armorall will add mass to the cone and lower its resonance frequency and will also send the frequency response to go awry. Best is to use a fine brush and pray that the spores don't come back. Oh, it happened to my LothX spkr cones. The newer ones are doped.

Careful guys,

When you use water based or alcohol based liquid cleaners, overzealousness will cause the cone to warp. Furthermore, the paper layer, if it is not doped, will flake off and thus affect its mass and corresponding resonant frequency. Putting Armorall will add mass to the cone and lower its resonance frequency and will also send the frequency response to go awry. Best is to use a fine brush and pray that the spores don't come back. Oh, it happened to my LothX spkr cones. The newer ones are doped.

maintenance is never easy... so many issues... brush also must pray first.....

best solution, don't get paper cones spkers.......... hohohoho......

Guest duckling

The main idea is to use some oil based chemical to prevent moisture to access the spk cone, moisture proofing! ;D

Vaseline? ;D

The main idea is to use some oil based chemical to prevent moisture to access the spk cone, moisture proofing! ;D

Vaseline? ;D

If you have the time and money ;D You might want to try out the C37 lacquer. There are some audio companies using the C37 in their products , one of them is Zenn Audio.....Thorsten, audio reviewer and DIY guru also speaks highly of this product. See Link below

http://www.ennemoser.com

Used the c37 and it changed the sound of my LothXes. Got warmer and less strident. meaning that it got more enjoyable. Oh and the fungus didin't come back.

Thanks for the information, this is most interesting :). How much did you pay for the C37 and what else have you tried it on ? I might want to try some in the near future ;D