IGNORED

Please advise on buying 2nd hand HT equipment

Is it safe? I have never tried before, but worried about the reliability of the equipment. The price is very attractive though. For a DVD player, do you guys recommend that I buy 2nd hand ($550) or buy a brand new one ($800).

Things I am worried about:

1. Might not be region-free

2. Might not work properly

3. Seller disappears and I am stuck with a piece of faulty equipment.

Guest duckling

Is it safe? I have never tried before, but worried about the reliability of the equipment. The price is very attractive though. For a DVD player, do you guys recommend that I buy 2nd hand ($550) or buy a brand new one ($800).

Things I am worried about:

1. Might not be region-free

2. Might not work properly

3. Seller disappears and I am stuck with a piece of faulty equipment.

1 - you can bring DVD of different Region to test

2 - you'll have to test the player on the spot, 2nd hand stuff from users are usually "as is where is"

3 - Difficult to find seller that's willing to offer personal guarantee, refer to point no. 2

2nd hand $550? How old is the player?

1) I second Duckling here, test it with an actual R1, R2, R3, R4 ORIGINAL DVD.

2)Test it at the owners place make sure its working properly, it a fault occurs at home then too bad. Unless the seller is willing to help u in any way.

3) Seller dissappear? Test the DVDP at his home...hahaha.... kill 2 birds with a stone. U know where he stays and u have to make sure it works before exchange hands.

Any manufacturers warranty is a bonus when it comes to 2nd hand.

Don't be a cheapskate in buying a high-end DVDP at low low price and still want warranty. It alots of money, but thats the price to pay in return.

A tip, look at the the exterior condition of the player, oxidation of the socket, screws (must be new and untampered)....... the electonics reliabilty of the electronics is shere luck.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

so sorry to dig up such an old thread.

was searching for info on getting 2nd hand equipment and i came upon this.

i need some advise on wat to look out for when purchasing a 2nd hand AV receiver. info such as wat to test for and how to test is very much appreciated.

thank you.