IGNORED

Korean Blockbuster "Volcano High" erupts in a HT near u!

Guest Jerry

Guest Jerry

I just got hold of a copy of this Korean-pressed movie "Volcano High" which is a hit in Korea. The DVD is also the first to have a DTS 6.1 ES in Korea.

This movie brings to mind the likes of "Stormriders" and "The Hero", featuring eye-popping kingfu stunts with CGI effects.

This is a brief synopsis of the movie:

The place where the impossible happens - the school is suspicious!

It is the 108th year of Volcano High School. In the classroom, chalk fly around like bullets. On the schoolyard, students and teachers hang in the air, competing against each other, using martial arts. At Volcano High, where every student is a martial arts expert, it is not surprising to see tea leaves moving in the shape of dragons or hallway windows shattering into bits with no one touching them.

¡ß The legendary secret martial court writings¡¦the Secret Manuscript

At Volcano High, the legend of the Secret Manuscript - the one who inherits these writings will rule the world - has been continuously passed down. The Secret Manuscript is more famous because it helped the principal JANG Oh-ja calm 17 years of internecine feuding due to the privatization of schools. From the outside, Volcano High School seems peaceful. However, a bitter showdown for the Secret Manuscript is at hand. Among the challengers are the assistant principal who thirsts for the principal's position; SONG Hak-rim who became the best in the shortest time in the history of Volcano High; and JANG Ryang, captain of the weight lifting team who dreams of becoming the best at Volcano High.

¡ß After 108 years since its founding, a stupendous student transfers in!

On a windy, rainy day with thunder and lightening, KIM Kyung-soo transfers to Volcano High, his ninth school for he has been expelled from eight other schools because he cannot manage the power he is gifted with. Having become a problematic student despite his intentions, Kyung-soo is determined to graduate from Volcano High no matter what happens. However, at Volcano High, where all the students are martial arts experts, it is inevitable that they will grasp the potential talent of the new kid. At the brink of erupting, Volcano High regards Kyung-soo as the eye of a hurricane¡¦ Will Kyung-soo manage to graduate in the middle of the violent storm caused by the battle for the Secret Manuscript?

DVD Specs:

Audio Format: Dolby Digital 6.1 EX / 2.0 Surround, DTS 6.1 ES

Video Format: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1

Languages: Korean

Subtitles: English, Korean

Country Made: Korea

Region Code: 3

Year Made: 2001

Running Time: 121

Special Features: CG Making Commentary by Director, Jang Hyuck's Notes, Interviews, 100% CG Opening Main Menus, Making of Film (8 Chapters), Comparision with Story Board, Scene Selections (24 Sequences), Other Trailers (Funny Movie, Surprise), Theatrical Trailer (2), Cast/Director's Profile, Story Line

I will be watching this movie over the weekend. Will post more after that. ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jerry

wah Jerry you seem very into Korean movies eh ?

but this one looks interesting .... do post review after u watch it .... and where can get it cheapest ....hehe

YES SIR! <Salutes>

If you wanna get those original Korean 2-disc versions, you can try

1)dvdasian.com since they accept credit cards (be careful as they sell the HK R3 single disc version as well... just look at the carefully at the specs and prices, the more xpensive ones are 2-disc)

you can also try

2)yeondvd.com but you need a paypal account or

3)mrkwang.com (which need both paypal and ebay)

all three mentioned above are reliable and prompt in service.

If you just wanna get those HK R3 releases, DDDhouse.com is good enuff

just finished this moive.... so how jerry? what do u think of it? i'm gonna take a break and start on Disc 2. But i think i would have to rewatch the movie as the number of characters are overwhelming... and i missed out a couple of mins here and there due to distractions by my gal. ;) heheh

Guest Jerry

just finished this moive.... so how jerry? what do u think of it? i'm gonna take a break and start on Disc 2. But i think i would have to rewatch the movie as the number of characters are overwhelming... and i missed out a couple of mins here and there due to distractions by my gal. ;) heheh

Haven't watch yet. Saw "Dagon" just now instead.

Just finished Volcano High. It's one of the coolest action/fantasy flick to come out of Korea. It's almost in the same vein as Stormriders, but it's set in a high school called Volcano High where the teachers and students viled for the conveted Secret Manuscript which gives control over the whole school.

So enters our reluntant hero, Kyung-soo, in the midst of chaos in Volcano High, after being expelled from eight other schools. He's equipped with extraordinary powers but he's also detremined not to get into trouble this time. But no matter how he tried, he was being pulled into the power struggle in Volcano High.

Although the plot is quite original, it still seems a bit lacking as the emphasis is on the well-choreographed fighting and impressive CGI effects. However, no one can doubt the charm of Korean movies which I've come to like. I guess it's the sincerity that makes it so different from other Hollywood blockbusters.

I would recommend this movie if u r an action, fantasy and Korean film lover!

• 3 months later...

does the extras has any english subtitles? this show looks interesting.

Unfortunately, all Korean R3 DVDs do not have subtitles for their extras. Nonetheless, it's still interesting to watch the film production.

Don't you guys think there's very close resemblance to Stephen Chow's Fight Back To School.... ;D The lead actress is very cute hor... ;D

yeah, she's chio...but too bad her "wu gong" not too good in the movie.

Guest duckling

yeah, she's chio...but too bad her "wu gong" not too good in the movie.

But her " head lights" not so shining leh though she looks cool in certain scene. ;D

taken from dvdtimes:

ScreenDaily.com have reported that Medusa have acquired the UK distribution rights to three Korean movies, Volcano High, My Wife Is A Gangster and Champion. For those of you who have not made the connection yet, then we should tell you that Medusa are the parent company of Hong Kong Legends who have recently announced the new Premier Asia label which is expected to carry non-Hong Kong movies given the same quality treatment as they give their Hong Kong movie releases.

Already known to be in the works from HKL is the Korean swordplay fantasy adventure Bichunmoo (expected as a 2-disc SE in February) and the epic action drama Musa.

Don't bother watching this movie at the cinemas here! It has been edited to death by the distributers so that the movie could fit the screening time slots.

Huge chunks of the movie were snipped off until the continuity of the story was lost. One particularly long sequence in which the lead character, Kyeong-Su was lured into the bamboo forest by a girl who blew pheromone fumes at him upon which he was attacked by Master Ma who eventually injured him and blocked his accupunture points, was completely deleted, leaving the audience wondering why he subsequently needed to be treated by the imprisoned Song Hak-Rim.

A big BOO to the distributers of this film. >:(

Don't bother watching this movie at the cinemas here! It has been edited to death by the distributers so that the movie could fit the screening time slots.

Huge chunks of the movie were snipped off until the continuity of the story was lost. One particularly long sequence in which the lead character, Kyeong-Su was lured into the bamboo forest by a girl who blew pheromone fumes at him upon which he was attacked by Master Ma who eventually injured him and blocked his accupunture points, was completely deleted, leaving the audience wondering why he subsequently needed to be treated by the imprisoned Song Hak-Rim.

Hmmm....that was a needless cut.

It's imported by non other than MediaCorp and distributed by UIP. Just dun understand why they need to cut that scene becoz the film is not very long what. ???

That girl who lure the guy is much foxy then the lead girl.

Too bad they snipped that segment..

Guest duckling

That girl who lure the guy is much foxy then the lead girl.

Fully agree!! ;D

I never miss any Chio Bu in the movies. ;D