IGNORED

FINALLY!!!! warm sound from bright amp & speaker

Loen

I have purchased my NAD(very bright amp) for a year and I have just realised that I have the soft clipping function in my amp> When I turn it on the sound of my bright Mission 771E become warm without the expense of the detail and this is the info I got from the NAD site Quoted"NAD Soft Clipping

Any amplifier that is overdriven (asked to generate levels beyond its undistorted capabilities) will produce distortion (clipping). The result is not only very harsh sound but often damage to speakers — especially tweeters. The selectable "Soft Clipping" feature on NAD amplifiers gently transforms the music waveform as the point of clipping approaches, resulting in much clearer reproduction and simultaneous protection of speakers. One very valuable time to consider using the soft clipping option is during a party. As more and more people crowd into a room, and create more and more background noise, it is all too easy to keep setting the volume higher without realizing just how high you have turned it up. Switching in Soft Clipping will greatly reduce the chance of damage. Nothing, however, can absolutely guarantee protection against cranking volume up and leaving it there for a prolonged period. So it is best to use Soft Clipping as temporary

protection until you can get to the volume control to set loudness at a more reasonable point"

I know the main purpose its not warming the sound but it is sounding too smooth to be off function. I think I will leave it on the function all the time.

I have purchased my NAD(very bright amp) for a year and I have just realised that I have the soft clipping function in my amp> When I turn it on the sound of my bright Mission 771E become warm without the expense of the detail and this is the info I got from the NAD site Quoted"NAD Soft Clipping

Any amplifier that is overdriven (asked to generate levels beyond its undistorted capabilities) will produce distortion (clipping). The result is not only very harsh sound but often damage to speakers — especially tweeters. The selectable "Soft Clipping" feature on NAD amplifiers gently transforms the music waveform as the point of clipping approaches, resulting in much clearer reproduction and simultaneous protection of speakers. One very valuable time to consider using the soft clipping option is during a party. As more and more people crowd into a room, and create more and more background noise, it is all too easy to keep setting the volume higher without realizing just how high you have turned it up. Switching in Soft Clipping will greatly reduce the chance of damage. Nothing, however, can absolutely guarantee protection against cranking volume up and leaving it there for a prolonged period. So it is best to use Soft Clipping as temporary

protection until you can get to the volume control to set loudness at a more reasonable point"

I know the main purpose its not warming the sound but it is sounding too smooth to be off function. I think I will leave it on the function all the time.

I did some comparison of the soft clipping function on my NAD 3020i some time back and I prefered the sound without the soft clipping function engaged. With the soft clipping I found that there was a slight loss in transparency and dynamics were smoothen out. I guess the soft clipping function would be very useful if you are playing the speakers real loud however for my listening taste I would go without the soft clipping.

I did notice one thing about the NAD. The NAD takes more than an hour or so to sound good. When switch from cold it tends to be a bit glassy/thin sounding. I would recommend you give the NAD more warm up time and listen to it again in the non-Soft Clipping Mode. Also could it be that part of the brightness could have come from somewhere else in the system. The slight glassy sound of the NAD during the warm up period can be made worse by other bright sounding components in the chain.

switch it off then listen to the difference then share your opinion to the others too

Just did a sound test with the Soft Clipping switch, I cannot hear any difference.

U can hear much more difference on a test cd than on a conventional CD. U need to hear it with a test-track recorded at 0dB and volume driven hard enough. Anyway, more likely the speaker cones will be disintegrating when that happens.

Some rock and heavy metal tracks can demonstrate the diff. I'd rather run without soft-clipping. Used to own a NAD 2 channel THX power amp w soft-clipping.

I too felt soft-clipping reduced the dynamic range, felt weird at times too.

I played a few CDs to test for difference, and I really cannot hear any difference. Even if it exists, i guess its really subtle. So I was wondering if the diff is imaginery.

Well... some here prefer the soft clipping on while others prefer to off it. For me, it doesn't really matter.

I was thinking, a good test to see if the diff is imaginery would be to get someone to on/off the soft clipping at random when playing a track, if you cannot tell if soft clipping is being engaged at that instant, then i guess the diff has to be imaginery. Otherwise, that person, e.g me, maybe doesn't have "audiophile" ears. :P

Moreover, if most CDs cannot demonstrate a diff with the soft clipping on, then i dun really see a point in a fuss over the engagement of the soft clip switch.

switch it off then listen to the difference then share your opinion to the others too

Just did a sound test with the Soft Clipping switch, I cannot hear any difference.

U can hear much more difference on a test cd than on a conventional CD. U need to hear it with a test-track recorded at 0dB and volume driven hard enough. Anyway, more likely the speaker cones will be disintegrating when that happens.

Some rock and heavy metal tracks can demonstrate the diff. I'd rather run without soft-clipping. Used to own a NAD 2 channel THX power amp w soft-clipping.

I too felt soft-clipping reduced the dynamic range, felt weird at times too.

U can't hear the diff at normal listening levels. Like I said, the amp must be driven really really hard to be able to discern the difference. Its that hard driving where distortion (or DC voltage now starting to appear) kills speaker coils. Thats where soft-clipping steps in to prevent such damage arising from clipping.

The sole purpose of soft-clipping is to protect speakers from damge due to clipping distortion arising from overdriving the amp.

Even NAD says that soft-clipping is to protect the speaker when the amp is driven to the point of distortion. At clipping levels, we are talking about at least 90dB sustained!

But if u are not going to have the chance to play at such levels, set the soft-clipping off. Only degrades the quality.