IGNORED

Advise on Existing Equipment

Hi

I have an existing Yamaha DSP-A492 AV amp, 29" Toshiba TV, 1 Toshiba VCD player and a pair of old Tannoy front speakers (Octogon shape).

Initial thoughts is to get a Marantz SR4200 amp to replace the Yamaha and also buy a new Shinco DVD-2110 player as my budget was $600.

However, after reconsideration, I would keep the Yamaha AV amp and maybe spend half of my budget on a decent DVD player.

My questions are : -

1. How can I fully maximised the potential of my Yamaha AV amp to watch a 5.1 DVD? Do I have to buy any add-on?

2. Is the Shinco DVD good? Or should I pump in any few bucks to get a better model?

3. Should I get a centre speaker for my existing amp?

4. According to the staff at KEC, he said that my Tannoy is without bass. Does buying a pair of good cable helps to improve on the sound quality?

I am new in AV so do not understand much of AV jargons. Your advise would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

I'll gear the answers towards economical since u have budget contraints.

1) Connect a good quality RCA cable (any functional yellow video cable)from the DVDP digital out to the amps digital in. That will send the 5.1 sound to the amp.

But u only have 2 front spkrs, so u won't enjoy 5.1 surround. To really enjoy 5.1 surround from DVDs, u need to be surround by 5 speakers and a subwoofer(.1).

2) I'll be a bit suspect on shinco lower end models, but the entry model toshiba or pioneer is actually pretty good. My Shinco 8700 can't play "The best of Kitaro" R1.

3)U should get a pair of surrounds rather than a centre speaker. There a world of difference in having a pair of surrounds than a crummy ctr spkr.

4)Buying a pair of good cables does not give ur system a bass boost. It will improve sound quality for mid-range and treble. But if ur speaker cannot produce bass at all, no good cables can make that bass magically appear. Logical rite? To get reasonable bass, get a subwoofer instead.

To give u my advise,

1)buy an entry model japanese DVDP,

2)get a pair of surround speakers (any bookshelf spkr or dedicated surround spkr will do fine), forget about a centre speaker

3)If can spare, get a subwoofer; otherwise, just enable the "bass boost" on the yamaha amp for that bass increase.

4)Shove those good cables and DIY yourself for a fraction of the cost. Belden cables are great value for money and its of broadcast standard. Practical & economical.

Because we're working with entry models with a tight budget, the quantity of improvement is massive from the above advise, however, quality of improvment comes from years of trial & error. Good luck

Of course, the above advise is only valid if your amp is capable of 5.1 decoding. How to see?

Search on the front of the amp for the "Dolby DIGITAL" logo.

Dolby digital is the minimum for 5.1 surround. Dolby prologic is not 5.1 surround.

Bad news... your A492 is a Dolby ProLogic receiver without any 5.1 channel inputs. So, you have no upgrade path.

See Home Cinema Choice A492 review.

If u have $600 to spare, I would suggest you keep a lookout for a 2nd hand amp with Dolby Digital/DTS. Then invest in a center and surround speakers and a entry level DVD player.

Eg.

2nd hand AV receiver = $300

DVDP = $250

Cheap center/surround (Sony) = $90

Total: $640 without cables....

Play for a while and when u got some spare cash, upgrade your center/surround speakers and get a subwoofer.

;D

Yes.. no pt hanging onto ya old gears coz they r pretty outdated... esp. e DPL receiver & e VCD player...

My advise... start all over again... BUT at stages... no need 2 hurry.

/w a 600 bucks budget... I would say u go & find yaself a 2nd hand A/V receiver & a set of front speakers...

Then slowly upgrade ya way to a full 5.1 setup.. maybe in e following order.

1. DVDP.

2. Center speaker.

3. Surround speaker.

4. Active subwoofer.

Remember this hobby is very addictive.. & if u r not careful.. will end-up swapping equipment over & over. Thus wasting ya hard earned $$$$. Dun compromise on quality.. take ya time..

Phil

Guest jonlee

Do u know what is the normal (ie not the RRP from the big electrical stores) selling price for the SR4200? Home Theatre Room at IMM is having a good trade in deal for old Pro-logic receivers. SR4200 is available for trade in. Call them to check out the prices.

wow, the people in this forum are really helpful. I am glad that I've found this forum. Thanks for all your advises.

Jonlee

You mentioned Home Theatre Room at IMM, yes I am interested in the Marantz SR400 for a start. It will be great if I can trade in my old Yamaha amp for SR4200. Do you have their telephone number?

dbchoong

Thanks for all those figures you pointed out on various items. It really gives me the depth of my wallet!

Here's address and phone:

2 Jurong East St 21

#01-49 IMM Bldg Singapore 609601

Tel : 6425 6681 Fax : 6425 6462

Other dealers you can consider: KEC, People's Audio.

See here for the addresses.

;D

Home Theatre Room at IMM. Do you have their telephone number?

Guest joamonte

Hi dbchoong

If I were to use component cable out from my DVD player and my TV doesn't have component input; but I hope to achieve maximum DVD quality, wat must I do?

Thanks.

.......change ur TV........ ;D

sori,just kiding.....i think the only way u can achieve "maximum" DVD Q. is onluy by connect S-video... if ur TV dun have component in...

Use S-video. It's that little round connector with 5 or 6 pin holes.

The quality from S-video is pretty good.

;D

Hi dbchoong

If I were to use component cable out from my DVD player and my TV doesn't have component input; but I hope to achieve maximum DVD quality, wat must I do?

Thanks.

My TV model is a Toshiba 29N3DXE. I'll check the behind of the TV tonight. Thanks for answering my questions.

Also since some of the people here had advise me to start building a new HT system as my current is quite outdated, I would like to start off by buying a DVD player and maybe an AV amp. Any brand would do.

I am not familiar with terms like DTS etc. For short I had (start buying) movies like Time Machine and Abyss (SE). I would like to have those effect like in the cinema.

I also listen to soft jazz in MP3 format.

As usual, maybe budget 600-700 for these 2 items. Hope that you will recommend me some brands before I make any purchase. THanks.

Guest duckling

I am not familiar with terms like DTS etc. For short I had (start buying) movies like Time Machine and Abyss (SE). I would like to have those effect like in the cinema.

With your 29" TV and budget for DVD-P + AV Amp, you'll never get the kind of effect you experience in the cinema.

Sorry to "splash cold water" (in mandarin) but it's the truth.

Well, we all have to start somewhere.

Marantz AV amp entry model would do great here. Value for money. Other brands would include Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. These are great value with good performance.

DVDP would go for Toshiba. I use a toshiba personally and seems latest entry tosh appears to have some good reviews.

Great Ht takes time, so take ur time and enjoy movies.

;) ya I enjoy your cold water, duckling. ;D Jag is rite, I will have to start from some point. Dun expect me to fork out $20,000 overnight to turn my house into a cinema. :o

Anyway, my original plan was to buy the Marantz SR4200 and a DVD player. Jag, wat's your recommendation for a Toshiba model say with my budget of $300?

I had check my TV, there's 1 video in and 2 audio in. also there's a S-Video, should I use the video in or S-video for connecting the DVD player to the TV?

Thanks