IGNORED

Triode, Pentode, Tetrode, etc.

Perouse

Some feels that tibe amps biased for triode operation are superior to those of pentode or tetrode, etc. There are even amps that allows you to switch between triode or other mode of operation with the triode mode generally producing the smaller wattage in output.

May I have some views on this. Wondering if it's worthwhile to compromise higher output for triode operation.

Guest hifi1

Hi

1. It depends on the speakers and ultimately on your listening taste.

2. Pseudo triode (not directly heated triode) is NOT a pure triode (normally direct heated triode has small wattage in single ended design) and hence will sound diff (isn't it obvious)

3. Just have to experiement with your speakers to see what is suitable but over time, one will be preferred but it is fun to switch between the 2 like having veagetarian food once in a while

Regards

Hi

1. It depends on the speakers and ultimately on your listening taste.

2. Pseudo triode (not directly heated triode) is NOT a pure triode (normally direct heated triode has small wattage in single ended design) and hence will sound diff (isn't it obvious)

3. Just have to experiement with your speakers to see what is suitable but over time, one will be preferred but it is fun to switch between the 2 like having veagetarian food once in a while

Regards

Fully agree, it depends on speakers and taste. I personally like and use pentodes as it has the drive and power that I like but triodes can be very seductive too :)

Does it make a difference if pentode is used but operated in triode mode?

I notice many of the hyper-expensive tube gears tends to operated in triode mode and in cases where it is possible to operate in both pentode and triode (like the Meas Baron eg), there is a huge "discount on power output when it switches from pentode.

Does it make a difference if pentode is used but operated in triode mode?

I notice many of the hyper-expensive tube gears tends to operated in triode mode and in cases where it is possible to operate in both pentode and triode (like the Meas Baron eg), there is a huge "discount on power output when it switches from pentode.

As mentioned by hifi1 earlier amps that can switch between pentode and triode are not pure triode amps but actually Pseudo Triode when switched to the triode mode. A Pseudo triode connection gives half the power of the Pentode connection. A pure triode amp ie Direct Heated Triode, DHT, uses a triode tubes like the 300B, 2A3, 211, 845 ......

As to whether you prefer the pseudo triode or pentode it still depends a lot on your speakers and listening taste. For example in the review of the Rogue tube amp in The Absolute Sound , one reviewer prefered the pentode connection while the other reviewer prefered the pseudo triode one. One point to note is higher efficiency speakers with simple crossovers tend to work better on the triodes as it'll present an easier load.