IGNORED

Help : PT-AE100 flickering when the lights are on

Guest firezab

Guest firezab

hi

My lighting system is the Clipsal's C-bus system , a single 12 channel relay.

The funny thing is that when the projector is on, and when the moment any of the lights in my house is switch on or off the projector will flicker for about 2-4 seconds. The lightings in my house used energy saving PL lights and those normal round Florescent tubes tht use a choke and electronic starter.

I was told by my electrican that it is because that the supply to my house is not enough so when I switch on any of the lights it will pull down the main supply and cause the projector to flicker

any device that I can put in to cure this problem, it is quite annoying when watching the show and my maid keeps turning on/off the lights

Anthony

Hi firezab...ermm...we understood your problem here but I guess the only guy who can assist you in this "area" will be none other than the Electrician...I think he should be able to recommend you some other feeder/transformer...:)

I was told by my electrican that it is because that the supply to my house is not enough so when I switch on any of the lights it will pull down the main supply and cause the projector to flicker

Anthony

NO WAY MAN!!! Not enuff power 2 ya house??

Either u did not pay SG Power/PUB $$$$ or u r running a Supercomputer @ home...

Ya light oni draw less than 10A++ of power in ya house... more than that & ya circuit breaker will trip.. 4 ya info. ya aircon consume much much more than ya lights....

Why dun u switch on/off ya aircon & c whether u got e same prob?? If u dun.. probably ya electrician have not done a good job /w e lights wiring.

This sounds like a pretty big smoke pot 2 me..

Phil

Guest firezab

Hi firezab...ermm...we understood your problem here but I guess the only guy who can assist you in this "area" will be none other than the Electrician...I think he should be able to recommend you some other feeder/transformer...:)

he told me that nothing could be done, it is PUB's fault

Guest firezab

Anthony

NO WAY MAN!!! Not enuff power 2 ya house??

Either u did not pay SG Power/PUB $$$$ or u r running a Supercomputer @ home...

Ya light oni draw less than 10A++ of power in ya house... more than that & ya circuit breaker will trip.. 4 ya info. ya aircon consume much much more than ya lights....

Why dun u switch on/off ya aircon & c whether u got e same prob?? If u dun.. probably ya electrician have not done a good job /w e lights wiring.

This sounds like a pretty big smoke pot 2 me..

Phil

I think what he is telling me is bull shit and i just want to solve this problem and go on enjoying my projector.

That's why I want to ask around if anyone have this problem, so far the answers that he is giving me is no good. one more thing .... the LCD monitor in my room will also flicker when the light are on/off. The rest of the equipments are ok, not affecting my CPU.

I call up another electrican and was told that if it is the problem that I was told I can buy a AC power conditioner to correct this problem but he thinks it is unlikely this problem.

HELP !!!!!!

Anthony

I think what he is telling me is bull shit and i just want to solve this problem and go on enjoying my projector.

That's why I want to ask around if anyone have this problem, so far the answers that he is giving me is no good. one more thing .... the LCD monitor in my room will also flicker when the light are on/off. The rest of the equipments are ok, not affecting my CPU.

I call up another electrican and was told that if it is the problem that I was told I can buy a AC power conditioner to correct this problem but he thinks it is unlikely this problem.

HELP !!!!!!

Anthony

There can be a million & 1 prob but I bet its related 2 e lighting.. & since e electrian is e person who install it.. hes should be e best person 2 deal /w it.

It can be as simple as improper grounding.. or as complicated as incorrect installation of ya light control system..

I oso encounter flicking b4 on my monitor.. but thats once in a blue moon & its related 2 power spike or surge!

Heres my 2 cent advise...

1. Test & isolate e problem. If this flickering thing oni happens when switching on/off ya lights. then it must be e installation. Bug ya electrian till he solve ya problem.. OR hire 1 2 check ya wiring all over again..

2. Use noise filtering powerstrip. Mine still flicker even thot I'm on 1.. but "might" help.

Good luck.

Phil

Firezab,

If u want, you can isolate out whats causing this problem.

Disconnect everything to the pj except the power. Run the built-in service mode and view the grey screen.

Ask your assistant to turn on/off the lights, aircon and heater. Do you notice the flicker?

If yes, then is a power supply problem/lighting bus problem.

Does it occur only with lights? Does it occur with aircon or heater also?

If no, then its a ground loop problem.

I honestly suspect its the lighting circuits since u seem to mention the lights only, and not other heavy duty appliances.

I advise u to check with an electrician/PUB and check for power surge. Power surge can fry electronic equipment easily, be it a power dip or surge.

BTW, does u computer hang often?

Guest joamonte

dont tell me they mix the lighting point and power point curcuit together?

which mean they never separate ur light and power source from the MCB.... sometime some lazy electrian instead of rewire from MCB or other Lighting point,they use the power point curcuit to connect the light source,thus the "N" of the power point and lighting point mix together......i met once....

have ur check the MCB(curcuit beaker) to comfirm they did the right wiring?

dont tell me they mix the light point and power point curcuit together?

which mean they never separate ur light and power source from the MCB....! sometime some lazy electrian use the power point curcuit to connect the light source,i met once....

have ur check the MCB(curcuit beaker) to comfirm they did they right wiring?

I did that... but more like tap e circuit 4 e electrical pt 2 power my spot lite... I dun c a diff since its suppose 2 be plugged into a 3pin socket.. so juz run internal wiring lor..

Anyway.. everything works well.. juz once I trip e circuit breaker when I short e telephone wires... weird!

Phil

The proper way of wiring is to separate 10A light circuits from power 13A and high current circuits.

Of course, if the lamp is a 3-pin plug, then there is nothing wrong connecting to the power circuit.

But the main idea is that light N, power N and aircon/heater N should not meet anywhere else except at the circuit box.

But unless u know what ur doing, never look anywhere behind the circuit box, coz thats where the hi-voltage bus bars are. Danger, electric shock!

Guest joamonte

Jag are right,dont OPEN the curcuit box if u are not sure.

but u can try shut on and off the fuse switch at the MCB to see that did they mix the power point with the lighting point...

eg. when u turn off all the fuse switch at the curcuit box and try to turn on one by one,u should able to know which fuse is for lighting and which is for power point....if happen that one fuse on and both ur light and projector can also on,thats mean they had wiring it together....though can work but maybe its the reason of ur problem,and its not very good for ur HT system too IMHO.

:)

Guest queks

C bus system is a home automation system. It control the amt of electricity going throu. That is how they create dimmer function from normal light. Make sure that your projector power source is not coming from the C Bus system.

Guest edti0661

I've got the same problem. Not with the AE100, but with the NPS line doubler.

What happen was when I connect the NPS with AE100, while watching a show in my bedroom,my son switch on the bedroom light and the NPS shutoff by itself. (happens a few times). Why?

Guest firezab

Firezab,

If u want, you can isolate out whats causing this problem.

Disconnect everything to the pj except the power. Run the built-in service mode and view the grey screen.

Ask your assistant to turn on/off the lights, aircon and heater. Do you notice the flicker?

If yes, then is a power supply problem/lighting bus problem.

Does it occur only with lights? Does it occur with aircon or heater also?

If no, then its a ground loop problem.

I honestly suspect its the lighting circuits since u seem to mention the lights only, and not other heavy duty appliances.

I advise u to check with an electrician/PUB and check for power surge. Power surge can fry electronic equipment easily, be it a power dip or surge.

BTW, does u computer hang often?

I tried disconnecting all the inputs to the projector , ie blue screen and turn on all the lightings and the equipments and nothing happens

with the computer projected. only the lightings affects the screen.

My computer is very stable :-)

Guest firezab

I've got the same problem. Not with the AE100, but with the NPS line doubler.

What happen was when I connect the NPS with AE100, while watching a show in my bedroom,my son switch on the bedroom light and the NPS shutoff by itself. (happens a few times). Why?

same thing happen to my joytv tuner box connected to my LCD monitor, it will turn off then on again something like that, but for the projector it just flickers for a few seconds .

I suggest going back to your electrician and ask him to check why this is happening. Ask PUB do do this also, I suspect a power dip when the lights are toggled on/off.

Then again, try buying those power saving devices that are sold recently(~$200), they might help.