IGNORED

Best value for money 16x9 TV?

Is it possible to get a good 16x9 TV with a budget of 3.5k? Or do you recommend I get a 4:3 TV instead?

If you watch DVDs, 16 x 9 TV is strongly recommended.

I would urge you to wait for Philips' Pixel Plus widescreen 36" TV. Patented by Philps after a 4 year resaerch into image quality, Pixel Plus is reputed to be one of the world's best TVs in terms of picture quality (check the British Hi Fi & Video mags for reviews). Will be out in Sep, after the release of their normal 4 x 3 models (29" and 34") in August.

I am currently using an old Sharp analog 16x9 TV. When I watch DVDs in 16x9 mode, I notice that some of the picture is cropped by the TV. This is shown especially clearly when I use the Video Essentials disc to test. The entire 16x9 picture doesn't fit nicely into the TV screen area.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this? I'm afraid that if I buy another 16x9 TV this will happen again.

I am currently using an old Sharp analog 16x9 TV. When I watch DVDs in 16x9 mode, I notice that some of the picture is cropped by the TV. This is shown especially clearly when I use the Video Essentials disc to test. The entire 16x9 picture doesn't fit nicely into the TV screen area.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this? I'm afraid that if I buy another 16x9 TV this will happen again.

Most TV suffers from this overscan. The better display device like a computer monitor or projector would allow you to adjust the vertical/horizontal position and size to minimize or eliminate overscan.

Where can I readup on this new Philips TV ???

Norman, checkout "What Video & TV" and "Home Cinema Choice" for reviews.

The local model of Pixel Plus will have two sets of component inputs for Progressive Scan devices plus a VGA port primarily for PS2 games.

The new generation of digital TVs such as Philips Pixel Plus will automatically shape the picture area depending on the input signal. They also allow manual adjustment of the horizontal position of a widescreen DVD display in case some of the subtitles fall below the viewing area.

Is the Pixel Plus Widescreen version out in Singapore yet? I'm very tempted to buy it now. ;D ;D

Any idea roughly how much?

The widescreen 36" Pixel Plus will be out in Sep. Cost not fixed yet, but will be priced to hit the competitors.

The 4 x 3 models (29" and 34") will be out toward the latter part of August. Far superior to any TV that Sony has released so far. In addition to the usual inputs (composite video, S-Video) the Pixel Plus comes with two sets of component inputs (Y, Pb, Pr) for Progressive scan, and one VGA port for PS2 games.

The Singapore launch was delayed because they are all Made in Holland, and the Philips factory cannot cope with the huge demand in Europe. The Pixel Plus is the best selling TV that Philps have ever produced in their entire history.