IGNORED

ROTEL RCD-961 HDCD Player

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Diablo

heard the rotel cdp b4 and the sound is warm with good bass response.

I think KEC or People's Audio still carries it. A friend of mine got his brand new at abt $500-600 2 months ago.

Are you going to partner it with a 8000a ?

Yah going to partner it with my Audiolab 8000. Do you think its a good match?

Heard that it is going for about $400 right now thats why pretty interested in getting it. Any other players to recommend at this price range?

Yah going to partner it with my Audiolab 8000. Do you think its a good match?

Heard that it is going for about $400 right now thats why pretty interested in getting it. Any other players to recommend at this price range?

Got 1 rite now.. quite ok 4 its price... got it around 550.

Phil

I own the 961, and IM v HO, with this price and this type of quality, BUAY SAI HIAM LIAO!!! ;D

On Liao AH!! ;D

wah lau eh, with all your support for this model cd player looks like i die die must go check it out leow manz.....heehee....after i get it, will provide next update.

So anyone willing to share what do they partner it with?

stressed i find your selection of cd player quite good you are right to search for a warm player becos the audiolab 8000a in my opinion too cold and clinical but it is a good integrated and partnered with the warm player should be just right... next must look for warm cables.... :D

warm cables, hmmm me using IXOS (Cant remember which model leow) which is pretty crappy i think...but comparing with the normal stock cables is much better leow.

heard the cd player also has removable power cord which should show some improvments if i were to have the wires replaced.....

I once hv a RCD-02, the CDP with all Silver body. I hooked it up to my AudioLab 8000A also. Sounds warm to me but may lack some details.

Dun forget to use good I/C.

Just my 2Cents.

Have you heard the sound? Looking for something to sound warm and open with nice bass. Dislike those that sound very bright....it is to match my Audiolab.

IMHO, the 8000A sounds very neutral.

I hooked it with a PLINIUS SA100MKIII Power AMP [loan] changed spks to Dynaudio Audience 52, it now has better soundstage.

Just my 2Cents.

stressed i find your selection of cd player quite good you are right to search for a warm player becos the audiolab 8000a in my opinion too cold and clinical but it is a good integrated and partnered with the warm player should be just right... next must look for warm cables.... :D

Went to Adelphi just now during lunch to try to Audition the CD Player but sighz....Asia Sound pretty arrogant saying Sale Items cannot test with a smug look, went to KEC another problem, price was very high, when mentioned price of Asia Sound they became really hostile and said they wont have STOCK and is old model.

Can anyone advice is this indeed an OLD model?

poor stressed...

well..for a shop like KEC that thrives on fast turnover of stock, i guess yeah... that is an old model.

how about a nice Marantz?

anyway guys...do u think it's a good idea to tell Shop B that his price is high, and that Shop A has a lower price?

If i'm from Shop B, i guess i'd be buay song...

Dun really like the ppl at ASIA SOUND also. Got bad experience with them. I ended up buying items from their reseller which is much cheaper.

But they do hv good products e.g CYRUS, MISSION, AKG, TARALAB, ADCOM, ROTEL, JMLAB to name a few.

Too bad we still hv to approach them.

Hv you audit the ROTEL RCD-02 or 1070. They sounds good quite good. Talk to Chun in KEC, he is a nice chap. Avoid busy hrs like lunch time, evening or weekend.

Just my 2Cents.

Went to Adelphi just now during lunch to try to Audition the CD Player but sighz....Asia Sound pretty arrogant saying Sale Items cannot test with a smug look, went to KEC another problem, price was very high, when mentioned price of Asia Sound they became really hostile and said they wont have STOCK and is old model.

Can anyone advice is this indeed an OLD model?

anyway guys...do u think it's a good idea to tell Shop B that his price is high, and that Shop A has a lower price?

If i'm from Shop B, i guess i'd be buay song...

Then you wouldn't want me as your customer. . I have no qualms in telling any shop if they are not offering the best price, and would name the shop who do. Many a times they are very interested to know what their competitors are offering. Only special lobangs then I keep my mouth shut.

sigh...i really pity the honest shopkeepers out there.. with overheads to cover, and a bottomline to meet.

now i know why "official dealers" are so @#%@$@ by the "parallel importers"

it's a tough world out there...

Probably I should go audtion a couple more models, anyway I was looking at this ROTEL unit cos of its offer price....abit too hard to resist and intention was to audition it, good just buy leow but too bad that fella ya ya dont allow audition.

Did rather rub his sweat onto another foreginer customer. Think he is pretty low down manz....but at the end of the day still might have to buy from them...shitz.

Better to buy from others than ASIA SOUND. But I find that their Service Centre ppl are friendly.

Just my 2Cents.

Probably I should go audtion a couple more models, anyway I was looking at this ROTEL unit cos of its offer price....abit too hard to resist and intention was to audition it, good just buy leow but too bad that fella ya ya dont allow audition.

Did rather rub his sweat onto another foreginer customer. Think he is pretty low down manz....but at the end of the day still might have to buy from them...shitz.

Hmm i thought that the rcd 961 was rotel new range of cdplayer after the 951

Or was the rcd -02 are replacing the Rcd 961 hence explaining the sale??

Btw, saw the new look for rcd -1070 and ra-1060 at kec, got a silver metallic faceplate like the 02 series but the rest of the body are still black.

Hi pple,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Sadly our S'pore service industry is still lacking somewhat in class. They tend to look at you from the corner of the eye, if i think you aint buying i aint serving you. If you are a very big potential, good, i serve you well.

On a brighter note, when I was at Adelphi today, popped into ELPA when i think the BOSS was demo'ing his B&W nautilus $100+K speakers. Got very hooked to the sound from outside. He was really very warm and extended invitation to audition the set and demo'ed couple of disc for us. Great service.... : ) But of course dont have this sort of cash to buy what was on demo.

Just some tots....

Hi pple,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Sadly our S'pore service industry is still lacking somewhat in class. They tend to look at you from the corner of the eye, if i think you aint buying i aint serving you. If you are a very big potential, good, i serve you well.

On a brighter note, when I was at Adelphi today, popped into ELPA when i think the BOSS was demo'ing his B&W nautilus $100+K speakers. Got very hooked to the sound from outside. He was really very warm and extended invitation to audition the set and demo'ed couple of disc for us. Great service.... : ) But of course dont have this sort of cash to buy what was on demo.

Just some tots....

Normally it's the boss who are the friendly ones.

Then audition at KEC and buy at Asia Sound

I "violently" disagree with the suggestion. It wouldn't be fair, nice or justifiable to "trouble" another shop to audition without any intention to buy from them and walk over to the neighbouring one to buy because they sell cheaper.

To any salesman/boss, time is money. By wasting their time, you are wasting their potential to earn more money by spending time with you instead of other customers (Who could be genuine buyers but upon seeing that they could not be served on time, decides to go elsewhere).

Secondly, we complain all the time about bad service. By extending good service, many would seek a chance like this to abuse the goodwill. Any shop can sell at lelong prices but with no testing or service, you would probably end up buying something you don't like and probably add another item for ClassAds in 3 months time. It would be different, if you had been served well by a customer orientated salesperson. After auditioning, you realise CDP A is not your cup of tea, & further audition another 1 or 2 more other CDPs before getting what you really want. Is the trouble saved enough to warrant the extra money spent? We all want good service but sadly, not many are also keen to reciprocate by paying a little bit more to cover the quality time these salespeople have spent with you.

Now last point (Bear with me), put yourself in the salesperson's shoes. On the average you meet 5 (VERY CONSERVATIVE NUMBER...TRUST ME) such "test here buy elsewhere" people. Multiply that by 6-7days of work per week. Again multiply by 52 weeks and so on..... Ever realised that the more "experienced" salespeople are usually the ruder ones(This comment does only apply to most, NOT ALL, salesmen)? Realise the reason now??

The better way to deal would be to finalise which shop you want to patronise first. Audition and work a bargain with him/her if you find them worthy of your hard earned dollars. No matter how much you paid for the equipment, you can be sure that it's still cheap because NOBODY I know of (Except Courts, SAFE etc) sells equipment at full recommended retail price because of the intense competition. You'll be surprised how little profit sometimes a dealer makes from a sale.

I do not expect instant enlightenment but I do hope that we could all reflect on our actions sometimes. No direct flaming intended.... just letting off some steam. By the way, I have no vested interests in KEC or Asia Sound.

Lastly, (NOT CONFIRMED) just a suspicion. When you mentioned that they sounded angry when you mentioned agent selling cheaper than them. Sometimes when the agent got lelong sale, the prices are even cheaper than what the dealers have paid for their existing stocks. Such occurances are unhealthily high. Could be they kenna "played out" by the agent and feel agitated?

Yo fowler... cool down man.. ;) Ya PCK family bugging u or someone ask silly Q again...

Yes yes... I must say it takes 2 hands 2 clip... we will oni have an enjoyable experience when we have respectable customer & helpful salesman..

I kanna that "Buy then demo" shit from Asia Sound b4... even spoke 2 one of their account ppl.. he explain 2 me that it is practically e very reason.. "Cusomer audit from A & buy from B" that e sales @ their showroom r too relunctant 2 demo their wares.

Quoting name & shop is a No No 4 me.. coz u might end up in trouble too. There was once when I'm asking around 4 my HTS gears.. went to XXX in chinatown.. then 2 KEC... Clarence was pressing me 2 disclose e price from XXX so I took out a piece of paper /w quotation.. after a while he grab it from me & start looking @ e quotes.. unfortunately e account guy from Asia Sound was also there... (which I dunno).. he saw e price & called XXX to blast em coz e price is low.. I was so embarassed that I dun "dare" 2 visit XXX up till now.. they do offer very competitive price too..

Oh.. so much 4 my experience... heres my 2 cent...

Ask 4 audit only if u r a serious buyer... if u r oni interested in getting e cheapest price.. dun expect much service.. ask 4 price & go... IF U PAY PEANUTS.. EXPECT MONKEY SERVICE..

If both side dun buck up.. we will end-up /w SLS style of sales. NO SMILE.. ASK TAKE & GO.

Phil