IGNORED

is those all-in-one player good for audio

Hi

recently need to purchase TV as well as HT system....

budget fot the HT (w/o the TV) is less than S$800...so far saw the philips new all-in-one look good (with progressive scan some more), but do not know how it fare in term of music play back ? or is there other better one ? i try the Sony, panasonic one is quite poor for music play back...

thanks in advance...

Your budget is only good for those "Mai Hiam Bui Pai" type. But if you really want to enjoy better audio quality but still tight on budget, mights well go and audition the Denon av package with Robertson spks. The entry price should be from $900 onwards. Safe or Denki should have them. ;)

it's pretty good if u just want some nice music playing in the house, and not sitting there trying to figure out where is the singer standing, where are the individual musicians, and whether the pianist is playing on a Steinway or Yamaha.

it's pretty good if u just want some nice music playing in the house, and not sitting there trying to figure out where is the singer standing, where are the individual musicians, and whether the pianist is playing on a Steinway or Yamaha.

Agree! depends on individual's expectations.

Hi

recently need to purchase TV as well as HT system....

budget fot the HT (w/o the TV) is less than S$800...so far saw the philips new all-in-one look good (with progressive scan some more), but do not know how it fare in term of music play back ? or is there other better one ? i try the Sony, panasonic one is quite poor for music play back...

thanks in advance...

Its a bitter pill to swallow, but even high-end HT systems costing thousands of $$$ are only good for HT, and no good for music.

My conclusion is that you either buy a system for music or HT, and if you want to use for both purposes, its a compromise soultion. For your budget, just get something which sounds nice to you. After you have made your choice, People's Audio or Mustafa will give you lower prices than the big Dept stores.

P.s. - audition at the big shops for their range, and make sure you get the exact model number.

Guest hifi1

Hi TOOL

My experience is

1. Audio speakers can be subdivided into many categories (some warm in mids, some metallic sounding highs, some tighter bass than others etc) so which ones are we referring to is the issue here

2. speakers like the Sonus Faber classic series (version 1) do not do as well as speakers like smaller Revel for HT (though some claim that Revel was meant for audio but I think they were tune for BOTH HT and audio so not really 'pure' audio).

3. Speakers like Thiel (true bred audio speakers) tend to sound better for HT as I find most of them a bit too metallic for my music taste

4. For people whose preference is for clean, fast transient, quick start and stop equipments for music will find their choice of speakers quite suitable for HT while people like me who liks warm mids, slower bass and not too shrill highs will find my choice of audio speakers falling short of HT requirements

5. My advise is similar to tcw, a jack of all trade means a master of none but if u do not want or need to be a master, then it does not matter. anyway I known people who spend thousand of dollars and yet not a 'master'.

Enjoy the music and the show.

Hi thanks for the reply.....have went to best and witness those sales person try to 'challege' each other by turning those Pioneer, panasonic all-in-1 HT system loud....they merely play CD...(it was a weekday afternoon in parkway)....to be frank, it was 'noise' rather than solid music. only when i stand in front of the speakers, i can hear the sharp sound......my 8 years old JVC hifi sound better !!!?

i think i will stick to my JVC for audio (but too bad, no MP3 play back)....