IGNORED

Will sand filling floorstanders reduce bass boom?

Guest heeyeng

Guest heeyeng

Hi guys. I have a Tannoy MX3. Quite like it's neutrality, however bass is some what too strong and boomy. I have a feeling that the bass isn't very define, and boomy like a big balloon at the lower range, piercing my ear... So, will sand filling it gives me a more define bass, and less boomy?

I think the Tannoy MX3 is abit light as floorstanders at 9.6kg a piece. Sand filling should help to tighten the bass.

However, you might want to try positioning them at different locations to obtain better sound.

But I think if the floorstanders are sandfilled till too heavy, might suck away the high frequency response.

The only model/brand I know in my head that allows sand filling is Silverline - model Corona or something. Pretty easy to drive, tight bass that can go low and a very smooth mid to high.

The SR17 was great too, one of the better bookshelf I have heard that can beat some floor stander.

Heard them in the US early this year and can't seem to forget them.

Guest joamonte

then think about it...why they design it with a sand filling space??

IMHO it will benifit if u can do it right.

but need some try and error to find the best amount of sand to fill in...

what i did last time was mixing different size of dry sand and some lead to avoid single resonance tone.

u can buy DRY sand from hobby fish shop,if can mix it with lead (pardon me if i spell it incorrectly) sand like most serious audiophile do with their spk stand might be even better.

If the MX3 is designed with a mass load chamber, it is obviously catering for fine tuning - try it. Don't try don't know.

There may be other reasons for boominess.....the room is very often the culprit.

Use sand that is meant for mass loading - follow the instructions or you might end up damaging the speakers or introducing fungus/mold to the speakers.

Sand filling indeed tightens the bass. Try to shift the spks away from the wall abit more will reduce the boominess! Does your spk stand spiked? :P

Tannoy MX3 is front ported, so shifting away from rear wall might not be of much help.

Using spikes on the floorstanders will improve the bass as well.

Guest heeyeng

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Since there is a sand filling area guess I'll try it out with a little sand first, say 5kg each, then increase if feel the difference, else taking the advice from Tool, 5kg wouldn't be too much to clean up then. ;D

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Since there is a sand filling area guess I'll try it out with a little sand first, say 5kg each, then increase if feel the difference, else taking the advice from Tool, 5kg wouldn't be too much to clean up then. ;D

5kg each might be too much IMO. You might wanna start from 3kg first, and it would be good to contain the sand in a bag. Juz my 2 cents.