Grill on, Grill off

Which do you prefer - listening with your speaker grill on or off? Any differences in the sound character?

For my KEF 3.2, i used to always listen with grill off. Sound more open, bigger soundstage and more details.

With grill back on, the soundstage width narrower but depth increase, warmer sound and interestingly, the speakers seem to disappear.

Care to share your experiences?

Which do you prefer - listening with your speaker grill on or off? Any differences in the sound character?

For my KEF 3.2, i used to always listen with grill off. Sound more open, bigger soundstage and more details.

With grill back on, the soundstage width narrower but depth increase, warmer sound and interestingly, the speakers seem to disappear.

I normally listen to my speakers with the grill off as it gives me a more transparent sound.

With the speaker grill on, generally a warmer/less transparent sound is obtained because it's very difficult to get an acoustically transparent cloth. Also some of the narrowing of the soundstage you heard could be due to some diffraction due to the frame of the speaker grill.

However, there are some speakers that the designer has voiced with the grill cloth on, so those speakers will probably not sound as good as with the grill on.

Definiately GRILL OFF for my Audience 52. It's sounds better. Placement of spks position and spks stand counts too.

Just my 2Cents.

My Guarneri sounds the same with or without the grill. The grill is very well designed with rubber strings running vertically across the speakers unlike normal grills and is highly transparent.

I see, yours are with the "G-Strings". :P

I reckon that the so called "grilles" on SF Amati, Guarneri and now the Cremona are more for esthetic reasons than for anything else. First the elastic strings provide little protection from physical impact, and second they also do not shield the drivers from dust. They are visually "grilles" but yet they are not.

Guest hifi1

Hi

Interesting thread. Maybe u should find out first from the speaker's designer whether they take measurement and voice their speakers with or without grilles. I believe diff speaker manufacturers do it differently and some speakers are suppose to be 'better' with the grilles on and some with their grilles off. Like Avalon Ascent is suppose to leave on becos the grill helps to keep the sound off axis measurements better or something like that. Never AB though so take it with a pinch of salt. And no harm trying and AB as it cost nothing. And after that try on someone else having same speakers but diff room to see if the result is the same.

Cheers

I prefer the sound with the grill off (Dyn C2.8). More transparent. However, my little niece likes to come into my rm. She once demostrated a sao lin fist on my speaker passive radiator and scared the hell out of me :o. After that, I put back the grill. But after listening for few days, could not tahan and removed them again....poor me now have to keep a close eye of my niece...she likes to walk close to the speakers and show me the cheeky smile :)

Guest heeyeng

I have the grill on for my Tannoy MX3. After comparison finds that with grill on some slight ear piercing pitch originally appear when grill off is gone now, must be some smoothening effect from the cloth, and I like it that way because my ear tells me so. ;D

I prefer the sound with the grill off (Dyn C2.8). More transparent. However, my little niece likes to come into my rm. She once demostrated a sao lin fist on my speaker passive radiator and scared the hell out of me :o. After that, I put back the grill. But after listening for few days, could not tahan and removed them again....poor me now have to keep a close eye of my niece...she likes to walk close to the speakers and show me the cheeky smile :)

Your niece very cute. ;D

LOL.

Guest duckling

Try it on my Mission 774 yesterday night, seems to sound better w/ the grill off.

But I guess I'll put them back to prevent "unauthorised" usage from my daughter!!

wah piang, if next time u advertise yr spkrs for sale, i better think twice da! ;D