IGNORED

Do u hear a "Tok" shound when u switch on ya sub?

Juz upgraded my sub... FINALLY!

But now whenever I switch on or off my REL Strata III.. there will be this "Tok" sound...

My old Yammie oni give out this sound lately..

So do u guys face e same situation or am I e weird 1 out?

This sub is oso designed 2 accept both high & low level inputs & supplied a Neutrik speakon terminated cable.. manual said connect e bare end 2 e poweramp.. so now I actually terminate 2 set of cables 4 my spade on my poweramp..

Find it weird... wouldn't that alter e impedance of e speakers??

Anyway.. so far so good.. juz curious.. maybe I misinterpreted e manual. hmmm....

Phil

Guest duckling

I hear a "tok" sound from my REL 201E when I switch on my fan which is sharing the same power point.

Anyone can resolve the mystery? ;D

Actually, this happens on my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 as well. Whenever I switch on my PC (using the power button on the keyboard), I will hear a very loud "tok" sound from the Klipsch subwoofer. Have to tune down the volume to avoid this.

How can I prevent this from happening?

You can separate the HT circuit away from other non-audio circuits. i.e. avoid using fans/hairdryers/computers/high current appliances near them.

Or clean your mains. The devil here is the noisy ground that causing this pop. Pop comes from the high frequency transient spike occuring at the instant things get switched on.

But the subwoofer should stay "tok-less" in any case. But it can happen if it only happens when u switch the sub on /off; and not anything else.

Leave your sub on lah, Phil. Most subs will get this "thok" sound when you switch on or off the power.

You may want to turn the volume knob to 0 before switching on or off. It helps for my sub.

;D

Well.. mine not that bad... oso got a fan sharing e same powerstrip... in fact I got tonnes of things on it... Air pump, Lamp x 2, Filter & Phone

I oni encounter once when I got that tok sound when I switch on e fan...

But hor... I oso tried on a dedicated wall socket & e same old tok when I on & off...

Anyway... since u guys said its ok.. then let it be lor.. got 3 years warranty... kekeke..

Any REL Strata owner here or not?? E high level connection damn weird leh..

Phil

Leave your sub on lah, Phil. Most subs will get this "thok" sound when you switch on or off the power.

You may want to turn the volume knob to 0 before switching on or off. It helps for my sub.

;D

Hahaha... still prefer to off it... I got tonnes of gears on 24/7 nowadays.. my electrical bill is abt 100 bucks per mth.. siong..

BTW, paiseh leh.. ya testin kit still /w me.. when u wan it back? Wanna meet 4 makan??

Phil

Same here on my REL 201E if/when i switch it on. Think it is 'normal'. But once it is on, i dun get any other Tok sound e.g. switching on fan, etc. Actually, my sub is left on 24x7.

Txs 4 e reply.. pheewee.. maybe REL like 2 "tok" more than other brands of sub.. kekekekee..

Ya.. I tried 2 on/off e lamps & theres no tok... maybe fan more powerful.

Phil

Fan got motor..... at switch on, the initial current surge can rise to 3A and stablise to 1A after the initial surge. Motors are especially prone to such behaviour. Aircons and washing machine also have this same trait.

Lamps are not electrical-kinetic devices, so initial current surge is very low compared to fans and air-cons.

Current surge causes modulation of power supply. This long term modulation cause jitter, thus degrading sound quality. Short term surge spikes produces audible pops in poorly isolated hi-fi.

Pop sound from on/off sub is due to design flaw in sub. But not entirely a flaw in several hi-fi and minimalistic hifi designs.

Its not a flaw in minimalistic hi-fi where cleanest signal path is desired. That means minimum set of components along the signal path; ie no tone control, no DC bypass caps, no overload protection, simplistic circuitry......

On the other side of the "equipment" fence, pops can mean a design flaw. Such equipment means mass consumer audio electronics like TVs, amps, DVDPs etc.

You could insert a capacitor between signal and ground so as to short high frequency pops. Pops are actually high freqency spikes. But don't do that if your not sure how to.

The best way is really to find the culprit appliance i.e. fan and move it away from your hifi. On/off pop is common but theres not much you can do about it unless your willing to modify an expensive REL.

Its not a flaw in minimalistic hi-fi where cleanest signal path is desired. That means minimum set of components along the signal path; ie no tone control, no DC bypass caps, no overload protection, simplistic circuitry......

On the other side of the "equipment" fence, pops can mean a design flaw. Such equipment means mass consumer audio electronics like TVs, amps, DVDPs etc.

You could insert a capacitor between signal and ground so as to short high frequency pops. Pops are actually high freqency spikes. But don't do that if your not sure how to.

The best way is really to find the culprit appliance i.e. fan and move it away from your hifi. On/off pop is common but theres not much you can do about it unless your willing to modify an expensive REL.

Well.. I can solder a cap between e ground & live lead.. BUT since its pretty common.. I will juz live /w it..

My oni concern is it will damage e sub on e long run.. guess REL 3 years warranty will come into e picture then..

No way I'm goin 2 mod e Strata III.. its a seal box design.. ain't goin 2 destroy my most expensive pcs of HT gear.

Phil