IGNORED

Recommend a Rear Centre Speaker

Guest duckling

Currently I am using Energy Encore speakers coupled with Yamaha RX-V730. Currently I am considering a rear centre speaker which matches my setup. Any recommendations?

I would suggest you go for the same center speaker which shld sonically match.

Guest jonlee

for those who are running on 6.1, for the rear centre spk, do u use:

1) same type as surround spk

2) same type as front centre spk

Same as surround for me.

In my case a pair of rear surround.

Since it really is an "effect speaker" for more ambience and enveloping feel, I think it should be a wide dispersion type speaker instead of pin point accuracy you get from front and center speakers.

I use same speakers as front Ctr for SB due to economical reasons.

My SR & SL uses a pair of direct and bipoles spkrs together.

I actually feel that SL & SR should use bipoles instead, while the SB use direct rad.

SL & SR bipoles to give that enveloping feel, besides, they are closer to the hearing axis of the human ear, thus any directionality can be distracting.

SB use direct rad since the psycho-acoustic HTF would give a direct rad spkr the same effect as a bipole.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for all the trouble and thanks for all the help guys!

After reading the above, I conclude that I can either use a centre speaker or a rear speaker (normal or bipolar) as my rear centre speaker right?

Anyone has any idea if Energy Encore sells the centre speaker individually?

I was recommended this brand Audio Pro by a salesman, he says that it's a Swedish brand. Have anyone heard about this brand before? Does it match Energy Encore series?

I did a search for the speaker I was shown and I think it is the one below, http://www.audiopro.com/products/image_21.htm

The salesman claimed this speaker is even better than the Encore centre speaker and I should use this speaker as my centre speaker and the Encore as rear centre. Any comments?

Calvin,..... The salesfella doesn't know nuts about your speakers lar. How does he know Audio Pro is better than Energy Encore? :-\If even u don't know if it matches with Energy, how does he know? All the salesfella knows is to get more commision by selling, ethically or not. :o

I made this mistake once of listening to a salesman and vowed never to make or see other people make the same mistake. As a result, that unmatched ctr spkr ($600) I bought ages ago is not part of my system today.

The only way to see if energy encore matches with Audio Pro is to have them demo side-by-side. Listen to white noise to both, one at a time. Sonically, they should sound identical, and if u close ur eyes, u must not be able to distinguish which speaker is playing. Dats why I recommend buying the exact identical all round.

If not, the front panning would be all wrong and front imaging would be a disaster. Good luck.

Thanks for the info Jag. I just called up KEC and Clarence told me it's not really worth to buy the Energy Encore as rear centre speaker. The price is about $600 to $700, while the Audio Pro is only about $250. It has the same finish as my Encore, and is small. I am putting it on a shelf so the size of the speaker is essential.

The problem now is, is it important to have a good rear centre speaker? It is something like the front speakers are more important than the rear speakers. ???

Not very critical to match rear centre since we got no ears at the back of our heads anyway.

So in short, matching rears is not so critical, but encouraged to match. Matching fronts is critical and more important than matching rears.