My TW100 installation finally!

Finally, my installation of the TW100 is almost complete. Spend the past few weekends installing trunking, ceiling mount, soldering cables etc. Here it is.....

http://photos.yahoo.com/rtankmsg

Need to buy 2 VGA cables for my Zinwell TV tuner than it will be completed.

No PJ screen yet as still looking around.

Is the greyhawk better or Firehawk better? Seen the spec and greyhawk gain is lower, think this might be better for LCD pj. Any comments? Does Stewards here sell just the screen material only?

rtankm ;D

Guest joamonte

very nice!! :)

seem like u have cover the dust filter too close at the bottem(now on top with ceiling mount.)with the mount plate,be careful of TW 100 getting too hot if not enough air flow into it....

and now the next thing is your screen....have u decided yet?....IMHO tried not to use the keystone function of the projector..so beware of the screen heght when u install.

BTW look like your centre spk are from thiel too?am i right? ;)

Guest damnit

nice setup! :) ... talk about projector screens, any recommendations for screens guys? ... i'm tinking of dumping my toshiba 29" crt and jumping into getting a projector :)

very nice!! :)

seem like u have cover the dust filter too close at the bottem(now on top with ceiling mount.)with the mount plate,be careful of TW 100 getting too hot if not enough air flow into it....

and now the next thing is your screen....have u decided yet?....IMHO tried not to use the keystone function of the projector..so beware of the screen heght when u install.

BTW look like your centre spk are from thiel too?am i right? ;)

Joamoate,

No worry there is a square cut out on the mounting plate so no problem on air flow. Check out my added pictures.

Yes, the centre is Thiel SCS3. Anywhere I can demo the greyhawk?

The height are okay as u see the mount can be adjusted so no need to touch the keytone here.

I am really enjoying movie now at home, the pj really make a huge improvement on enjoying the show compared to my old widescreen 41". Glad I made the jump. ;D

Guest joamonte

i dont know.. ::).....i think since u are here longer then me u should have already see tis...

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=1884

maybe Stevie Ng, jeffong and others that have involve are willing to help u for the screen since there is a great chances u will but the grayhawk... ;)

Stewart Filmscreen Corp. Singapore

118A, Tanjong Pagar Road

Singapore 088531

Tel: 62221165

Fax: 62221325

Web: www.stewartfilm.com

Mobile: 96751434

Email: stevieng@pacific.net.sg

I think a normal Dalite Matte White screen suffice most HT needs...with the amount of money you spent on a Greyhawk screen...one can get more quality cables and other accessories to make watching movies and music listening a much more pleasant experience...:)

;)

Just my 2 cents...

I too think the greyhawk is too expensive, the only reason I want to see it is because it is grey. I want to know how much "blacker" it can be compare to a matt white.

Actually I am leaning towards the Dalite Permwall 45" x 80" (16:9) with HCCV (High contrast cinema vision). I can import it from USA at a landed cost of about SGD1.05k or maybe lesser now that the exchange rate is better.

Just watch "The bugs life" yesterday great color, now my wife and son is enjoying movies.

Are u currently projecting onto the wall?

Why not paint the onto the wall a grey 16:9 rectangle. Add 1" black border around the 16:9 grey rectangle for that added contrast effect. All u need is to ask the paint shop to mix the correct shade of grey.

If you don't like the eye sore of an exposed screen, get motorised curtain rails for that curtain automation normally used in cinemas.

Curtains that draw when showing a movie and closes when the movie is over. V. coool :P

I've done one like that before and the results were very satisfying.

Guest duckling

Are u currently projecting onto the wall?

Why not paint the onto the wall a grey 16:9 rectangle. Add 1" black border around the 16:9 grey rectangle for that added contrast effect. All u need is to ask the paint shop to mix the correct shade of grey.

If you don't like the eye sore of an exposed screen, get motorised curtain rails for that curtain automation normally used in cinemas.

Curtains that draw when showing a movie and closes when the movie is over. V. coool :P

I've done one like that before and the results were very satisfying.

Paint on the wall?? That will mean the wall surface must be very flat...for my case, not possible. :(

There is this curtain shop in Jln Besar that we bought it last time 6 yrs ago. I honestly have forgotten the price now.

The one we installed for this customer was an industrial grade heavy duty curtain rail. The funny thing here is that the curtain rails were installed for use with a >100" pj screen 2 storeys high.

That means the curtain rail didn't carry curtains. Instead, a motorised Dalite pj screen was mounted onto the rails meant for curtains.

The idea was to allow the screen to move laterally, whether in use or not. It turned out to be a great success! The church is in Tampines.

Home use motorised rails should be available. How cheap is another question. I did come across a DIY version on the net, but not that I ever made one.

Try asking those curtain shops. I believe they may know where to get these gadgets.

Will have the Stewart "Firehawk" screen in Singapore the next week or so. A loaner screen can be arranged. Have seen the Epson TW100 with the Firehawk and I like what I saw. Be my guest to test drive the two and make you own judgement. Just give me a call. :)

Stevie,

how does the greyhawk compare to the firehawk when match with TW-100 in your opinion?

Well this is a highly subjective question, depending on screen size, room enviroment, project lens type, both screen materials have its plus and minuses. Judging from the pictures, I would suggest the Firehawk. The Dalite Cinema Vision HC is also a correct choice judging from what they say the screen matetial can do.

What we need is a higher gain grey screen to help with the picture and reject the light reflecting off from the surrounding walls esspecially the ceiling. Even though we watch the projected image in the dark, light from the projector will hit on the screen, screen to the wall and wall to screen screen again.

I also based my judgment from the room enviroment, wall colour, seating position, project type and screen size.

Of course with a higher gain screen the viewing angle and spectral respopnse of the screen are effected. I can't comment about da-lite's screen material as I have not seen it before in action about for Firehawk the viewing angle is reduced to about 120 degree and the spectral shift for colours is minimal.

I could arrange both the screens for comparison if you need. Just give me a call.

Just watch d-tox yesterday night on my yellow color wall, the dark scene is tough! I would like to see the difference when watching on the greyhawk or firehawk.

:)

Just call me if a screen loaner is needed. I would also like to see the difference on both the screens myself.

In fact I will be have a new toy soon. Not a screen but a HTPC. This HTPC I am experimenting with will have the ability to input a SDI digital signal and output DVI depending on the graphic card used.

The SDI source will be from a modified DVD player with a SDI digital out. Imagine the performance with an all digital path from DVD to HTPC and from HTPC to projector. Currently the Epson is the only 16:9 projector with DVI input.

This method will also do away with navigating the DVD disc with a HTPC. The normal functions like play, pause forward will all be done just like any DVD player. The only time you need to adjust the HTPC is when you change resolution, screen format, etc.

Estimated time for new toy to arrive mid August.

Guest joamonte

In fact I will be have a new toy soon. Not a screen but a HTPC. This HTPC I am experimenting with will have the ability to input a SDI digital signal and output DVI depending on the graphic card used.

The SDI source will be from a modified DVD player with a SDI digital out. Imagine the performance with an all digital path from DVD to HTPC and from HTPC to projector. Currently the Epson is the only 16:9 projector with DVI input.

sounds cool !!! altough i dont know what is SDI.... ;D

just to mention the Plus piano 848x600( 16:9 when watching DVD)also got DVI input if i am not wrong..

Really state of the art toys there, Stevie. :o

Thats the jump I'm hoping for in the next upgrade cycle. Full digital from source to display.

It should be real good, but the HTPC is actually there to do SDI-DVI conversion. More like a video scaler/processor, in that sense.

Not really playing the DVD from the HTPC, unless you could just do away with the SDI DVDP and run straight HTPC DVD to DVI to pj.

Just watch d-tox yesterday night on my yellow color wall, the dark scene is tough! I would like to see the difference when watching on the greyhawk or firehawk.

Just call me if a screen loaner is needed. I would also like to see the difference on both the screens myself.

This method will also do away with navigating the DVD disc with a HTPC. The normal functions like play, pause forward will all be done just like any DVD player. The only time you need to adjust the HTPC is when you change resolution, screen format, etc.

Steve,

U have a TW100 in your place? If yes, we can drop by your place to see the diff between grey and firehawk. The price of Steward is prohibitive though.

rtankm

sounds cool !!! altough i dont know what is SDI.... ;D

just to mention the Plus piano 848x600( 16:9 when watching DVD)also got DVI input if i am not wrong..

Yes, the Plus piano has DVI input too, only problem is resolution too low if running 16: 9 mode the resolution used is only 848 X 480.

Thats the jump I'm hoping for in the next upgrade cycle. Full digital from source to display.

It should be real good, but the HTPC is actually there to do SDI-DVI conversion. More like a video scaler/processor, in that sense.

Not really playing the DVD from the HTPC, unless you could just do away with the SDI DVDP and run straight HTPC DVD to DVI to pj.

Yes, the HTPC will function as a video scaler. The only problem running the DVD from HTPC is the navigation of disc. Too troublesome to navigate from a PC as compared to with a DVD player.

Steve,

U have a TW100 in your place? If yes, we can drop by your place to see the diff between grey and firehawk. The price of Steward is prohibitive though.

rtankm

No, I do not even have a projector at this moment. I understand that the price of a Stewart is on the high side but we are still willing to loan you for a test drive if you like, no obligations. Just want everyboby to have a better understanding of grey projection screen materials.

Guest joamonte

Yes, the HTPC will function as a video scaler. The only problem running the DVD from HTPC is the navigation of disc. Too troublesome to navigate from a PC as compared to with a DVD player.

and in most cases DVDP audio output is better then HTPC too..IMHO.. :)