IGNORED

Valve 12au7

noel

Hello,

What is the best 12au7/ecc82 sounding valve .Could i have your opinions on this matter please. I own a Condrad Johnson Pre-Amp 10bl running on two electro harmonik(Russian)valves. I usually listen to jazz ,vocal and country &western .I have not tried others valves yet. Maybe you valve experts could suggest some brands to check on. Also where could i buy these valves.

I believe there is no single best 12AU7 as your listening preference and music system is different from another's. However, it is generally regarded that the RCA Clear Top, Telefunkens or Amperex Bugle Boys are among the cream of the crop.

Depending on your budget, you can choose from the following brands: Philips, RCA, Telefunken, Amperex, Electro Harmonix, JJ Tesla, Mullards etc.

Places to buy these tubes will be Well Audio Labs or Martin Electronics at Burlington Square, Larry Hifi at People's Park Centre and Audio Note at Adelphi. Visit these places and you can get a clearer picture on the different sound characteristics that each tube possess.

Hope this helps.

I am also looking for the "best" sounding 12AU7 in my system at the moment. Dunno whether can get one..

Have tried EH, Mullard ECC82 and RCA Cleartop, all bot from Well Audio Lab. Currently trying to order some used tubes from Ebay, hope I will not end up with fake ones..

Among the 3 that I mentioned above, all are competent but none is absolutely perfect IMHO.

The EH is quite good value for money. It offer better resolution, impact and relatively more bloom in the mids compare with my VTL stock tubes (no label). Overall I would prefer slightly warmer bass, mids and more refinement in the treble. But consider the price it is a good buy.

The Mullard ECC82 I bot from Well Audio Lab doesn't seems have very much of the mullard "family" sound. It has very good resolution and refined treble but lacking a little bit of body and warmth.

The RCA Cleartop is superb in the mids, vocals have a nice bloom and lack of edginess or glare. However the treble seems to roll off a little bit fast and overall sounded slightly slow, I thought.

Due to the kind of music I listened to, RCA is the preferred choice at the moment, but I will continue my search for something that might suit me better.

Keep me informed of your findings. :)

Guest joamonte

sigh...... :-[..be careful not to spend too much time on different brand tube or ur will end out like me...

two boxes of "spare"12ax7,au7,at7,6992,6550,kt 88,El 34.....really waste $ :'(

sigh...... :-[..be careful not to spend too much time on different brand tube or ur will end out like me...

two boxes of "spare"12ax7,au7,at7,6992,6550,kt 88,El 34.....really waste $ :'(

Wah like that you don wan to sell ah? Mebbe Kong can find something he likes?

Mebbe can list down those you wanna sell and let forumers here have a go at it?

Guest joamonte

sell away =loss more $....

but i got lot of chinese ECC82 for sell if kong dont mind.. ;D ;D ;D....no lah! i am just kiding,dont mind hnnn kong ... ;D

I used to have a set of Amperex 12AU7 in my amp but the amp broke down and I sent it to the agent for repair. When it returned, the tubes were replaced with EL CHEAPO China tubes...... Couldn't live with the sound quality (Or the lack of it!) Bought a pair of EH, sounded much better but not as nice as the Amperex with warmer mids.

Kong, Joamonte (Or anyone else).... (THICK SKINNED MODE ON), can borrow your "spare" tubes? Hope to be able to find a combo that'll suit my setup 'cos it sucks so much I might consider selling my amp off if things don't improve! I need 12AU7 (2pcs), 12AX7 (1pc) & EL84 (4pcs).

By the way, wouldn't it be a good idea to set up a tube club, so that we can borrow each other tubes in the search of a good combo? That way probably we could end up with less under used tubes in the store room?

I used to have a set of Amperex 12AU7 in my amp but the amp broke down and I sent it to the agent for repair. When it returned, the tubes were replaced with EL CHEAPO China tubes...... Couldn't live with the sound quality (Or the lack of it!) Bought a pair of EH, sounded much better but not as nice as the Amperex with warmer mids.

Kong, Joamonte (Or anyone else).... (THICK SKINNED MODE ON), can borrow your "spare" tubes? Hope to be able to find a combo that'll suit my setup 'cos it sucks so much I might consider selling my amp off if things don't improve! I need 12AU7 (2pcs), 12AX7 (1pc) & EL84 (4pcs).

By the way, wouldn't it be a good idea to set up a tube club, so that we can borrow each other tubes in the search of a good combo? That way probably we could end up with less under used tubes in the store room?

You mean u never ask the agent for the amperex back??!!! Which agent is that? Lesson learn.. replace ur ex tubes with the cheap ones b4 u send them for repairs..

Guest joamonte

i already stop buying tube for about 3 years and a bit loss of touch on it....so cant give u any good advise right now,i think i need to open out my tube box tis few day to recall some "knowledge" i use to have ..... ;D...

i rememeber for Ecc 82 i got some 80s Mullard ,Brimar,Telefunken(not oringinal,made by siemens at late 80s)and etc but i think none of it can match ur Amperex(Bungle Boy??),since u said u cant live with the sound quality of the China tube...in my system 2/3 year ago,i found that their different with the sugaung are a 60/40 match, thats why i am using those cheap China tube (National) and sotek for my CAT sig MK2(6922,12au7,ax7) since nowsaday i watch more HT (front channel pass thru my hifi system) then listen music.. ;D...using sotek and sugaung (compare b4 ,sound a lot better then the Beijing 12 ax7) dont feel that waste of $... :)

just curios, since u like ur Amperex ...why dont go and get a new pair??

:)

It's good to be "Thick Skinned" but why didn't you give that repairman "HELL" when he swapped your tubes with the El Cheapo ones. :)

I can help you with the 12AX7 , I've Amperex. Brimer Raytheon. Contact me via email.

Using the RCA at the moment, I dun mind lending you the mullard ecc82 if u r interested.

Does anyone has some "spare" amperex, mullard 8136, telefunken or siemens to lend? ;D

Could anyone sell me a pair of original amprex tubes. at a resonable price. You could e-mail me please.

Cheers.

take note that there are NOS amperex and current production amperex ard..dont pay top dollar thinking u are getting NOS (beware!!)

Could not give the agent HELL (As much as I would have loved too) because my warranty expired and my friend helped me bring it to his workshop department for "Warranty Repair". To be fair to them, they changed many parts for me. Some of them were "unnecessary" like my original scratched face plate. Almost new in the end. "LL" Bo pian lor....

The Amperex were NOS. Not really easy to find.

As for the generous friends in this forum, many thanks in advance for your offer of letting me trial your tubes. The list so far that I can accept is:-

BTW 12AX7 Brimer & Amperex

Kong ECC82 Mullard

Will be IM-ing you guys my handphone number. Hope to get your calls soon as I probably see you on Friday to collect (My only off day in the week). Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...