IGNORED

VGA cable

Guest edti0661

Guest edti0661

Read somewhere in this forum that somebody mentioned about buying a vga cable from SLS.

I need a long VGA cable (approx 10 meters).

Point me to the right direction please.

10m component is a better run than 10m VGA.

I use Belden 1694a for my component runs. It would cost between $3-$5 per meter.

Comparing with Beldens own RGB cables:

1) Attenuation is less due to thicker run cables. (impt when distance is long)

2) Interference is less due better shield coverage.

3) Connectors for component can maintain better signal quality than VGA connectors.(Ask for Canare F-10 connc.)

4) Minimal crosstalk since distance between each conductors are larger, thus signal maintain integrity.

One impt point, never run mains cables nearer than 4" from the video cable. If have to, run them perpendicularly across, nvr parallel.

Jag was right about this point...too long a VGA Cable is not recommended. Anything beyond 5 metres for VGA cable can bring about some distortions and degradation of PQ...

Guest edti0661

The distance between my panny and DVDP is approx 9 meter (wiring running along ceiling and wall).

To get a better picture, a vga connection would be better,but as you guy said that anything more that 5 meter would have problem. While using a component cable is O.K for that distance,it would it not give a "not so good" picture.

If I still want to use a vga cable for this setup, what would be a better solution,taking the lenght into account.

Glad u gave us more details on your setup.

U like to have VGA input to Panny.

Too long VGA is a big no-no.

Long component runs preferred over long VGA runs.

This is my recommendations in advised order.

1) Get a transcoder that converts component to VGA signals. Key Digital Transcoder can do this for you. Iscan Pro can also convert component to VGA. Not cheap but really good quality. (If your're using a Shinco 8700, then this is not a practical option.)

2) Re-site the DVDP closer to Panny.

3) Use a VGA-to-BNC breakout cable to break out onto 3 separate RG-6 cables. Follwed by 3 runs 10m of thick RG-6 co-ax. Then break-in back into a VGA D-15 connector.

But depending on the quality of the 10m VGA cable used, there is a slight chance that 10m may work nicely.

My main concern is just attenuation, interference and ghosting.

IMO a good grade VGA Cable can take upto 10 meters or more without any problems.. but use Canary. Canary has a stock cable which is recommended for use under 10 meters. Can't remenber the model though but did an AB with stock (unbranded) and the Canary ...difference was the colours were much more vibrant on the canary but I did not experience any ghosting what so ever.

I would safely add that Canary VGA Cables stock cables for under 10 meters and if longer get the special ones from CH yeow ( they are huge).

Lastly It's always gonna be VGA or 5 BNC ( RGBHV) nothing else matters.

Area51

Guest duckling

So where can I buy this canary cable? and how much do you think it will cost?.

I got mine @ $250 for 9 meters, terminated with VGA gold plug (those that we use to connect the CPU to Monitor).

Send an IM to ch_yeow, hopefully he is not so busy to DIY for you.