IGNORED

does appearance of hifi equipment matters to you?

to the purist audio designers..there's only so much they're willing to do for chassis design. They believe the chassis plays an important role in the sound.

maybe this may not be a good example..but i did highlight it to TSLim... for such an expensive amp like the Tian Zhu (retails in US for US$2950), why is he using such cheap-looking speaker plugs? his reply was...those "cheap" plugs actually sound better than WBT (which looks darn good!) Maybe he also wants to keep his costs low (nothing wrong with that).

that's why i said it may not be a good example..ahhahaha...

what i'm trying to say is, the chassis design will affect the sound. so if the designer tries something different, it'd change the sound.

for example, not many people can accept the RCA plugs to be infront. But TSLim just won't put it at the back. So there u go.. :)

I like nice equipment and I like good sound. Equipment that do look nice and sound good are Gryphons, Sonus Faber, Linn, Wilson Benesch, Revel, B&W, Meridien and some Jap equpt like Marantz SA1, SA14, Sony SCD1.....

his main reason was that putting them infront is to be furthest away from the "noise inducers" like the power supply.

he did not mention anything abt changing cables (since he only sells one type of pre/poweramp cable) ;)

if the plugs are in front, does that mean it indirectly facilitate easy changing of cables?

I recall the Audiospace integrated amp had plugs on the side....

... for such an expensive amp like the Tian Zhu (retails in US for US$2950), why is he using such cheap-looking speaker plugs? his reply was...those "cheap" plugs actually sound better than WBT (which looks darn good!) .....

I think it's more accurate to say, he use those cheap looking speaker binding post cause the sound is closer to his design ideal and voicing of the amp. But not necessary sound better than WBT. :P

Chrome plated looks best on tube amps. In dimly lighted room, the reflections of the tubes in action makes the atmosphere much more soothing.

Regarding hw's post "his main reason was that putting them infront is to be furthest away from the "noise inducers" like the power supply.", some amps have their transformer placed centre near to the front side of their chasis which still can carry out the theory of avoiding noise from power supply. The inputs are still placed behind the conventional way. It still look best with sockets placed at the back of the chasis.

Yes, it helps that it looks good, but if a simple-looking one sounds better to me, I'll take the simpler one anytime over the beautiful one :) In the end, for me, sound quality comes first ...

This may not be possible for others who need approvals from their better halves or parents ...

[quote author=annapurna link=board=9;threadid=4803;start=0#37776

yup they look nice but not true avant garde cutting edge looks and looks. the new metronome cd transport looks nice though (not the one in ref audio, but 3 legged one). looks very flimsy.

Avant Garde spkrs have the avant garde look and so is the Martin Logan. Too bad, they are all too large for my rooms. For transport, Oracle has that killer look!