DVD, DVDP, Cable Qns

1. Does all DVDs come with DD soundtrack? What happens when a DVD with only DTS soundtrack is played on a system with only DD decoder?

2. Is the Shinco 8300 same as the 8700PS except for the fact that it doesn't have progressive scan?

3. Specifically, does it have DD & DTS decoders onboard (saw one at Best but it doesn't have any decoder onboard)?

4. My Philips TV has a SCART input that can accept RGB, must I look for a DVDP with SCART RGB output or can any DVDP with component output be used (via some cable / adapter?) to connect to the SCART RGB input?

5. My AV amp does not have DD/DTS decoder so I'll have to use a DVDP with DD/DTS decoder. Do DVDPs (eg. Shinco 8300/8700) usually come with the necessary cables (analog audio interconnects?) to carry the decoded sound to my AV amp? If not, any recommendations (low budget)? What's the price range like for average ones?

6. Anyone can comment on Thomson DTH5208FEK DVDP?

Thanks.

1. All DVDs come with DD soundtrack. Specifically, DD has got a few variants; DD 2.0, DD 2.1, DD 5.1, DD 5.1 EX. When a DVD with DTS is played on a non-DTS system, no sound or static noise will be reproduced.

2. I'm not sure for 8300. My 8700 has got DD & DTS decoder built-in, HDCD, MP3, progressive scan, VGA out.

3. U might want to double check the next time u pop down there.

4. I would expect the Philips TV has got a component input rather than an RGB input. Component input has got 2 variants. RGB (computer video signals) and YPrPb (for DVDs). Best check exactly which type your philips will accept. Some european TVs may have RGB input, so best double check. Yes, there are such Scart-to-component cables out there. Rare, but can be found. If u can't find it, let me know, I'll make one for you.

5. Does your AV amp have got a 5.1 input? If not, you'll be missing out alot on true potential of DD 5.1. DVDPs usually don't come with the necessary cables to carry decoded DD to your AC amp. witht exception of standard left & right cables. Recommend using Belden 1694a for your interconnects for a low budget, high performance. There are other cables that fit this, but I'll let the rest chime in accordingly. Or, you could buy those ready made one in SLS/SLT. Cheap(>$5) but does the job. The real good ones cost much much more.

6. If I come across that DVDP, l'll post my comments.

3. The Shinco 8300 i saw at Best (Thomson) doesn't have 5.1 output, so don't have decoder, however, i've read in other threads that it does.

anyone can confirm? or i can see at Merdeka / KEC / People's Audio, correct?

4. The manual of my pretty old Philips TV states that it can take in RGB through SCART and doesn't mention component video (YPbPr/YCbCr). There's a mode 'RGB' besides 'AV1', 'AV2' that i can switch to, does that confirm that it's RGB input?

If that's the case, then unless i can find a DVDP that has RGB output or something that converts DVDP's component video output to RGB, it means that i can't use my TV's SCART RGB input, correct? (Thanks for the cable offer, JAG :) )

5. Yeah, my AV amp has 5.1 input. So Belden 1964a is just the cable that i must DIY crimp+solder to RCA connectors? or can LHS Robert do that for me?

6. Saw the Thomson DTH5208FEK at Best (Thomson), it plays CDR/W, MP3 and DD decoder, only bad is no DTS decoder, but it's going for only $209!

If Shinco 8300 doesn't have DD/DTS decoder, then i must consider this cheap option but have to give up DTS though...

Thanks for your help Jag :)

Go to LHS and tell Robert that you require 1694a as a digitial coaxial audio cable with Canare RCA plugs, he will crimp/solder for you.

I thought DVDP with DD/DTS decoder onboard outputs 5.1 analog to AV amp?

Is digital coaxial necessary or is it just better than analog coaxial?

Go to LHS and tell Robert that you require 1694a as a digitial coaxial audio cable with Canare RCA plugs, he will crimp/solder for you.

I thought DVDP with DD/DTS decoder onboard outputs 5.1 analog to AV amp?

Is digital coaxial necessary or is it just better than analog coaxial?

Didn't know you are using the DVD player's onboard DTS/DD decoder, thought you are decoding using your AV receiver.

Regarding your question, I'm not so sure. I believe 1694a can also double up as an analog interconnect. Better wait for Jag to answer your question, he's the expert.

Yeah, 1694a will do as an analog interconnect.

If u enjoy playing about with cables and intend to experiment with more cables, this is my summary of 1694a cables.

1) Cheap at only $4/m.

2) Very suitable for treble-ish systems. It'll help bring the treble down to a lower level.

Good luck.

Anyone knows if RGB is significantly better than S-Video?

Coz i managed to find a DVDP with SCART RGB output: Thomson DTH4200FEK. But it is quite lacking in features, so wondering if the improvement of RGB over S-Video is worth the sacrifice...

Also, where can I get a SCART to SCART cable that carries RGB?

Shinco 8300 does not have built-in DDS & DTS decoder.

Shinco 8100 has both built-in decoders plus support for HDCD. In fact the Shinco 8100 is the same as the 8700 except for the progressive scan & VGA output.

It has an additional mic input & echo which 8700 doesn't.

Maybe U can try belden 89259 as analog interconnects.

Hi Jag,

what about the belden 89259 as analog interconnect ? Read lots of good reviews on the net with some selling them as their flagship interconnects.

Yeah, 1694a will do as an analog interconnect.

If u enjoy playing about with cables and intend to experiment with more cables, this is my summary of 1694a cables.

1) Cheap at only $4/m.

2) Very suitable for treble-ish systems. It'll help bring the treble down to a lower level.

Good luck.

Yep, that will do also. The difference is their size, with 89259 being the smaller.

Analog interconnects, 89259 will do well.

Video and digital interconnects, 1694 will do better, especially for long distance runs since much lesser loss incur in contrast to 89259.

what about the belden 89259 as analog interconnect ? Read lots of good reviews on the net with some selling them as their flagship interconnects.

Generally 75ohm cables when used as analogue interconnect, sound strange to me. Prefer 50ohm eg Belden 9258 or 100ohm eg 89207 cables.