IGNORED

Biamp, Triamp

Perouse

My preamp has 4 outputs: 2 RCA and 2 Balanced and my speakers is capable of triamping.

Does this mean I can biamp or triamp by simply running these outputs at the preamp to the appropriate power amp and then the power biamp into each sets of the speakers' input? Want to try but fear I'll damage something if I don't do it right. So advice appreciated.

Does this mean the amp connected balanced will end up sounding louder than the one connected RCA? In my context, does it mean I can at best biamp using either the 2 RCAs or the 2 XLRs but not mixed them to get 4? Does doing things like this do any harm to the preamp?

Thanks.

The balanced outputs will typically have 6dB more gain than the SE connections.

Does this mean the amp connected balanced will end up sounding louder than the one connected RCA? In my context, does it mean I can at best biamp using either the 2 RCAs or the 2 XLRs but not mixed them to get 4? Does doing things like this do any harm to the preamp?

Thanks.

Yes the balanced connections will always sound louder, unless you use a significantly more powerful amp or one with much higher input sensitivity and/or use some sort of attenuator on the signal to fine tune.

There will not be any danger of damage, but some preamps may not sound their best if forced to drive all outputs simultaneously.

Thanks Zerstorer.

The pre is a Sonic Frontier SFL2. Do you think this one will work ok assuming I use either the 2 XLR or the 2 RCA but not a combination thereof. I suspect it will be troublesome to try to attentuate or otherwise make adjustments.