IGNORED

1388.com

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that they ran into financial difficulties.

How much financial difficulties can they get into when they don't even have a shop space n no need to pay monthly rental...if like tat also cannot survive...might as well close shop !

don't like that leh. ask around, their tweaks like pavanne etc do work, and its a cheaper alternative than buying a new amp, player etc. these guys have the true spirit of entrepeneurship. for every sim hong hoo, there are 10 1388 (assuming 1388 closed shop. no offence)

Not just the crystal tweak. Even their bit88 is really nothing more then using SRS WOW chip with a tube buffer. And they call that a innovation.

The Magic Stone Soup

A soldier rode his tired horse down a back country road on his way home from an ill-advised battle. In truth, to this soldier all battles seemed ill-advised, for he saw little sense to violence or killing.

It was late afternoon and the man was tired and hungry. Up ahead he saw a small village. "I’ll get something to eat there and find a place for the night," he thought.

Suddenly the horse tripped, throwing the soldier to the ground. As he brushed himself off, he saw that the horse had stumbled over a rock sticking out of the ground in the middle of the road. He walked back to the rock, and with the help of his sword, dug it out of the earth. It was a splendid rock, almost perfectly round and smooth. The soldier liked the rock, so rather than throw it away he put it in his saddle bags, climbed upon his horse, and continued into the village.

As he rode past the first houses the village people stopped their work to stare. He waved to several of the townsfolk, but no one waved back. Dismounting, the soldier approached a woman standing in front of a small house. "Good evening," he said cheerfully. "Could you spare a bit of food for a hungry man?"

The woman shook her head sadly and sighed, "We have had a poor harvest. There is barely enough for our family. I am sorry." With these words she walked into the house.

The man continued to the next house where a farmer was working on his wagon. "Do you have a place at your table for a hungry soldier?" he asked.

"It didn’t rain during the last month before harvest," the farmer said. "What little we have is needed for our children."

At every home he visited, the soldier heard the same sad story: The harvest had been poor, there was not enough food to make it through the winter, the family needed the grain for seed.

Completely discouraged, and very hungry, the soldier tied his horse to the branch of a tree and sat down. "In a few weeks these poor people will be as hungry as I am," he thought. "I wish I could help them find food."

Suddenly an idea hit him. He reached into his saddle bags, took out the stone and addressed the villagers. "Ladies and gentlemen," the soldier shouted, "you are fortunate that I came to your town. I have in my hands a special rock that will help take you through the long winter. This is a magic rock. With it you can make stone soup."

"Stone soup?" and old man repeated. "I have never heard of stone soup."

"The wonder of stone soup," the soldier continued, "is that it not only feeds hungry people, it helps bring people together. Now, who has a large empty kettle?"

Quickly a huge iron pot was found, and delivered to the soldier in a wheelbarrow. "The kettle is barely large enough, but it will do," the soldier said. "Now we must fill the pot with water and start a fire."

Eager hands carried buckets of water and firewood. Soon the pot was placed over a roaring fire. As the water began to boil the soldier dramatically raise the magic stone above his head, and then he gently placed it in the kettle.

"The stone looks just like the ones we have in our backyard," a little boy whispered to his mother.

The mother picked up the child and assured him, "You can’t tell if something is magic by looking at the outside."

"Stone soup needs salt and pepper," the soldier announced.

Two children ran to find salt and pepper.

After the water had boiled for a few minutes the soldier sipped the brew. "This stone makes excellent soup, but it would be better if we had a few carrots."

"I have a few carrots that I’m willing to share," a farmer replied. Immediately his daughter ran home and returned with an apron full of carrots.

"It is too bad the harvest was so bad," the soldier said sadly. "Stone soup is always more tasty when we add a cabbage or two."

"I think I know where to find a cabbage," a young mother shouted over her shoulder as she left for home. When she returned she was carrying three large cabbages.

The soldier was busy slicing carrots and cabbages with his sword. "The last time I made stone soup was at the castle of a rich man. He added a few potatoes and a bit of beef."

Several people talked quietly. "A bit of beef and we can eat like rich people," they whispered. They went home and soon returned not only with beef and potatoes but milk, onions, and barley.

By the time the soup was ready it was almost dark. Men brought large tables, women brought soup bowls and others carried cider and bread. It was the most delicious soup they had ever smelled, and to think it all came from the magic stone.

After everyone ate their fill, people brought out the fiddles. They danced and sang until the wee hours of the night. Never had people experienced such a wonderful party.

The next morning the whole village gathered to say good-bye to the soldier. As he mounted his horse a small child cried, "You are forgetting the magic stone."

"I am leaving the stone with you as a gift," the soldier smiled.

As the soldier rode off a young girl said to her grandfather, "As long as we have the magic stone we shall never be hungry."

"Remember," the grandfather added, "that the soldier promised another bit of magic from the stone. He said that the stone also brings people closer together."

They both agreed that the stone had done everything the soldier had promised.

There are many versions of the same story but the one i read was about the beggar and the old lady instead of the soldier and the villagers. And instead, the magic stone brought nothing to the old lady(only more loss), but the beggar got away with a handsome meal.

Well how does my version relate to 1388.com? The "Botak" guy was the beggar and the stones were the "caesar" and the old lady? Well those who believed in the stones and bought it.

don't like that leh. ask around, their tweaks like pavanne etc do work, and its a cheaper alternative than buying a new amp, player etc. these guys have the true spirit of entrepeneurship. for every sim hong hoo, there are 10 1388 (assuming 1388 closed shop. no offence)

Not just the crystal tweak. Even their bit88 is really nothing more then using SRS WOW chip with a tube buffer. And they call that a innovation.

I have tried the Bit88 and it's a crappy product. I disconnected it after a few hours of listening. The SRS processing screw up the imaging of the music. It didn't even have a bypass switch. Maybe it's for normal PC speaker, so I connected it to my Midiland 8200, but it still sound crappy (it sounds better without it). I also have the BBE sound enhancer and personally I think it's much better than the Bit88.

I have tried the Bit88 and it's a crappy product. I disconnected it after a few hours of listening. The SRS processing screw up the imaging of the music. It didn't even have a bypass switch. Maybe it's for normal PC speaker, so I connected it to my Midiland 8200, but it still sound crappy (it sounds better without it). I also have the BBE sound enhancer and personally I think it's much better than the Bit88.

The SRS technology is a failed technology, I wonder why 1388 pick it up. What it does is just playing around with phase shift to get screwed up 3d surround sound. I rather go back to prologic days.

From the review of the Bit88 :

The BIT88’s unique bass of feedback circuit provides a deep, controlled and punchy bass, making it very flexible on all types of music. Its “magical properties” clean all the cold edges of the rigid digital sound, adding clarity to the mid, high ranges and makes sub bass really deep.

Unlike PC sound cards that use consumer grade components for basic sound reproduction, BIT88 uses an unique and superior circuit that provides stereo width expansion. It provides impedance matching, which gives a high drive capability. This is the only device that can claim true life like enhancement to any audio device. It can prevent overloading of the sound card of the PC and control the speakers better.

For recording enthusiasts, BIT88 provides the facility to match the sound card with recording equipment. It also adds warmth and 3-D life-likeness to the recording. Its frequency is within 1dB flat from 20 Hz to 25kHz. Channel separation is better than 80dB. Signal to noise ratio is better than 85dB. BIT88’s input impedance is 100k ohms and is able to drive any signal load. When the unit is switched on, the power to the valves increases by modern control circuits. This extends valve life and makes it safe with any circuits. The enhancement is immediate and is consistent even for long hours in operation.

What a load of bull shxx. The bit88 did increase the bass, but it's not quality bass. It also causes the signal from the CDP to clip. I think the Bit88 will only sound good on those $20 PC speakers. Shouldn't have believed their review (wasted $190 on it, in the end I gave it to my friend).

If they really want to add warm to the music, they should have removed the SRS module and concentrate on designing a good tube buffer.

I really do respect all the views here about 1388 products as each one of us is entitled to theirs. But perhaps, we can be a little kinder to them. I mean they are businessmen trying to do a business. Joe Lee does it by cultivating the market helping many tweaked their system with whatever he knows (rings, coins, crystals, harmonica plates, etc). I think many benefitted from his tweaks and enjoyed it. Some will say it's bulls but those who adopted it obviously heard or thought they heard something and was happier for it. Such being the case, what's wrong with it. It beats some used dealers out there trying to make a profit while not even prepared to provide the service attendant to this business. I know Joe but am not one of his "followers" in that I did not have perhaps good enough ears to hear those difference which his tweaks make but there are others who do.

This post is likely to draw criticism but it's my 2 cents worth. They had started 1388 with the hope of creating a community, a place where audiophiles can meet and share views and of course, in the process, make some money (lately we hear that even public service operators like transport must go on making more and more money to be able to provide a service). They run out of cash and they're now probably gone. But the starting point is, in my humble opinion, good. I do not consider that their stones were a con job. I do not have them because I found them too expensive but that doesn't mean they are bad. Many will say they work wonders. And Joe? Despite his attempt and need to make some money from the industry, seems a decent kind of bloke who I think deserve better than what's been thrown at him here.

To me, the demise of 1388 (if indeed they are gone) is a loss to the audiophile community. Much more than the loss of say certain used dealer at adelphi!

Initially 1388 was quite fun, giving us tips on how to tweak the system. But after a while, all the home-visit reports became just another routine report with very much the same amazing outcome, not unlike 'Sellavision'.

Don be mistaken, I'm not criticising them. It's juz tough to make it interesting.

Initially 1388 was quite fun, giving us tips on how to tweak the system. But after a while, all the home-visit reports became just another routine report with very much the same amazing outcome, not unlike 'Sellavision'.

Don be mistaken, I'm not criticising them. It's juz tough to make it interesting.

Agree, initially they have very good articles, esp when this Dr Jon Wong was around. I like to read about all those CD mods on pioneer player, Preamp design, and other technical stuff. Now they seem to just rely on magic stone tweaks, and their feeble attempt in technology with bit88, which I'm sure most experience diyers can built for themselves but wouldn't bother.

which used dealer? b-1 or 4th storey?

Don't ask me to be so specific leh! these days, hor, this guy threatens to sue everyone who has something to say about you know. So I don't really want to get into that.

But he's a famous (also reads notorious) man, so you can figure out who he is lah.

Guest jonlee

let me guess...A/B-ing cables?

I attended another such session unwittingly, where the salesman was actually dozing off when we were evaluating other brands and he only woke up (literally, not a figure of speech) when he wanted to demo his product.

Are you referring to Eric Stahlman ? He has passed away ...

As for 1388.com, good luck to them ... tough times, these days ... I've been approached by some investors, and all proposals are for overseas rather than local ...

i heard he passed away overseas doing something ...

what kind of overseas investors? you must be some hot shot businessman if your services are in such great demand.

No I'm not ... you seem to be so critical of me in your replies, I don't think I even know you , and I guess I never will :)

I'm just a poor man trying to survive. These investors are my former office colleagues, friends, some attending these seminars on overseas investments ... all trying to supplement their incomes as well ....