IGNORED

tis speaker is so chio!!!!!

Guest joamonte

Guest joamonte

wa lao...tis speaker is so chio!!!! :o :o

can choose different veneer finishing some more...

:o

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joamonte

its at least SGD$33000 if i am not wrong!!!

....$$$ then most of the matin logan floorstandner.... ::)

Heard the Gryphon spkrs yesterday. Spent about half hour listening to it with DCS Transport/Upsampler/Purcell/Jadis Pre/Aragon Palladium. Was not too impressed with it yet - was told that it was very new and not run-in yet. The spkrs took Gryphon 9 years to design and list price is $26K including spkrs stand and the external Q controller.

Guest joamonte

Heard the Gryphon spkrs yesterday. Spent about half hour listening to it with DCS Transport/Upsampler/Purcell/Jadis Pre/Aragon Palladium. Was not too impressed with it yet - was told that it was very new and not run-in yet. The spkrs took Gryphon 9 years to design and list price is $26K including spkrs stand and the external Q controller.

its my fault.....i convert it directly with Euro current listed price euro$19000....but $26000 also not cheap IMO...

annapurna i cant open ur photo ~~~ at http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/photos/annapurna/HOME/P0001465.jpg.... ;)

Guest hifi1

To add a controvesial statement

do not think there are many speakers better than the Guaneri in a small room and that include the full Gryphon system!! So do not think Annapurna will be really tempted.

its my fault.....i convert it directly with Euro current listed price euro$19000....but $26000 also not cheap IMO...

annapurna i cant open ur photo ~~~ at http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/photos/annapurna/HOME/P0001465.jpg.... ;)

Don't know what happen, I can't open it too!! Will try to sought it out.

so would you be upgrading to it? did you try with full gryphon gear?

No, unlikely to upgrade -does not quite like the look of it although sound could be another thing. The Anthileon Signature power is no more there, apparently someone bought it. Maybe the Aragon is not up to the task of driving the spkrs!

To add a controvesial statement

do not think there are many speakers better than the Guaneri in a small room and that include the full Gryphon system!! So do not think Annapurna will be really tempted.

Hifi1, you're absolutely right, can't think of any other spkrs that look so beautiful and still some so right in my smallish room. Until another one comes along, I'm quite happy to live with the Guarneri.

Guest hifi1

Hi

Not to showoff but I owned the Gryphon elektra/M100 monos for 3 years and listened intimately to the Antileon for another 2 years at my friend's place so there are people who are familiar with the Gryphon sound in singapore. Anyway what is the point of reading reviews?? Do u buy anything based on review?

Ultimately it is always listening to the component in your environment and in your setup that counts. Listening to other people do not usually count and sometimes even a bad place to start unless u are familiar with the reviewer's setup/room acoustics.

The worst is the home user that changes his system so fast that most components never have the chance to settle in/tweak to the fullest potential be4 it is carried out and replaced by another more expensive, better 'performance' product.

so is the antileon that much better than the DM100? or the antileon Solos than the Reference 1? U tell me but there are many out there that their DM100 sound better than the Antileon solos becos they put in the effort and energy and tender loving care in bringing the best out of their component.

i pray we are the latter.

Regards

Guest joamonte

so is the antileon that much better than the DM100? or the antileon Solos than the Reference 1? U tell me but there are many out there that their DM100 sound better than the Antileon solos becos they put in the effort and energy and tender loving care in bringing the best out of their component......

not rich enough to buy both Gryhpon back for an careful audit and compare... :)....but i wonder....what happen if a owner (let said ..)who own both power amp,put in same "effort and energy and tender loving care in bringing the best out of their power amp" ... Antileon solos suppose to be better...at least in hifi factor like tranparency and etc,right??? ;)

Guest hifi1

True true but how do u know?? Maybe the owner is just changing to the latest and greatest rite? When u say the Antileon bass is tighter, goes deeper, more transparent etc etc and so u upgrade, only u know the real reason. surely u do not tell others u upgrade becos the Antileon is better reviewed!! (although this is prob the reason). So again how do u know the owner upgrade becos of 'better' sound or 'better' audiophile acceptance. When others visit his 'new' antileon system, what do u think they will say?? that the DM 100 sound better? Come on they read Stereophile, TAS, audiophile etc etc. Of course they say the same thing as the reviewer and hence support the owner in his 'wise' choice!!!

I am not arguing that antileon is better or worse sounding than Dm100, rather the whole thing abt newer component replacing older series component in the name of 'better' sound. I am not too sure abt the 'experience' of the fellow forumners here but from my personal experience, there ARE MANY rich rich audiophiles that simply do not listen to music but have the latest and greatest toys to be replaced by greater and more expensive ones next year.

Just look at the whole group of MBLs convert a few years back and out goes all the ML 33s,33.5s, 333, 32, Revel Ultimate Salons, Revel Gems, 30.5,31.5s, Wadia 27i/270 etc etc. do u say they are inferior products or 'unfortunate' products? In the hand of an experience audiophile, these unwanted products will match any other worthy products in the market but alas there are many factors affecting component/system upgrading and sound in the highest priced product actually play the least part!!!

Becos of my past experience and close association with some dealers, I have insights into some things and hence my apprehension of 'upgrading' for better sound in the highest priced components. For fellow brothers here, I am sure most upgrade for 'better and more suitable' sound but I always caution people against quoting too much from reviews, taking info from reviews and used it as if it is your own opinion (after auditioning a component for 30 mins).

Cheers

Guest joamonte

hi hifi1,

i see ur point....

IMHO i believe actually there r audiophile upgrading their EQment NOT ONLY base on the review they had saw....some of them spend $ upgrade their Eqment simply becoz they believe in the manufacter way of "ranking" their product (eg.SF line 1 to line 3 , DM-100 to Antileon solos ...).

BTW ur right when u say that newer product not alway mean better product from past experence~~~sometime its only becoz the manufacter need some new product to wake up their sale.... :-\

but ,if we never try,how can we know is the new one, or higher ranking product sound better or worse?

therfore i rather believe that in most cases(....ur right,not always ... :) ),newer or higher model means "better sonic perfornment" unless many "review" ,or ppls/owner's opinion say it is worse then old one....(eg Roger studio 3 vs LS 3/5A)

hope i never misunderstand ur point coz my english is not very good.

:)

Guest hifi1

Hi

How a manufacturer line up their product line is up to them but most follow a basic skeleton structure and add more power/driving force as the power amp model goes up.

So if u do not need that power, u do not need to pay for the top of the line power amp.

so take SF as example.

Power 1, Power 2 and Power 3 power amps

Line 1, Line2 and Line 3 pre.

Power 3 is the mono version of Power 2. If u have an easy load and a small room, your money may be wiser spent on other components/room treatment instead of going for the Power 3. If u have UNLIMITED money, then of course u get the ULTIMATE priced equipments. I assume since u have an ultimate/unlimted budget, your room will be huge and properly proportioned and hence u need that time of equipments. In real life however, our listening space is always not ideal and upgrading to newer specs may not be the answer. that is where tender loving care comes in (TLC).

If the TLC owner chooses a new component after careful comparison, then fine. I am not a judge of that but my post is just to caution against blind upgrading.

Regards

Guest joamonte

1, audiophiles have changing tastes, changing sonic trends..maybe this 5 years it is 'transparency, detailed sound', then next 5 years it is 'get me more music, PRaT etc', then further 5 years it would 'flat flat flat freq response in anechoic environment' etc. etc. So the equipment may be designed and 'voiced' towards the audiophile's taste. IMHO, you gain some, you lose some. Even if the product is better in every way than the pervious version, the cost will surely shoot up. Can you psychologically accept a product that is better in

every way than the older version, yet cheaper? Would you find it suspicious?

i do think HiFi Eqment sometime can be better in every way than the older version yet cheaper....like CDP,DAC,SPK and etc....even for tube amp like the new ARC tube amp VT150 sound better then the old M300 in the 80s,or at least its not so noise(did compare at my friend house....

Guest hifi1

Hi gas

Sorry I am not selling the elektra. Mine was sold 5 years ago.

My point is

1. Read reviews but do not take them as gospel truth. Who is this Mumbai guy anyway and why should we be so excited abt him owning and writing abt Gryphon amps?

2. Yes we cannot get Gryphon amps to your house for audition but have u been to the showroom, built up a raltionship with the dealer and listen to it in the showroom for 3 years (while saving the money) with diff combination of equipments etc till u buy it (if u buy it).

3. Yes u talk to audiophiles but who do u talk to and what do u talk abt? What is the point of us discussing abt our 30 to 60 mins impression of Jadis 100 monos if we have not live with it in our home? Of course if annapurna joins in, then it is good. He owns the amp and live with it!! Then we have to consider his constraints/room acoustic and form our conclusion on the sound. If u ahve not been to annapurna's place and listen to his system over some time, then what annapurna say will not make more sense to u, rite? If he says the bass is tight, the mid is sweet etc what standard is he referring to?? How sweet is sweet and how much sweeter than an audiospace integrated?????

If u know the dealer long enough and well enough and u are serious abt geting the equipments, u are able to loan it. No dealer will just lend u their megabucks equipments if they do not know u. what if u 'shorted' the amps? I buy my things 2nd hand becos I cannot afford them new. However that does not mean u cannot have a good relationship with the dealer. Most high end shop that I am familiar with I do not buy their products but it does not forbid me making friends with the owner/salesman. How u do it is up to u.

Yes listening at other's place, sharing life's pleasures is great. I am not against that but speaking, commenting without actual experience and thoughts is something i am against. If u hear loose bass in someone's house, is it becos of the equipments or room? If your tight bass system is brought over to his place, maybe the bass is even 'looser'! so there is no conclusion unless extensively 'tested' and 'listened' to.

Which is why there are lots of reasons for a 2nd hand product coming out and sound sometimes is not a reason. I am familiar with the Antileon but did not buy it becos of size and heat, not sound. I never wanted the best sound becos it comes at a price and I am not prepared to sacrifice for that. It does not mean the M100s are better and I never implied that.

For me at that time, the M100s were enough.

Attending shows etc are for product knowledge. they have nothing to do with the actual sound of the component in your system. And yes, the only way is for the component to be in your system.

and buying hi fi is really simple. U do all the legwork, listen to it for soemtime and if ua re serious, ultralinear, refereence, AVp will be scambling to answer your phone and setting their system in your house. they will prob know u by then and will not hesitate to sell u their product. If u have that attitude that try, try with no seious intention or budget to buy,then I am afraid that will not work.

happy sharing!!

Guest joamonte

Hi

How a manufacturer line up their product line is up to them but most follow a basic skeleton structure and add more power/driving force as the power amp model goes up.

So if u do not need that power, u do not need to pay for the top of the line power amp.

so take SF as example.

Power 1, Power 2 and Power 3 power amps

Line 1, Line2 and Line 3 pre.

Power 3 is the mono version of Power 2. If u have an easy load and a small room, your money may be wiser spent on other components/room treatment instead of going for the Power 3. If u have UNLIMITED money, then of course u get the ULTIMATE priced equipments. I assume since u have an ultimate/unlimted budget, your room will be huge and properly proportioned and hence u need that time of equipments. In real life however, our listening space is always not ideal and upgrading to newer specs may not be the answer. that is where tender loving care comes in (TLC).

If the TLC owner chooses a new component after careful comparison, then fine. I am not a judge of that but my post is just to caution against blind upgrading.

Regards

i also against blind upgrading,but sometime many hifi owner upgrade their Eqment is becoz they want to upgrade their weaker link to match their other ;)" tender loving care (TLC)" high end Eqment...

just curious,we dont need power 3 if we dont have big space and hi end EQment....then how to decide on line 1 ,line 2,line3 ?its something to do with too much power or not too??

Guest hifi1

Hi gas

To clarify some issues

1. If I have no intention of buying new from a dealer, I will never loaned it from the dealer just to see if it fit my 'system' and 'listening taste'.

2. For the few times I actually borrowed from any shop, the return rate is zero. I have a 100% record of buying everything I borrowed simply becos I do my homework and only borrow to make the final confirmation. I am sorry u just have to take my word for it.

3. That said, if there is an equipment I like, like my previous Sonus Faber Electa amator, I made friend with the shop, listen to it for abt 3 years while I save the money and at the end of the period I have listened to it partnered by no less than 15 different systems and the chance of making a 'rash' purchase was minimized. I bot it from my dealer friend naturally. I must highlight the fact that in the 3 years, I never requested the dealer to set up anything for me. I just walked into the showroom, listen to whatever was hooked up, help a little in the shop etc. Never had I imposed and create a liability for the shop owner. Maybe that was why it took me so long to buy it. Even if I were to buy it used elsewhere, the shop keeper still regards me as a friend (we still are) becos I did not at anytime create a liability or an economic cost to the shop.

4. The M100s and the Antileon is in a diff league. The pricing and construction is so diff that there is no comparison but the antileon and the antileon signature??? If u own the sonata and antileon, surely u are in a position to give your listening experience. The value of that opinion will depend on the person asking it. If he is familiar with your setup, he will benefit greatly but if he is totally alien, then the fact that he does not even know the size of your listening room makes the comments less useful becos there is no reference point to begin with.

5. If I still have the electra and M100s, I may arbituarily assign a 5 for the system sound. If I hear the Antileon/elektra over at my friend's place (over 3 years and at least once a month including bringing the M100s to compare), and I assigned a value of 7, then it may be easier for someone who listen to my E/M100 system to understand the diff between the Antileon and the M100s (value 7 against 5). this is arbitrarily, not absolute 40% diff of course.

6. We are not talking abt the reviewer's skills or his listening taste etc. This is a case of not having a reference point.

7. Anyway I think I have dwell enough on this subject. How one chooses a system and spend his hard earned money is his perogative. I am just sharing how I feel abt this hobby and guess that after so many years I have something that works for me and it is up to the individual to find his own way through the maze.

8. and if my thoughts and views are extreme, please do not take to heart because of my skeptism. U guys can continue to enlighten each other on how this or that sound but my final advise is if u are serious abt a piece of equipment, try to listen to it over a period of time is as many combination as possible. Once u do that and is familiar with the sound in the showroom (same showroom of course), then making the final plunge and requesting a home trial should not be a problem and the chances of a non fitting equipment is down to almost zero. And please buy it from the dealer! If your intention is to buy a used piece, do the above except request a home trial. U will still be able to carry a friendly relationship with the dealer in this case.

Just my worthless 2 cents to be ignored if I do not make any sense to u.

:) :)

Cheers :) :)

Guest joamonte

wow....r u 3 ppls Occupation~~lawer???.... ;D

ok lah!ok lah!...we all share the same hobby,but how we decide what is the best way to buy/review/understand a pc of HiFi EQment are quite different,its all base on our pass experience...so we shouldn't say who is 100% right or who is 100% wrong...

for me,i sure get to discover some different pt of view about tis hobby from other audiophiles thru above discussion...and thats good!!!it make us understand and learn to respect other pt of view after that IMO...

Peace lah.... :)

quite curious... r u all from university?...the english u all use ,so chim to me.... ;D

Guest hifi1

Hi

U are absolutely correct. How we go abt doing things is up to us. this forum is just a place to share our differing views and there is no absolute way to do things and certainly no right and wrong.

If my posts suggest otherwise, then I am at fault and I apologize for it. My intention was never to put myself in a elevated position and judge others. However it will always help if anyone commenting on sound/equipments can give a reference so people reading will have a clearer picture of what is said.

May the force be with u.

Regards

Guest joamonte

dunno about the rest, but me just average s'porean working hard for my chao guo tiao and my mbl 101d omnidirectional radialstrahler in diamond artic finish.

wow...so u own the MBL 101d~~one of my dream spk.... :o

Guest powerman

wow...so u own the MBL 101d~~one of my dream spk.... :o

i don't dare to dream this pair because my dream always come true! :-[

with 101d, i think i need at least a pair of mbl 9008. don't dare to dream 9011 as well. ;D

btw, gas, how much is the 101D? itch...itch...

Guest powerman

no i don't own it but i work hard so i can own it.

think the price is $30k something.

i'm itching...call Coherence Audio (former avp) and

it's 42k for the 101d... do you hv better lobang?