IGNORED

Need clarification on viewing distance

My pending HT room will put me at a viewing distance of ~ 12 feet from the screen. Done some calculations and the numbers indicate that at 12 feet I can have a 100" diagonal screen. However, a couple of shops say this too big!

Anyone can help me clarify? Esp those with the Epson TW100. By the way, can I ceiling mount the projector at 12-13 feet away? Thanks guys.

Too big?!?!?!..........Its not too big. It will be fine. I too watch TV on 100" everyday, and I enjoy it even more than my 29" CRT tv.

Don't listen to sour grapes speaking. If they widen their horizon, they'll actually find that nothing beats the exprience of big screen. Which shops anyway?

Once migrated to projectors, I had never liked anything else smaller. Even watching on those rear projection TVs got no more kick, let alone on a 29".

Its the norm to mount projectors that far back anyway.

In fact, if you are using a 16:9 PJ, such as the TW100, the screen should be 90" wide, in order for you to enjoy the full impact. It is meant to be widescreen.

But this is of course subject to your room size, 100" diag picture would be projected on about an 84" wide screen and it is quite common for many 4:3 Pjs already projecting 80" wide size, so a 16:9 picture would seem small on an 84" wide screen in comparison to a 4:3 picture.

I think the first initial HD-2 pjs in S'pore will break the S$7K price barrier. This should be in early-mid 2003.

Come end 2004, price should be about S$4k.

Very difficult to predict that this will happen, but thats my roadmap estimate for DLP HD-2 pjs.

So, if can wait, wait for HD-2 for a couple of years. Its gonna be a stunner. It might bring LCD techology to the edge of obsolence if it lives up to its promise of being cheaper to produce than todays HD-1 DLP pjs.

Else, enjoy with a cheap Panny in the interim and save up for the next big thing when it comes. This would be my plan.

Todays HD-2 DLPs in US are available surprisingly cheap, but none available yet in Singapore. Still hearing of bugs yet to be ironed out.

Guest jonlee

I'm currently using a 70"x70" = 98.99" diag screen currently with a 4:3 LCD projector in a typical HDB room (not the master bedroom).

For 4:3 movies, image size = 70"x52.5" = 87.5" diag

For 16:9 movies, image zise = 70"x39.375" = 80.3" diag

Sitting position is about 10 feet from the screen, barely ok.

My pending HT room will put me at a viewing distance of ~ 12 feet from the screen. Done some calculations and the numbers indicate that at 12 feet I can have a 100" diagonal screen. However, a couple of shops say this too big!

Anyone can help me clarify? Esp those with the Epson TW100. By the way, can I ceiling mount the projector at 12-13 feet away? Thanks guys.

Hi Swan,

I am using a TW100 and have mounted my pj on the ceiling about 10.5 feet away from the wall (screen) at the moment. This distance is able to cover the 100" diag and smaller or slightly larger if you want.

Seriously, my advise would be buy the pj you want(tw100 or not) and test out the screen size at home at the mounting location you want (if possible) and your favorite sitting location. To someone else 100" diag. maybe okay to them but it may be too big or small for yourself. Test the screen size with a coupler of movie and you'll see if your eyes feel strain or head feel giddy like watching movie in theater sitting at first row.

I have not purchase my pj screen yet as I am still playing around with the size of the screen and then deciding what to buy later.

Let me know if you are interested in getting screen from oversea. I have some quotes for Dalite Permwall with High Contrast Cinema Vision (grey) 45 x 80" but perhaps ordering 2 maybe cheaper or the shipment maybe less compared to just 1 unit.

regards ;D