Recommend a Universal Remote Control

Howdy!

Where can I purchase a good universal remote control? What brand is available and reliable or at least simple to program?

No need to be those digital touch screen type... want something which my parents can easily use.

Thanks. ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend a programmable remote rather than a universal remote.

A universal remote is not the same as a programmable remote.

Prog remote must have original remote to beam actual IR code so as to learn this specific code. Universal remote has a set of brand generic codes pre-programmed into the remote, thus no need for original remote for learning.

Sony has one such prog. remote selling for just about $79. Its model is : RM-VL700T

Sony has one such prog. remote selling for just about $79. Its model is : RM-VL700T

Hey Jag, did u see any shops selling this Sony yet? The catalog says it won't be here still Aug or so..

Guest damnit

juz got the control yesterday night ... so far so good ... use the default control codes for a sony wega tv, toshiba vcr and sony dvd (1st generation) player ... took me another few minutes to program the remote to learn how to control the jvc cd player ...

out of curiousity, i tried to learn the air-con and woot!!! i got the remote to turn on and off the air-con in secs!!! :) ... heh but too bad cannot adjust temperature and speed lah :P

tonite will try with the yamaha receiver, samsung dvd player and toshiba tv ...

Guest duckling

juz got the control yesterday night ... so far so good ... use the default control codes for a sony wega tv, toshiba vcr and sony dvd (1st generation) player ... took me another few minutes to program the remote to learn how to control the jvc cd player ...

out of curiousity, i tried to learn the air-con and woot!!! i got the remote to turn on and off the air-con in secs!!! :) ... heh but too bad cannot adjust temperature and speed lah :P

tonite will try with the yamaha receiver, samsung dvd player and toshiba tv ...

Hi damnit,

where did you get it and how much did you pay?

Guest damnit

heh duckling u censored my name???!!! :P

u r too slow liao ... tcw called me to ask me where to buy ... hehehhee ... anyway i got it at the showroom at sony bugis junction ... its not the one where they displayed all the TVs and stuff ... there's another showroom on the opposite building 3rd floor ... above billy bombers ... can juz walk over the "bridge" from the door juz outside the v8 showroom ..

as for the price, its $79 for the 700 and $99 for the 900 ... main diff i gathered is the number of devices that can be controlled and the material used

Guest duckling

u r too slow liao ... tcw called me to ask me where to buy ... hehehhee ... anyway i got it at the showroom at sony bugis junction ... its not the one where they displayed all the TVs and stuff ... there's another showroom on the opposite building 3rd floor ... above billy bombers ... can juz walk over the "bridge" from the door juz outside the v8 showroom ..

as for the price, its $79 for the 700 and $99 for the 900 ... main diff i gathered is the number of devices that can be controlled and the material used

Thanks...maybe I'll get it too.

BTW, where have you been, long time no see?

Guest damnit

oh been bzzzz, real bzzz ... cos my wife expecting our 1st kid ... heh ... so no much time left for me to play around :)

oh for those interested for the codes, can go to http://www.remotecentral.com to check out the review and the programmable codes as well

Thanks for the info. :)

Will wait to see if the remote can operate SCV's set-top box before buying. Personally, I have always considered $100 as the true (maximum) value of any Universal remote.

BTW, I think the Forum is set by default to censor certain words using stars !

Guest damnit

wah wah someone remove censor on my name leh!!! :D

oh tcw, i'll pass the remote control to my colleague today and let you know if can control SCV set-top ...

Guest duckling

OK, I got the last piece of the remote from Sony Gallery yesterday.

- Used the pre-programmed codes for my Toshiba TV, works flawlessly.

- Used the pre-programmed codes for my Pionner 515 DVD-P, work on every command except the skip chapter keys. But it's ok, I'd the Sony learned those 2 keys.

- Can't find the brand for the SCV Decoder (General Instrument). But again, it's ok, I'd the Sony learned all those keys that I use frequently on the SCV remote.

Everything goes perfectly well as I expected.

Guest duckling

Duckling... which model did you get? Hmmm wonder how long does the next stock come in. ::)

Hi Kairos, we're talking abt this model (refer to picture) and according to Sony Gallery's staff, new stock will arrive in abt 1 week's time.

Guest damnit

- Used the pre-programmed codes for my Toshiba TV, works flawlessly.

- Used the pre-programmed codes for my Pionner 515 DVD-P, work on every command except the skip chapter keys. But it's ok, I'd the Sony learned those 2 keys.

- Can't find the brand for the SCV Decoder (General Instrument). But again, it's ok, I'd the Sony learned all those keys that I use frequently on the SCV remote.

Everything goes perfectly well as I expected.

woot duckie fast siah ... so tcw confirm buying liao since he only waiting for the confirmation if the remote can learn to control the SCV decoder :)

duckling for the programming of the skip button, you might have to hold the skip button LONGER for it to learn the bits ... or you can try programming on a separate key ...

Guest duckling

Hi Damnit,

thanks for the info...I guess no need to programme liao as I'd done it all yesterday night.

Cheers!! ;D

Guest damnit

hahhaha another convinced user ... i juz tried to program my yammy receiver, samsung dvd player and tosh tv ... works like a charm :)

ps. but the amp has too many buttons to configure ... me headache man!! :P

I bought this today, and spent some time figuring out the Programming, but finally, everything works. Thanks to duckling for lots of help. :)

Guys, this is a great remote, and at $79 tremendous value-for-money. Now I can finally stop lugging round all my 4 controls (TV, DVD Player, AV Amp, and SCV). Haven't tried the aircon, though.

Both the Sony Galleries have run of out stock of this remote. Those interested can phone them first to find out if the new stock arrives within the next few days.

Bugis Sony Gallery : 6837-0646

Wisma Atria Sony Gallery (#04-01) : 6733-1876

:) Thanks also to d.a.m.n.i.t. for his help. :)