IGNORED

Using my Rega to play HTS main speaker!!

Guest duckling

Guest duckling

Recently I'd just shifted my Stereo Setup (Rega Mira and Planet) to my living and it sounds better than it does in my miserably small study room.

One fine day, I hooked up my Mission 774 (Main speakers used for my HTS) to the Rega Setup and realised that it actually sound better than my Titus XP.

My question: how do I connect my Mission 774 to the Rega setup and at the same time use it for my Home Theater System as well?

That means my Yamaha 2095 (AV Amp) will continue to drive the Center and Surround speakers while the Rega will drive my Main speakers.

By doing so, I'll get better sounding setup and I can do away with my Titus XP + Atacama SE24 + Eccose MS4.45, thus creating a spacious + neat setup.

Anyone here can guide me on how to go abt doing it?

Many thanks for your advice. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like duckling will soon be selling the following items... ;D

Titus XP + Atacama SE24 + Eccose MS4.45

Incidentally aloychan searching for Atacama SE24.. ;)

connect pre-out from ur av receiver for front spks to an input of ur rega.

That has always been the answer... but sometimes I wonder.. How do u maintain the balance of the sound level between the front channels to the center and rear channels? Since the front volume is controlled by the int amp while the centre and rear volume is controlled by the av receiver...

Guest jonlee

1. use a SPL to calibrate to one level of receiver and int amp...then forever watch DVDs at THAT level....

2. alternative cheap way...just plug in and out the sc to connect to receiver and int amp when necessary.

3. if both the above too "leceh", and u can compromise a bit on quality, buy a sc switcher.

4. above three all cannot, sell away ur int amp and listen through receiver only lor...

above 4 all cannot, give up hobby! ;)

Guest duckling

1. use a SPL to calibrate to one level of receiver and int amp...then forever watch DVDs at THAT level....

2. alternative cheap way...just plug in and out the sc to connect to receiver and int amp when necessary.

3. if both the above too "leceh", and u can compromise a bit on quality, buy a sc switcher.

4. above three all cannot, sell away ur int amp and listen through receiver only lor...

above 4 all cannot, give up hobby! ;)

No. 4 is definitely a NO, unless I upgrade to a better AV Amp which sounds better or on par with Rega.

Heard of Radio Shack (did I spell correctly?) SPL soundmeter, which shop in SLS can it be found? Anyone knows the cost - will be interested in those Digital type (easier to read)?

Guest duckling

Looks like duckling will soon be selling the following items... ;D

Titus XP + Atacama SE24 + Eccose MS4.45

Incidentally aloychan searching for Atacama SE24.. ;)

Will be difficult to sell my SE24, as one of the top plate is blended. Don't wish to sell it at cheapo price after all it's my effort of taking a Taxi to and fro Electrades (Stays in Jurong) and filling them up.

Guest joamonte

That has always been the answer... but sometimes I wonder.. How do u maintain the balance of the sound level between the front channels to the center and rear channels? Since the front volume is controlled by the int amp while the centre and rear volume is controlled by the av receiver...

i use my hifi system as front of my HT too....

what i do is i fix the hifi pre amp at 12 o'clock,and then do the 5.1 channel SPL calibrating...after that all volume is control by the AV amp volume control when watching movies.

i also connect my CDP direct in to one of the input of my HIFI pre amp,so that when listern to CD,signal dont need to pass thru my AV amp.

BTW i think tis is a good way to combin the HT with HIFI since most of the good HIFI are better sound then those system "specially design" for HT.

:)

Guest duckling

BTW i think tis is a good way to combin the HT with HIFI since most of the good HIFI are better sound then those system "specially design" for HT.

:)

My sentimental exacts!!

How I wish I can plug in my Center Speaker to my Rega as well - that will gave me better sounding dialogue as well. :)

Guest joamonte

Actually it got me thinking. What happens if the amplification used for the 2 front channels is pre power. It actually means connecting from the av amp’s pre out to the stereo pre amp. pre to pre, will it work?

yes it will work...actually inside some pre amp there are areally 2 or 3 or even 4 gain stage b4 it pass the signal to power amp...add another or two gain stage make not much different,there will be some loss in transperency and affect the S/N ratio a bit but not much different when use in HT IMPO.

Guest duckling

Buy a mono-block :D

Wow...more stuff to learn.

Ender, can you explain further...say how to connect them?

Guest joamonte

adding a monoblock for the centre channel of ur HT will be a good idea since, IMO,most of the AV amp centre channel not really powerful and good enough to bring out the best of the centre spk....some power amp, like the NAD ,actually can bridge into mono amp(double the power/Wattage) ,only cost 2/300++,which will give u great improvement ,since centre channel is the most important channel of HT.

duckling ,u live in jurong?i got a digital SPL soundmeter can borrow u if u are interested.i live in jurong west.

Guest duckling

adding a monoblock for the centre channel of ur HT will be a good idea since most of the AV amp IMO centre

duckling ,u live in jurong?i got a digital SPL soundmeter can borrow u if u are interested.i live in jurong west.

I am staying near Jurong Point...many thanks for your offer but I prefer to get one to use and keep, do did you get yours from? :)

Guest joamonte

i brought it at SLT basement..a shop located at coner..+/-140 if i am not wrong.

me live near JP too....just across a main road. :)

Guest jonlee

Buy 3 mono-blocks. Connect pre-out of front and centre of AV to the individual mono-blocks. Walah!

The Marantz mini-monoblocks not very ex. Anyone tried them b4?

AV receiver than only power the surround.

Wow...more stuff to learn.

Ender, can you explain further...say how to connect them?

Sorry Duck, I was just joking. Mono-block is actually just a single channel amplifier, and usually very expensive. So not really practical...

Guest duckling

Actually, I am not very sure what is "pre out". Currently using Yammie 2095 AV Receiver, must go back and check whether it has "pre out".

Dun wish to spend more money on Monoblocks. Just want to tweak my current setup to get better sound. If I still dun like it, I might just upgrade to better speaker.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Guest joamonte

Buy 3 mono-blocks. Connect pre-out of front and centre of AV to the individual mono-blocks. Walah!

The Marantz mini-monoblocks not very ex. Anyone tried them b4?

AV receiver than only power the surround.

but ,in tis way when listen to CD,he have to use the YAMAHA AV AMP as pre amp...which will not be sound good compare to his rega system.. ::)

duckling, think your yammie should have pre-outs. Pre-out is for you to connect an ext. power amp to bypass the yammie's power amp section. I think the cheapest way for you is to connect the Rega to the yammie pre-out and use SPL to calibrate the rest of the channels.

Guest duckling

duckling,if need help in connecting can PM me...since we live so near.. :)

Thanks in advance...will contact you if I need help. :)

• 3 months later...