IGNORED

A dilemma?

You've just reached sonic nirvana - perfectly happy with whatever you have as a music playback system, and with a recent payrise (slight) + a lottery strike (small) there has never been so much excess to buy software.

A courteous visit to a fellow audiophile's abode revealed that he is intending to offload his (insert equipment) to raise more cash. To your amazement it 'was' one of the 'target' equipment that you've always wanted if not for the lack of money at that point in time, and that you've convinced yourself to 'settle' for a lesser component and the selected one had been providing the required amount of satisfaction.

Audiophile senses your interest and insist that you take the (insert equipment) home for a home trial with him, for 'the audiophile interests' sake'

The two of you bring the (insert equipment ) home and proceed to hook it up to your system. Oh my goodness (+all forms of superlatives) your system sounded so much better, and that you have never heard it sound so good before! ((wiping saliva off the floor)

Audiophile friend senses your good spirits and offer to sell the (insert equipment) to you for a pretty good price that you could definitely afford right now. You have previously decided that you could not have gotten a better setup at home (maybe also restricted by budget) and had already decided to stop at there, in which the lovely other half was in full agreement.

Friend sensing your reluctance lowers the price by a little. The music even attracts the lovely other half to come into the room and comment positively about the improved sound. But you feel that the money had been spent on the equipment and it is time to enjoy the music....

Do you go for it and buy the (insert equipment) from the audiophile friend? Or do you pass and concentrate on getting more and more software? WHY?

Guest hifi1

Hi

No such prob for me. This is because

1. I do not like to visit other people's place and listen to their system. When I have time, I prefer to listen to music on MY system hehehe.

2. Can afford does not mean u must have it. Knowing audiophiles, after u procure your 'dream' equipment, somehow there will always be another 'dream' equipment much more expensive and elusive. Part of a dream equipment is the unattainability. So after u get your Audio Research Ref 1 pre, now there is the Boulder 2 series pre and not to mentionthe Ref 2, Ref mk2 and possibly a ref 3 in the pipeline.

3. If u cannot control your 'urges' now, u will not be able to control your 'urges' next time and so on and so forth and finally u will realize the only factor limiting u is budget and by then u will have spend too much already with a system 'slightly' better than what u started but a LOT MORE expensive.

4. Most sound so much better only during the intial impression. After 6 months top, the 'so much better' sound from your new component will not sound so great and u will be 'looking' for the much more better sounding upgrade so if u can resist the first few initial contacts, u are quite safe if u decide to purchase something later.

5. Which is why my personal acid test is if u can hear a component over 3 years and still like the sound (irrespective of price), then u got a component for life. Meanwhile, get the cheapest system and buy lots of software. After 3 years, the component is much cheaper (used or new), the cds are more expensive (esp those out of print title) and u get much better value for me.

Anyone hear me???

Cheers

Aiyah, just pay for it and enjoy the music lor. Why constrain yourself.

Anyway, you earn your own money, you should be responsible for your financial planning.

I am also saving for my upcoming purchase, a power amp to add to my current setup.

Strange I hv not purchase my spks yet. I hv live w/o spks for almost 2 mths now. Using AKG headphone to listen to my music.

Just my 2Cents.

me ... I will buy the damn equipment. It is very hard to say no to a good deal particularly if you had audition it in your own set up.

The two of you bring the (insert equipment ) home and proceed to hook it up to your system. Oh my goodness (+all forms of superlatives) your system sounded so much better, and that you have never heard it sound so good before! ((wiping saliva off the floor)

The music even attracts the lovely other half to come into the room and comment positively about the improved sound. But you feel that the money had been spent on the equipment and it is time to enjoy the music....

With the above 2 considerations met, I'd think its a no-brainer. Can you bear with the fact that you have better sound available in your setup and you let it pass?;)

We don't often have the luxury of having a component that gels so well with the present setup that it blows the former one out of the water. If the above described scenario was true, I think you can probably go ahead with the upgrade with little guilt as long as your financial circumstances allow.