Eco Mode

Child Lock

Wakeup/Sleep Timer

Language Selection

Nicam/A2 Stereo

Auto Voltage (110v-240v)

6W + 6W + 15W

Supplied Accessories

RM-991: New user-friendly remote commander with direct access to DRC-MF, PIP Channel Selection, DVD input, and Wide Mode.

Weight

85kg

Dimensions

894 x 694 x 569mm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any show room that have this new TV hook-up for Progressive DVD playback demo ???

How much will this TV cost in local show ? Anyone got any ideas ???

Norman, you can see this Progressive demo at Best Takashimaya. The 29" costs around $1,999, but I strongly advise you to wait till next month (August) for the launch of the new Philips Pixel Plus range, for which the 29" will be priced lower than the Sony 29".

See my post on Pixel Plus :

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=4322

pardon my intrusion..........but me also have doubts about DR34 being true progressive but it appears from a few reviews and Sony's replies

"Please be informed that KV-DR34M69 support DVD progressive scan Input. The

country of origin is Malaysia."

proved me otherwise.............have seen the visual quality though, i still felt the ES34/38 quality better :P

so it is a true progressive scan TV,,,meaning it will accept signal from a prog scan dvd player ?

cos some of the members tend to dispute it.

pardon my intrusion..........but me also have doubts about DR34 being true progressive but it appears from a few reviews and Sony's replies

proved me otherwise.............have seen the visual quality though, i still felt the ES34/38 quality better :P

so it is a true progressive scan TV,,,meaning it will accept signal from a prog scan dvd player ?

actually the country of manufacture doesnt concern me !!!

neber believe tat a made in jpn good is superior to a made in asean or elsewhere .... where it comes to electronic stuff,,it is down to pure luck !!!

after using some Sony products, i feel there's a reason to believe Sony's strategy,

while you notice the hi-end products are all manufactured in Japan , proves to show why they take great efforts to make the Made in Japan callsign significant.

but my KV25 TV..........i cannot even find the Made in Malaysia words.............these mid range products are targetted for globalisation specifically..............

take my 17" 200ES monitor(thailand) for instance, first purchase got 1 dead pixel, so darn lucky to get 1 dead pixel on CRT. but my 15" 15fs2(japan) monitor, to shiok till now, 5 years still going strong

while i cannot say for sure Made in other countries products are lousy, but Made In Japan products proved to be under stringent QC.

these, my personal opinions.............I am quite a Sony fan though, thats why I only buy their flagship products :)

actually the country of manufacture doesnt concern me !!!

neber believe tat a made in jpn good is superior to a made in asean or elsewhere .... where it comes to electronic stuff,,it is down to pure luck !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the DR series being able to display Progressive scan, all the stores that I've visited still connect using the Composite connector for Video (single Video Yellow RCA cable).

Its only when you question the salesman then they admit using the single composite cable to connect for Video. One of them told me "no point using Component cables to display Progressive, .... nobody ask for it !"

Sigh ! Die of frustration talking to them. :(

Saw the demo on the 29" and 34" TV .... find that the 29" is more sharp than the 34". They were playing back the Black Hawk Down DVD movies.

If you don't have a side by side compare you may think the 34" was sharp.

where can i see the 34" demo...so far only saw the 29"...to mine surprise when it was put side by side with Panasonic 29300X and Toshiba 29" city face, the sony look sharper and noise free than the 2 when playing Harry Porter DVD.....

when can i see the 34" demo...so far also saw the 29"...to mine surprise when it was put side by side with Panasonic 29300X and Toshiba 29" city face, the sony look sharper and noise free than the 2 when playing Harry Porter DVD.....

Such demos are usually carried out using a normal dvd player. The Panasonic TX-29P300X has an inferior built-in deinterlacer for dvd viewing and will generate a poor picture quality with normal dvd players and I would therefore not recommend it if you intend to use a normal dvd player with it. The PQ with a progressive scan dvd player is entirely another matter all together.

Harvey Norman at Parkway Parade has got a 34" Sony DR series TV on demo if you are interested. The PQ of their 29" was distinctly noisier than that of the Panasonic's at this store however. The cabling could have an effect on the PQ perhaps ie longer cable path or bad contacts in the connections may give rise to noisier picture.

Hi PSchia,

so how u see if the TV is running PS ? from the PQ can differential or not....sorry i'm a DVD newbie...when bringing my wife to show her what i intended to buy (Pana 34-300X), sway sway the shop put the TV side by side with the Sony DR29, Pana29-300X, and Toshiba 29"....the pana pic are noisier and the DR are so much sharper...so she asked " are u sure ?"

but u are correct that when i saw on other shop feature Shwrek DVD on the pana, the PQ are almost perfect....

Such demos are usually carried out using a normal dvd player. The Panasonic TX-29P300X has an inferior built-in deinterlacer for dvd viewing and will generate a poor picture quality with normal dvd players and I would therefore not recommend it if you intend to use a normal dvd player with it. The PQ with a progressive scan dvd player is entirely another matter all together.

Hi PsChia, wish to clarify something with you.

When you say the Panasonic 300X has an inferior built-in deinterlacer for normal DVD viewing, I suppose you are connecting using Component cables (say from Q50 or Nintaus) but in non-progressive mode (ie interlaced).

Then when you used the 300X with a Progressive DVD player, the PQ improves substantially. Am I correct to say you are still using the Component cables into the TV, but now using the Q50 or Nintaus in Progressive Mode output ?

My next queston ... What is the difference on the PQ using Component cable input and VGA input on the 300X, both with progressive scan input ?

so how u see if the TV is running PS ? from the PQ can differential or not....sorry i'm a DVD newbie...when bringing my wife to show her what i intended to buy (Pana 34-300X), sway sway the shop put the TV side by side with the Sony DR29, Pana29-300X, and Toshiba 29"....the pana pic are noisier and the DR are so much sharper...so she asked " are u sure ?"

but u are correct that when i saw on other shop feature Shwrek DVD on the pana, the PQ are almost perfect....

For the Panasonic TV, when you press the "Display" button (a symbol button under the "7" button), it will show "PROGRE INPUT" on the top left corner of the screen, if you are sending in a progressive signal.

When you say the Panasonic 300X has an inferior built-in deinterlacer for normal DVD viewing, I suppose you are connecting using Component cables (say from Q50 or Nintaus) but in non-progressive mode (ie interlaced).

Yes

Then when you used the 300X with a Progressive DVD player, the PQ improves substantially. Am I correct to say you are still using the Component cables into the TV, but now using the Q50 or Nintaus in Progressive Mode output ?

Yes

What is the difference on the PQ using Component cable input and VGA input on the 300X, both with progressive scan input ?

It depends on the dvd player - for the Shinco 8700, the PQ is almost similar, for the Nintaus, the component video looked better than the VGA in that there is better contrast for the component video. The PQ from the VGA looked dull. But for any player, when using the VGA input, you can't change the Aspect Ratio to and fro from 16:9 to 4:3 which is bad since you need to switch to 16:9 aspect for watching anamorphic widescreen dvds. Otherwise the picture proportion would look distorted.

PSChia, thanks for the detailed reply. :)

Have you done an A/B/C comparison of picture quality using the same DVD disc to play using Shinco, Nintaus and Q50 (all 3 Players connected with Component Cables, and playing the DVD with Progressive output on the Panasonic 300 TV )?

I have always wondered whether the Q50 with the Faroudja chip gives substantially better PQ than the China-Made Players ?

PSChia, thanks for the detailed reply. :)

Have you done an A/B/C comparison of picture quality using the same DVD disc to play using Shinco, Nintaus and Q50 (all 3 Players connected with Component Cables, and playing the DVD with Progressive output on the Panasonic 300 TV )?

I have always wondered whether the Q50 with the Faroudja chip gives substantially better PQ than the China-Made Players ?

My observation has been that the Nintaus and Q50 have similar PQ on the Panasonic TV; this is because they share the same Sage-Faroudja chipset. I have compared both on my friend's specially imported 36" widescreen Sony TV too and he too concurred that there's no perceptible difference in quality except for the occasional mpeg glitches from the Nintaus. I personally prefer the Q50 because of the fine tuning in picture quality it gives the user ie saturation, brightness, contrast, gamma, sharpness, DCDi on/off, etc. The Nintaus has some user adjustable settings but they are sometimes quite useless because you just make a little change, and the image is unwatchable !

The Shinco is quite distinctly poorer in PQ than both the Ninatus and the Q50. It is not that it's not good, it's just that the Sage-Faroudja chip is too good. This could be especially obvious in poorly authored dvds that could trip up deinterlacers of lesser quality, eg Pearl Harbor looked great on the Q50 and Nintaus but was terrible on the Shinco - lots of combing, smearing of colours, etc.

Notwithstanding the above, I have to add that there is a dvd player that's even better in picture quality than the Q50. Unfortunately, it is not available here. And it is the Matrix which Stevie Ng had so kindly loaned to me for testing. I was however too lazy to write a detailed review of it. Sorry about that. The Matrix is actually an Skyworth 1050P which has been extensively modified by the manufacturer in Thailand. He had modified all the 3 boards inside - the power supply (even use an IEEC power cord), mpeg decoder board, and progressive board, leaving intact only the CPU, mpeg decoder chip, Faroudja chip, and analog device chip. As a result, the set produces a very clean audio and video signal. I have tested both the Q50 and the Matrix with the R1 Harry Potter dvd which has a very good video quality and the Matrix actually generated a less noisy picture than the Q50. I mean the Q50 is so good that you would normally not notice any noise in well-authored and mastered dvds, but you would notice the difference if you do a A/B comparison with the Matrix. Actually ruined my viewing enjoyment with the Q50 forever now that I know that there's a dvd player that could produce a cleaner picture out there. If it was available here, I would certainly not hesitate in buying one immediately !

Maybe, someone might want to organise a mass order for this set? I think it would cost about the same as the Q50. Anyone interested?

Saw the demo on the 29" and 34" TV .... find that the 29" is more sharp than the 34". They were playing back the Black Hawk Down DVD movies.

If you don't have a side by side compare you may think the 34" was sharp.

where can i see the 34" demo...so far only saw the 29"...to mine surprise when it was put side by side with Panasonic 29300X and Toshiba 29" city face, the sony look sharper and noise free than the 2 when playing Harry Porter DVD.....

Saw the demo at North-Point basement.

I do need to add that the PQ I get when I connect the Matrix to the VGA input of my Panasonic TV is not that good - very dull and soft colours. But that could be due to my TV not being able to meet the high specs of the output from the Matrix's VGA port. The PQ from projectors might be a different kettle of fish altogether. So those who are thinking of connecting the Matrix to their projectors should perhaps borrow a set from Stevie Ng to test it out on their projectors first.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently notice that this new Sony TV the casing maybe is a design failure. Why I said this ... if you noticed the front picture tube is encase with a square Black or Blue frame ... have you notice that this frame is quite reflective.

Upon lighting hitting this frame you can see the distorted reflection image - quite wavey (when the frame is not produced flat enough) and it is quite annoying ... Sony should have go for a Matt finish ... like the JVC model.

Recently notice that this new Sony TV the casing maybe is a design failure. Why I said this ... if you noticed the front picture tube is encase with a square Black or Blue frame ... have you notice that this frame is quite reflective.

Upon lighting hitting this frame you can see the distorted reflection image - quite wavey (when the frame is not produced flat enough) and it is quite annoying ... Sony should have go for a Matt finish ... like the JVC model.

The frame is plastic .. tap on it and it sounds like my son's plastic cup. Made in Malaysai (wrong spelling intended) quality, of course !

Surprising, one Harvey Norman manager tells me that this Sony DR model is not selling well at all. Strange for Sony, who expects anything they throw at the public to be lapped up like hungry dogs after free food.