IGNORED

Music in .mp3 format or cd format sound better ?

jowy85

In terms of fidelity, I find the original cd to be way better than the mp3 that is produced from it. But if you cut the mp3 in a high bitrate (160 kbps or higher) and if you're listening to the mp3 through a discman, mp3 player or PC, then the difference in quality may sound minimal. However, if u play back the mp3 through a decent music system, the difference in quality should be apparent. :)

Guest heeyeng

I had did extensive research before in university regarding the sound quality of mp3 and cd. Bear in mind that mp3 is a compressed format. It is compress in the manner whereby those music information that's 'supposingly' not heard by human ear will be eliminated totally, leaving those 'perceive' music info. That's why the size could be small. In terms of sound quality, played back using good quality headphone (to have a real close up inspection), I personally feel that mp3 is not involving at all. It can played back some pop music pretty well, mainly because pop music uses a lot of synthesisers and synthesisers generally produces simple music information in terms of waveform, than real instruments. So when comes to vocal or instruments, whereby the waveform will be some very irregular triangular waveforms, you can hear the difference almost immediately.

So anytime I will take CD for sure. Even on a minicompo I could hear the difference. Conclusion, main difference is not something you can hear, but it's something you can't, but those is the elemental things that gets our heart bounce and soul shaken.

Don't ever mention anything about mp3 in a hifi forum. To me it's the worst medium that's ever been created, even good quality tapes sound better than them (at least tapes is analog and all the information is there).

I suppose those who supported vinyl will have the same feeling when cd came out. :)

(can you see that we're enjoying less and less music will all the new digital technologies coming in, i will not be surprise if in the future my son will be listening to mp3 and i'll be the old guy still listening to cd, same situation as all the vinly supporters now...)

Just my 2 cents worth! ;)

Guest heeyeng

MD is using different coding technique in compressing, which in my opinion more superior than mp3. There are quite a lot of info on net discussing about these subjects which you can find out. However, MD is only compressed to 4x the CD, mp3 is 10x. So this is not a fair apple to apple comparison...

I heard a demonstration of a DAT recorder sometime back. The DAT made extremely good recordings. Unfortunately the DAT is probably going in the way of the Dodo. Because of copyright protection I think it was never commercially sold in Singapore. But if you guys like to make your recordings the DAT is probably as good as it gets. For those of you who can pick up a used DAT at a good price I would say got for it.

Bill