IGNORED

Projector brightness

hmm... does the projector brightness depends on the bulb or also other factor?

Cos I got a Infocus LP330 which is rated at 650 lumen, and the released an upgraded LP335 which is 1000 lumen. The contrast specs are the same and share the same bulb replacement.

So was wondering does getting the new bulb will make my LP330 brighter than 650lumen? Or the optical system does play a part?

Yes they are and also depend on how good the design of the optical engine to optimise the bulb efficiency. Some are built with MLA that's supposedly have micro mirrors to make the image brighter. But if use as HT too bright might not be the ideal option for me, i'll get headache easily.

Definately with better LCD panels, images can be brighter.

MLA will also play a part.

Also, the manufacturer can rate the specs anyhow they like.

The infocus LP330 and 335 is a DLP projector, which make use of a color wheel and microscopic mirrors to project the image.

I'm thinking when the LP330 was first introduced, the bulb technology is not so advance yet to squeeze such a small size bulb with 1000lumens, but when they upgrade the LP330 model to the LP335, 1000lumen bulbs are more common, so the specs is increase. If you check infocus website, they all share very similar specs except for the kind of inputs and brightness, the rest are more or less the same.

Well, if changing the lamp will give me a 350lumen boost, hee, dun see why not...

oooo, I didn't know that pj is a DLP. Wasn't payig attention to the model number....... :-X :-\

The colour wheel does affect the brightness. If assuming the lamp is identical, the colour wheel design can affect the overall brightness.

i.e., angle of clear portion of colour wheel, light transmitivity of colour wheel, improved optics,....

Its not logical that using the lamp from a brighter pj would give brighter image in a dim pj, assuming they use identical lamps.

But I'm sure infocus upgraded the colour wheel to produce a brighter image by playing about with the proportion of clear segment.

Just lay your curiousities to rest, why not order a LP335 lamp and try it out yourself.

Yeah.... probably the clear section on the color wheel is bigger for the LP335.

Not saying that the same bulb will be dimmer on another model, but when the LP330 was just released, the bulb are really able to do only 650lumen, but after bulb technology improves, by the time the LP335 is released and the LP330 is discontinued, the replacement bulb are now capable of doing 1000lumen.

Anyway, the clear section of the color wheel probably be one factor, mabbe the LP330 does not have a clear section while the LP335 have.

Anyway, just checked I've only done 80hrs on my lamp... still got 900+ hours left... now worth spending $800 for the replacement bulb now... mabbe I'll try to compare with my office one, cos office have a same model and did a couple of bulb replacements already. :)