IGNORED

If u can start all over again ....

Guest hifi1

Guest hifi1

Hi

Given what u spend on your system now, if u can start all over again, will u stick with your current setup? If not, why? Please do not state a lower price 'alternative' system but some other similar priced system to enable others to understand your choices 'better'.

For me, NO!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the same amt of money. I might want to try full Gryphon setup (currently full YBAs). Always like the Gryphons looks and power. But the pure class A stuff scare me off.

No tube and TT for me...me just too lazy.

If I had more money I will upgrade the whole system, with the amount of money that I had spent, no, IMHO cannot get better...

A full set of Symphonic Line Kraft monos, tube reference pre and reference CD driving the new Dyna C2s will be very welcome... ;D

Guest hifi1

Haha

No u do not have more money to spend. It is easy to want to spend more to get something 'different' but to spend the same kind of money for a diff prodt means there are certain aspect of the 'new' product that impresses u.

This is also a time for reflection.

Cheers

Haha

No u do not have more money to spend. It is easy to want to spend more to get something 'different' but to spend the same kind of money for a diff prodt means there are certain aspect of the 'new' product that impresses u.

This is also a time for reflection.

Cheers

Yeah... ;)

Reality check... ???

Passed... ;D

:)

Guest duckling

I am pretty satisfy with my current setup but at times I am kinda greedy of getting a better setup.

If I were to start all over again, I'll get the same sounding Amp / CDP but must have standby mode so as to allow power-off at remote. Speaker wise, might get something less forwarding - Epos M12??

Hi

Given what u spend on your system now, if u can start all over again, will u stick with your current setup? If not, why? Please do not state a lower price 'alternative' system but some other similar priced system to enable others to understand your choices 'better'.

For me, NO!

hmm, i just started all over again recently - changed my whole system. from a more american centred system to a more european centred system. but my new system costs more though - about 40% more.

as to why I did it: Like many people struck with the syndrome, i thought it could sound and be better, and invariably it does and i was not really satisfied with how it sound. although still don't have time to tweak my room, but it already sound so much better than my old system!

Hey Gas, what are you using now? Care to list? ;)

Guest powerman

mbl 1611

mbl 1621

mbl 6010

mbl 9010\pass aleph 5

aer momentum\jm lab mini utopia

this will be the end of my upgrade path.

Guest powerman

mbl 1611

mbl 1621

mbl 6010

mbl 9010\pass aleph 5

Whoa Powerman! SO power!

life is short! can enjoy must enjoy! ;D

Guest powerman

mbl 1611

mbl 1621

mbl 6010

mbl 9010\pass aleph 5

err, wouldn't this cost more than your present system? or is it at the same price of your system?

hv misread hifi1's question! ;D

my answer is more appropriate to given what u spend on your system "TILL NOW".

Guest powerman

ha ha! OK! maybe we should start a new thread on what is our dream system that we can afford 1-2 yrs from now after selling the present system (without striking lotto, etc etc).

although looking at the above, i think the 1611 and 1621 is within your means after selling your sa-1 and topping up. maybe can consider the 1511 and 1521?

i'll go for 1611\1621 straight since that is my ultimate dream and hv the fund now.

thing hold me back is the 1611\1621 cost half a toyota corolla... hv to justify hard... ;D

My advise is go for a full MBL setup. Bound to sound good...

Yes, agreed. Heard the small MBL setup on demo at the showroom, not bad, $70K the whole lot with 4 monoblocks too, biamped. So much cheaper than my dream Naim setup ... which I still can't get even if I start over again :)

Guest powerman

My advise is go for a full MBL setup. Bound to sound good...

hv the 111b in mind too but not strong! ;D

Guest powerman

as for me, i would rather spend the money on amps or speakers and have a good front-end but not as expensive as the 16s. btw, have you considered the burmesters? someone on that greek hifi club site uses burmester front end with 101ds.

year ago, i don't know much about mbl. after some in depth reading on mbl products, i understand this is a brand to own if affortable.

mbl is persistent on their finishing product. if they think that a certain product is not ready for the market, they'd not released it to the market.

mbl also fine tuned their finished products based on new techonolgy found\available from time-to-time and would never be outdated. e.g. the 6010 hv been in the market for 15 yrs.

the circuit of mbl are the same for each design. e.g. 4010, 5010 and 6010. the different is only the grade of the parts used.

if can afford mbl products, the top line always made the different.

Guest powerman

Hi powerman

Where did u hear the AER Momentum?

Thanks.

no way you can listen to AER in Singapore.

read the review from jack liu of Audio Art and he've bot a pairs as his referrence speakers.

if i'm not wrong, your friend, liu also, has went back to Audio Art.

Well, gas, since I can't afford Naim DBL speakers (around $40K) active with 3 NAP500s (around $25K each) and the new 552 preamp (around $25K too) + external crossovers (more $) + another Supercap ($ around 6K) + Naim Fraim racks ($$$) or 3 Particular racks ($5K+ each), I'll happily settle for the JMR Grand Piano using my current Naims :). As for Living Voice, I can't afford to have two systems, with high quality low-powered tube amplification to match them ... can't have them all ...

Anyway, we just try to provide quality products to those interested, not necessarily be users of whatever product we bring in ... like I also can't afford to use the high quality Jan Allaerts phono cartridges we are distributors of, but at least we bring it to those who can and appreciate it. This is what experience has thought us, to understand other systems and fellow hifi enthusiasts, whether solid-state, tube, small or large speakers, MBL, Krell, ML, Audiolab, Mission, Paradigm, Bose ...

What about you, what's your system and preference ?

Couldn't find any reference ... at least we can have an idea when we discuss something with you or read your posts ...

Guest powerman

huh? what do you mean not strong? not powerful enuff?

no other except AER is the referrence speaker using by jack liu.

well, i think if you are selling, promoting a product, what better way to show people than to have it and use it, by paying money from your own pocket.

of course this is not applicable if its damn expensive or inappropriate stuff (like a man selling bras)

Nice analogy, that man selling bras :) ... and yes, of course, that would be ideal. But in many cases, it obviously can be impractical, in whatever industry. I'm sure the distributors with several speakers or amplifier brands won't have each brand in his home ... or the TV salesman at Best Denki to have every TV brand in his house ... In the retail or service industry, it's more a matter of providing what they think the consumers are looking for or will be interested in.

We do some research on this of course, and not just bring in anything. We do try to bring in only what we consider as good. There will always be detractors, from outside and even within the same industry, but so be it ... the products will speak for themselves, whether we use it or not, can't please everyone ...

Guest hifi1

My quest is to seek a cheaper alternative for every component without sacrificing too much of the 'sound'. Expensive and exotic components means little to me now (esp in times like this). After 'playing' with so many expensive components, I have began my 'downgrading' and hopefully, when I succeed, I can post and tell u folks my personal choices. Unfortunately there are some things that are so difficult to 'replace' not to mention downgrade and hence the challenge.

Was listening to Doug McCleod and never heard him sang better in my system.

Cheers

hm..why "downgrade" ? If it's to improve cashflow (like how people downgrade to a smaller flat and still have a huge balance of cash), then I can understand.

otherwise..just don't understand why people would downgrade or give it all up after spending so much effort & money.

or maybe it's back to simplicity? ;)