IGNORED

Finally ordered a TW100!

Hi Guys,

After months of running around viewing a coupler of projectors like AE100, LG DLP something, Benq and TW100 and reading reviews etc. I finally ordered a TW100.

I need some advise for screen size, I know somewhere there is a formula that calculate and RECOMMEND screen size. Can u guys advise? My viewing distance is approx. 3.5m from eye to screen, what is the recommended size (16:9 format). I am thinking that the horizontal length should be around 80" or maybe 70" so as not too big that I would feel giddy like in the first row of movie theater. What about screen material? I think so far matt white is the best at the moment for a couple of hundred dollars. The guy who sold me the pj, is asking for S$980 for a fixed screen 16:9 format pearlescent screen. Maybe I should just buy a 84 x 84 pull down at the moment.

Any ideas for mounting the projector on the ceiling? Joamote if u read this, how are u mounting it? As I know u own one too.

Wish me luck.

rtankm ;D

Guest joamonte

Congratulations ! :)

for screen material, if ur screen wide is not more then 80" ,IMO better use matt white or even better if can afford grey screen,high gain screen like pearlescent($900++pearlescent..mnnn...is it Dalite?) really too bright for tis projector,currently i am using a glass breaded (2.5 gain)Dalite motorise 64 " wide..look like a huge CRT infront of me when watching in the dark...real headache!!! :(

i am now mounting my TW-100 on my book case behind my seat,go to hardware shop to look for some 4" M4 screw that can be fix into the bottem of projector if want ot mount at ceiling,2" will be too close as TW-100 are really hot...

i will post some photo later if u are interested.

Hi Joamoate,

Thanks for the advise.

BTW, what is your viewing distance from the screen? Yes, the offer S$980 (expensive?) is from Dalite using pearlescent. I told them this is not suitable but he insist this is the best. I guess they don't know much sometime. I like the High contrast cinema vision, but don't where in Sgp can I get it. Do they sell just the screen material? I feel like mounting in onto a frame myself, which I think with my DIY skill should be okay.

I found a local company that sell this universal projector mount which I think I am gonna get one.

Can you post some picts, would love to see your setup.

Thanks.

rtankm

PS. hope to get it ready for the final this sunday.

Guest joamonte

see page 2 of

http://tw.photo.yahoo.com/member/fcgi-bin/view_album.fcg?id=joamonte&ab=ab2

http://tw.photo.yahoo.com/member/fcgi-bin/view_album.fcg?ab=ab2&p=2&id=joamonte&accept=1

distance to screen is about 3.5 m...

if able to install a fix screen .... :'( ...i will sure go for a firehawk for about 2 k... :D...

since u are looking for a fix screen why dont u consider that?really whorth IMO.. :)

Guest joamonte

Had the same experience with Da-lite agent before. They always insist the higher the gain the better, irregardless of application. Even I told them I want grey screen for enhanced contrast in LCD PJ, they still say I should go for the highest gain...

same here... >:(..

and the motorise DA mat tension screen price they quote are %#@*&.... >:(.....listed price in US $1820,they want to sell me at S$5,6k!!!!

Had the same experience with Da-lite agent before. They always insist the higher the gain the better, irregardless of application. Even I told them I want grey screen for enhanced contrast in LCD PJ, they still say I should go for the highest gain...

same here... >:(..

and the motorise DA mat tension screen price they quote are %#@*&.... >:(.....listed price in US $1820,they want to sell me at S$5,6k!!!!

Seem like you have a similar viewing distance as me, and I think somewhere 70" to 80" width screen should be sufficient.

I have not seen the greyhawk in action compared with the normal matt white or the HCCV screen to convince the price difference does worth that amount of improvement in my own criteria. I have yet to see a HCCV too.

I understand that in the uSA u can buy the screen material only without the frame etc. I will check out the price for the HCCV screen material for the size of 45 x 80 and see how much it cost. I think making a simple frame by ourself should not be that difficult. I am trying to save some cost here instead of paying a bomb for the local dalite agent which is inflexible and in my opinion a bit expensive for the HDTV format fixed screen which I wanted.

I just found a local made ceiling projector mount which cost only 80bucks, gonna get one and mount myself. So much cheaper than the one quote by the seller of the projector.

I am gonna do a lot of DIY this next few weeks to get this PJ mounted. Will be laying my own cable trucking from the front to the PJ location. PLanning to lay 3 cables consisting of component video, vga and a power cable. Cable length is about 11- 12 meters, any good recommendation on cables for the VGA and component?

BTW, how far VGA cable can go? Anyone care to englighten?

SInce I am planning to use a 1" x 3/4" cross-section cable trunking, I am considering a single component cable which have 3 component cables in 1 wire, is there a perceivable difference between this single type component cable and those 3 separate component video cable?

All advise appreciated.

rtankm ;D

rtankm,

I've got the perfect cable for your component cable.

I have alot of excess Belden 1694 RG-6 co-ax cable right now. In excess of 30m,... letting it go for $3.50/m. Search for 1694 on this forum. Its used for broadcast apps, pre & post production facilities where superior signal integrity is needed.

VGA cables can go for 15m, provided its good quality, triple co-ax cables. Not adviseable for >15m, unless using signal booster amps. This is due to high attenuation from scrawny little cables.

Actually, the smaller the cable conductor diameter, the poorer the performance of the cable. Detail will be lost, signal might suffer from reflections, snow on picture interference etc. Any perceivable diff? YES, more vibrant colours due to less loss, better fine detail due to higher bandwidth and lower signal dispersion, brighter due to loss loss..... lots of technical reasons.

Its never adviseable to use miniature cables unless PQ is not crucial. But it would do injustice to use inferior cables with a good pj like epson!

Cables I recommend:

Component and any co-ax cables (less than 15m): Belden 1694 Rg-6/U Precision Video Digital Analogue

VGA: Any triple co-ax designed for RGB cables.

Interested in 1694 cables?

Guest joamonte

Hi Joamote,

Saw your photo's, where did you get those long 4mm screws?

I need 4 too most likely.

Thanks. ;D

just go to any hardware shop n tell them u want some 4" M4 screws,washers and nuts...they will know.

and BTW other then VGA and component cable,i think u should also try the S-video connection of TW-100...

its built in Y/C spilter curcuit is even better then some old DVDP component connection...i did find out that its S-video input is sharper then the component input when connect it with a toshiba old DVDP(8bit/28 mhz VP,not Psan of course)

and also not to forget about it have a DVI input if u want to use HTPC... ;D

Guest joamonte

Seem like you have a similar viewing distance as me, and I think somewhere 70" to 80" width screen should be sufficient.

I have not seen the greyhawk in action compared with the normal matt white or the HCCV screen to convince the price difference does worth that amount of improvement in my own criteria. I have yet to see a HCCV too.

IMO if possible at least 80" width screen(mnnn, i think so far no 16:9 screen is below 80" in market, other ther my DIY paint screen.. ::)) will be much better if u want to use 16:9 screen ..

my 64" width screen is too small at distance of 3.5 m but as u see in the picture i have no choise cos anything wider image will block by my front spk.... and i dont want the screen to be higher then my spk like some of my friend did,really uncomfortable watching movie that way... :)

and maybe u can look for Draper screen if u want something not that expencive....their motorise 84"wide matt white 16:9 screen only selling at $900,so compare to Dalite i think it is higher in the C/P rate.

if u dont want to use a gray srceen i think u can adjust the White and Black level lower (mine is black -2 ,white -7 curently..)in ur TW-100 menu,to get the "stable effect" that close to the gray screen..i saw they do that in a demo at HK and i try it at my glass breaded screen really help a lot...

IMO if possible at least 80" width screen(mnnn, i think so far no 16:9 screen is below 80" in market, other ther my DIY paint screen.. ::)) will be much better if u want to use 16:9 screen ..

What shades of grey did you paint your screen? Coz I've just completed my matt white diy screen, and was wondering what shades of grey to use.

Guest joamonte

What shades of grey did you paint your screen? Coz I've just completed my matt white diy screen, and was wondering what shades of grey to use.

no,i did not paint the "inside" of the screen cos mine is a glass breaded one...i only paint a 16:9 black border for my oringan 70"x70" screen...

see

http://tw.photo.yahoo.com/member/fcgi-bin/view_album.fcg?id=joamonte&ab=ab2

interest at ur DIY matt white screen... .what material u use? can u post some pic....

i am think of DIY one too,at least it is safer then paintng on a matt white screen.....i saw shop selling those plastic gray fabic at St goege road and thinking of buy some to try out the effect...

anyone try that b4?