IGNORED

How did you develop your 'sonic preference'?

How did you develop that personal sonic 'taste'? that 'preference' ? ... that had determined what your hifi system sounds right now or is aiming for?

1. Based on how certain music sound? (e.g. the test CDs/LPs you always bring around for auditions)

2. Based on live musical experience? (e.g. real instrument sound heard in performances and baed on the average of several different venues.)

3. Love at first sight? (heard a system that you fell in love with regardless of the music played through it)

4. Others?

How different are your preferences from the first moment you dabbled with hifi as compared to now? Is it reflected very strongly in the direction you change hfii equipment?

Budget first... always the money issue. ;)

Based on your favourite cd's is also essential for me, can get to compare equipment through music that u are familiar with.

My preference have not changed much since i started. Although when i was young i was blinded by those fanciful japanese int amps, with all those new amplifier designs. Technics Class A, Onkyo Integra series, etc etc.

Guest hifi1

Hi

1. Listen to a piece of equipment over 3 years minimum.

2. Listen to it using diff music u like and under all sorts of different combination.

3. Listen to it under diff moods (when u are frustrated, happy, romantic etc).

4. If after 3 years u still like what u hear and can afford it, u prob has something to own for life.

Good luck.

Loudspeakers (and speaker-room interaction) often make the most difference in the final sound. I felt most at home with the 'British monitor sound'. It somehow made typically un-amplified acoustic recordings sound very natural to my ears, especially the treble (whom some may find it attenuated, but measurements reveal otherwise.). While I enjoyed the merits of many other loudspeaker voicing philosophies, I still preferred, and will probably continue to prefer this Brit monitor sound.

I share the taste with tool though i don hear that many classical. though i'm basically an animal rocker, the laidback, natural, warm and soothing sound of monitors like the spendors and harbeths have managed to seduce my senses! oh yes, could make me sleepy but thats what i need to induce a good sleep!

"How did you develop that personal sonic 'taste'? that 'preference' ? ... that had determined what your hifi system sounds right now or is aiming for?"

*** music heard throughout life, especially in adolescence. Got sidetracked a bit when entered into audiophilia, and went mellow. Very educational though, as more jazz came into the repertoire. Now if we were into classical, then the preference would probably be different.

1. Based on how certain music sound? (e.g. the test CDs/LPs you always bring around for auditions)

*** yes, to a large degree

2. Based on live musical experience? (e.g. real instrument sound heard in performances and baed on the average of several different venues.)

*** Not exactly, more on the presentation being able to captivate me emotionally, and physically too (the "boogie factor"). So more emphasis on No. 1 above.

3. Love at first sight? (heard a system that you fell in love with regardless of the music played through it)

*** yes too ... loved Bose at first. Then superseded by Naims heard a long time ago in a show. Tried to get cheaper and simulate that experience, never got it.

4. Others?

How different are your preferences from the first moment you dabbled with hifi as compared to now? Is it reflected very strongly in the direction you change hfii equipment?

*** Very different now. Couldn't listen to rock on CD last time, going back to vinyl changed all that. We did only play rock on analog (vinyl or cassette tape) in our adolescence ...