Pull down screens

With a few users using pull down screens here, are you satisfied with the quality of your screen?

Any horizontal waves?

Worse, any vertical waves?

Please state brand and model and size of screen

I'm using a Draper Star 70" x 70". No vert. waves, but H.waves yes. I insert steel weights onto the bottom tube to tension away the horizontal waves.

Overall, good quality for its price. Quite durable too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joamonte

sorry for a bit out of topic..

may i know who is the Draper screen agent in Spore?...cant find at the Draper website.

interested in tis

Manually operated screen with Tab Tensioning System can use with "HiDef Grey" screen,since its manual screen hopefully around $1k i can..... ;D ;D

http://www.draperinc.com/Screen_Pages/PremierC_projection_screen.htm

BTW i think may be it can modify it to a motorise screen ,as it only use a turning handle to lower and rise screen(can add a motor connect to the handle.)...

Guest edti0661

Anybody ever tried installing a pull down screen about 2 ft in front of a aircon blower. I was wondering whether if I redirect the air flow downward, will the screen move even if there is a slight breeze?.if it move, anyone has a solution other than shifting the screen elsewhwere?.

I used to have such an installation problem before.

No satisfiying solution as we advised the customer of this problem. He insisted that it will be fine and management approved.

Turned out the screen kept swaying to & fro..... was very distracting.

In the end, the air-con blast was directed away from the screen and the screen was heavily weighted down to mimise swaying.

Still, it would be better to locate the screen away from constant wind blasts to prevent swaying.

yeah, I've seen draper and dalite screens before, although not side by side. But this is what I feel.

1) The draper has got a better quality of construction. The pull down locks seem to be smooth on both, but retracting on a draper is easier. (Perhaps i'm used to draper)

2)The method of securing the bottom bar on the dalite is very prone to vertical waves.Surprisingly, the screen in my office uses a dalite and is got very bad waves on the screen. Its something about how the bottom bar is integrated into the screen bottom.

3)From the external appearance, draper casing is much bigger and fatter, compared to dalite's thin and small profile.

4)I was told dalite is more expensive, but not much.

5)Black borders are possible. But I'd prefer to stick on the borders myself.

6)Matt white surface is similar.

7)Draper good thing is that the bottom bar is an empty pipe. For those who enjoy extra tension, can fill this pipe with iron shots/steel chain/weights to make the bottom heavier, thus flattening out the screen. Da-lite not possible to draper's extent.

Guest joamonte

"Matt white surface is similar"....

thats good news,coz cheaper Draper motorise are about $300 cheaper then the cheaper dalite motorise....and if i am no wrong dalite will charge extra for 16:9 version while Draper not.

"Draper good thing is that the bottom bar is an empty pipe. For those who enjoy extra tension, can fill this pipe with iron shots/steel chain/weights to make the bottom heavier, thus flattening out the screen. Da-lite not possible to draper's extent. "....

i dont know about manual type but dalite motorise(electrol)screen bottem used heavy iron/steel bar but dont seem prevent wave very well....

:)

Hi Jag,

I am using same Draper screen, also 70" x 70", some vertical waves but not distracting, I just leave it down all the time, the waves have somewhat smoothen itself out.

Same screen size for me too but I am using Dalite M/W. I used 4 iron cones tied to a thin fishing line and hook up 2 pce on each side at the bottom end of the screen. I must admit there are still moderate screen waves but it is better than before. Screen is always down too.

• 4 years later...
Guest TruBLu

The waves from normal screens are inevitable..Only way is to use tab tension screen lor ;) Try Da Lite Screens so far visited Shanghai Infocomm and saw the set up over their booth is cool!

Used to have a Draper Star 70"x70" pull down screen 2 years back, got H. wave too. Sell it away cheap cheap to a friend who own an IF4805 and never use a PJ screen before...and after using, he said without the Draper Star screen picture is much more better  :-X  :'(

Anybody ever tried installing a pull down screen about 2 ft in front of a aircon blower. I was wondering whether if I redirect the air flow downward, will the screen move even if there is a slight breeze?.if it move, anyone has a solution other than shifting the screen elsewhwere?.

haha... same problem, i juz redirect the air flow away

I'm using the Remaco 80" 16:9 screen... there is V.waves when I see the screen from the back, but I can hardly tell it's there from the front view of the screen...

I usually leave it down 99% of the time.  ;)

Hi,

Mine is a Remaco 80" 4:3 screen, notice some vertical waves especially noticeable when showing fast moving scene.

BTW when you retract your screen does it wind all the way into the casing? For mine always there is about 6" left unwind, well had to try a few more time before getting it fully retracted. >:(

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm amazed this thread is still surviving.

Anyway, my draper screen is still good after so long. No waves. Its only the horizontal lines that will be initially present if I retract the screen back up. But leave it down for a while and those lines straighten out.

Otherwise, mine has got no waves. Maybe coz my Draper Luma 2 is Made in USA. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does the brand truely matter? Shops are telling me that nowadays they are all manufactured from the same source so no point getting anything too branded... was recommended remaco.

Thoughts?

I have a Remaco fixed screen and I'm happy with it. Ignorance is bliss though, as I did not compare it with other screens other than the "free" tripod screen I was using before. Quite frankly the comparison of the material itself didn't show much difference. It is the nice black border and the dead flat screen that make such a difference. Even my gf said, wow this is much better. We think about a 20% improvement. Given I was getting a 4:3 screen as a temporary measure until HD television is in Singapore I couldn't justify spending the money on a Stewart and then replacing it with a 16:9 screen a year or two later.

Fastlogic has Remaco and Stewart screens in their demo room if I'm not mistaken. Why not go there and compare?

Errr... y didnt u just get a 16:9 screen straight away? Lots of DVDs are already in 16:9 or wider anyway....

IMO, a cheap fixed screen would look nicer than an expensive pull down... The latter always remind me of the screens used in schools..