IGNORED

Budget DVD Players

A world of difference in picture quality if your TV supports progressive scan and you get the Shinco 8700.

Even if your TV does not support progressive scan, the Shinco 8700 has got built-in DTS and DD decoders, supports MP3 and HDCD, VGA output and full karoake functions, the combination of which you won't find in any dvd players in it's price range or even at double its price range.

Get it even cheaper second-hand ! desray is selling his few-months old Shinco 8700 away at only $280 at the moment.

Even if your TV does not support progressive scan, the Shinco 8700 has got built-in DTS and DD decoders, supports MP3 and HDCD, VGA output and full karoake functions, the combination of which you won't find in any dvd players in it's price range or even at double its price range.

8300 also have built-in DTS & AC3 DD decorder, support MP3, karaoke, but dun have PS, HDCD and VGA output. If ya TV dun support PS and u dun need to connect to monitor, getting 8300 over 8700 can save u like 90 bucks, which is almost 40% saving, hehe.

I think with $240~$250, 8300 consider very good value for money, tat's provided you want "real cheap" and good like me. On the other hand, if ya TV can support PS, by all means go for 8700, I think it's the best value for money for its price range (~$330-350). ;D

Read this from a review abt Shinco's DVD player:

"This DVD player does not have the DTS and Dolby Digital decoders built into the unit. It just sends the signal and the amplifier will do the decoding if it has the capability."

Anyone can comment on this? Thanks.

Read this from a review abt Shinco's DVD player:

"This DVD player does not have the DTS and Dolby Digital decoders built into the unit. It just sends the signal and the amplifier will do the decoding if it has the capability."

Anyone can comment on this? Thanks.

Which model of Shinco dvd player are you referring to?

Shinco ahh, cheap but good. A few months down the road, when DVD-A is more common, selling the Shinco away to get DVD-A wouldn't bring much of heartache since its sooo cheap.

Anyway, having those DTS/DD decoder built-in is really a matter of system preference. Some system would require the use of a DVDP decoder.

But the majority of higher quality systems usually use decoders on the pre-amp of AV receiver, since there's more flexibility.

You should ask yourself:

1) Do I need a VGA output? (If yes, get the Shinco8700)

2) Do I need progressive scan? ( Check your TV if it can accept progressive scan signals)

3) Are my ears made of gold? (Chances are it wouldn't matter since most DVDP arnd $300 are just as good as the other)

4) Do I need a built-in DD/DTS decoder? (Its your system, you should know this better)

5) Do I want maximim price vs performance? (Then pick your choice btw samsung and Shinco)

The other more expensive brands are good, but not so much bang for the buck for Shinco 8700. The 8700 itself boast HDCD, MP3, progressive scan, VGA......etc

Later on when DVD-A and SACD developes greater mass appeal, can always upgrade at minimum heartache.

Those who own flagship equipment, for them upgrading means alot of heartache since its not easy letting go expensive toys; esp since they must upgrade from flagship to flagship. Not very flexible.... IMHO anyway.

Hmm, tat's what the shop keeper told me until I show him a Shinco catalog then he said "so 8300 also got".

I'm also a DVD noob, so rely solely on the catalog, dunno if it's true or not but since both my TVs can't support PS, I think it doesn't really make a diff if I get 8700 or 8300 but I know I will save myself 90 bucks, why not? :)

Which shop sells Shinco? Does KEC sell them? Any recommendations?

KEC sell them, and I find their staffs quite helpful and friendly (I went down on weekdays, less pple, their staffs more time to advise me).

Any idea how much KEC is selling the Shinco 8300 and 8700?