IGNORED

New to Home Thretre set

Guest polar

Guest polar

Hi, I am interested to buy a home theatre set. it will be install in one of the room. The set i am looking at include 1 over head projector, 4 speaker, 1 center speaker, 1 sub-woofer.

Can you all recommend what brand is good?

Can you tell me what else do i need and what should i lookout for.

Thanks in advance

Will your setup include a receiver and DVD-Player in the overall plan? In addition, what kind of budget are u setting aside for this setup. Without understanding your budget, it will be hard for anyone here to recommend something suitable for you.

Guest joamonte

The set i am looking at include 1 over head projector...

.....over head projector?.......mnnnn.... ::)....u mean projector that mount on ceiling?

Hi, I am interested to buy a home theatre set. it will be install in one of the room. The set i am looking at include 1 over head projector, 4 speaker, 1 center speaker, 1 sub-woofer.

Can you all recommend what brand is good?

Can you tell me what else do i need and what should i lookout for.

Thanks in advance

To polar:

hi, great to see u hear. perhaps u may want to list down your preferenece, eg looking for heavy bass, HT to be used for music (your music preference, in this case) etc. it'll be a whole lot easier for forumers to advise u.

To others:

anyway, i think what he meant is a front PJ. from wat i understand from his post in HWZ, his budget for the entire HT system - spkrs, amp, dvdplayer, front pj, screen, cabling, installation, etc is ard $7k. so peeps, maybe u all can advise him on that.

Can do wonders with $7K.

I'm a yammy user, so I recommend a yammy1200 or 2200 ($1400). I don't recommend kenwood. I prefer yammy coz its very "adjustable". 0.5dB vol adj, extended IR codes, 12V trigger, DSP modes, good quality capacitors and components at a reasonable price. Besides, got more re-sale value coz of "Yamaha" brand.

PJ? Lets not waste time. $3K inclusive of matt white screen. Better screens come with a price. Better PJs come with higher price. Panny is the one to look out for. Very economical, but be very aware of its downsides. Audition it with few friends knowledgable with pjs.

DVD? Just get a shinco 8700 ($350) since we're working on an overall budget. Besides, 8700 can use VGA to go straight to the PJ! When dvdp with DVD-A is more afforadable in few years, buy it when the time comes. Line doublers will come in, but thats many many years ahead. Today, entry model DVDPs jap DVDP or Shinco 8700 is good.

For now, lets carry on.

Speakers? I've to let other recomemend coz I'm too satisfied with mine now. Nvr had the need to audition others. I'm using System Audio floor standers with sand.

Sub? Hmm. Tough qn. I actually recommend putting more money into a good sub. Coz a sub can last for a few upgrade cycles. If lucky, u can spot a few good subs selling second hand at a bargain. I find these few brands good. REL ($$$), Kef($$), Yamaha($), Velodyne($$$), Paradigm($$). Theres a thread going on about subs somewhere. Some opinions about good subs out there.

Cables? I suggest DIY using Belden cables or Canare, depending on budget. With a short length of silver solder, crimping tools, and soldering iron, you'll be saving a tidy sum of cash in many years to come.

Installation? Hmm. I always recommend installing it urself. Coz its 50% of the fun of HT!

But take my opinions with a grain of salt. Make sure u buy it only after u are convinced. Nvr buy sight unseen or sound unheard!

Guest queks

I agreed with Jag.

AV Amp: 1200 or 2200

DVD player : Shinco 8700

Projector: panny or LG (since using in small room, LG(DLP) should be better for shorter distance viewing

Speaker set : Energy Encore set (Again since in room, wall mount satellite speaker looks more neat).

Total should be slightly more than $7k.

Guest polar

To: lksey

Thanks for explaining my need to all of them.

To: All

Today i went to the BOSE shop and is interested in the Lifestyle 30 Series II Jewel Cubes. I comes with 5 jewel cube speaker, very small and powerful, 1 sub-woofer with build-in amp and a center unit. They are also giving away a free Philips DVD Q30. all this is worth S$4975. Is this worth buying???

And i also saw a Philip Csmart and i forcus projector. Can you guys comment on this or do you have other suggestion?

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks again

Hi Polar

Bose is very over rated and you are basically paying for the brand rather than the product... the recommendations given by Queks and gang are actually very reasonable...

to be honest, just go down to KEC at Adelphi to try out the configurations... use the same scene to test all the equipment to figure out what sounds best for you... take your time... $7k is a lot of money!!

alternatively you could just start with a DVDplayer and build up your home theatre... you would learn slowly and the whole process is more fruitful.

BOSE, you pay for the lifestyle look, but it lacks alot in the sound departemnt. You'll get better mileage in sound with the recommendations that are offered offer by members here.

With your budget, I also recommend the Yammy 1200 or 2200.. Though I'm bias toward Yamaha where HT is concerned.

Guest polar

I went to KEC today and they recommend me AEGIS Evolution Agies 3 with a Yamaha RXV-6300 6.1 DTS/AC-3 Receiver at a cost of S$2288. The projector they recommend is EIKI LC-SM3 with a free shinco DVD at S$3899. Also a Yamaha Sub-woofer model forget but it is about S$495. Is the above configuration good and is the price reasonable???

Thanks for your trouble.

Polar, whatever you do, avoid BOSE.

BOSE is just ornamental & decorative furniture, but it sucks in real HT performance, which is the original reason why we buy any equipment in the first place.

KEC's recommendation is good, but you can also consider some of the other configurations suggested by the brothers here. Ask KEC to connect them, and try for yourself to see which you prefer. :)

Why not get the Panny AE100 projector? I mean there's so many users here who are supportive of it. And the price's cheaper too!

And the Yamaha Sub that you mentioned must be Yamaha YST SW320 sub. You heard it perform? Is it good?

Guest polar

For the sub, the staff say is one of the best for the price range $500. they do not have stock so do not get the chance to hear it. Anyway,you guys keep saying Panny is this the brand??? Any comment for the AEGIS Evolution Agies 3 with a Yamaha RXV-6300 6.1 DTS/AC-3 Receiver at a cost of S$2288?