IGNORED

Too much midrange

Acoustic recording with female lead vocals tend to overwhelm my system a bit, the mid band is particularly too strong with the voices and guitars. On instances with loud accompanying music and the singer stretches her voice, my speakers exhibit a slight crackling sound(eg Diana Krall). An old cd player and the dvd player which connects to the pre amp digitally dont have the problem , albeit a duller presentation...My setup is as follows:

Cyrus Av-5

Rotel RMB-1066

Monitor Audio Monitor 3

Sony CDP-XB930E

Guest jonlee

I've used cable talk 3.1 before. They are not cables with good details. Try to bBorrow a kimber 8TC to try, or I can lend u my 8TC-equivalent-but-not-as-good DIY CAT5 braided speaker cable.

I've actually thought of the kimber cable. Might wanna give it a shot. Anyway lowering the CDP volume by 1dB or more does help. Is there a need to lower the vol of the CDP on certain recordings to prevent that unwanted noise and lowering the pre amp vol doesnt help at all? Why is this so ??? I suspect the cd player strong midband might be strong medicine, will try a mate's CD 6000 OSE soon.

Guest joamonte

try and do some testing on the spk placement (toe in out,distance to ur ear etc)and room acoutic(add or remove carpet/towel on floor/wall etc etc) b4 u change any thing.....maybe its not the fault of ur system..

tuning sound thru tis two aspect can affect the system sound more than any cable or component ,ur can use a set of good headphone as ref. to see is ur tuning is on the right track..

furthermore...tis tuning will not spend u a single dollar.. :)

Sad to say i've swapped 3 pair of speakers, and both exhibit the same noise at the same instance using the same cd. Will try one last swap for another pair of speakers. Swapping wires didnt help. This only happens with closely recorded material involving female lead vocal like laura fygi,diana krall. The cd player hooked to another amp of or any other different combination does away the problem.I guess lowering the output is the last resort.

my sony receiver coupled to the power amp works out fine , only very very sharp.Live acoustic music plays through cleanly even at extreme volumes.Jazz, techno, DVD movie,all fine. Even the sheffiled drums track disc sounds fine. All chinese female singers also fine, story of chyi yi also didnt break a sweat. Its hard to pin point also because rebecca pidgeon also comes out fine. Since it affects only very very few songs that i know of after going through my entire cd collection. Just have to live with it since its been taylored to my liking, till my next upgrade..... ;)

hm..seems like it's indeed the amp is clipping. so your options are:

1. lower the CDP output (easy if there's a volume control)

2. Change to a higher current amplifier

3. Change to a more efficient speaker (may not really help)

4. Live with it

probably not....cos he said nothing wrong when he coupled the power amp with his receiver (although i don't really understand what he meant)

anyway, can't really tell what's the problem unless we can hear the problem ;)

probably not....cos he said nothing wrong when he coupled the power amp with his receiver (although i don't really understand what he meant)

anyway, can't really tell what's the problem unless we can hear the problem ;)

i.e The receiver 5 channel out to the power amp. Its hard to be over driven using vocals.The speakers are rated 8 ohm, so its an easy load.

the last time I had intermittent noise (buzzing/crackling) from my cdp was when one of the rca had a cold joint from too many cable swap.

If I'm not wrong, I remember Sniper having the same problem with his X10D.

• 2 years later...

If you are adventurous, you can try opening up your CD-player to change the opamp. There are many opamps around which you can change to your taste.

This tweak is cheap and easy, but a little research required. More details, you can refer to audioasylum.com.

Wondering where you can get these "opamps' in SG?