IGNORED

How to use bi-wire speaker cable on single-wire speaker?

avfan

I have Harmonic Tech Pro 9 speaker cable, a wonderful cable, which is bi-wire. Saw an interesting speaker but only single wire.

Does anyone have any solution, other than re-terminating the speaker cable?

Guest jonlee

it will work...I do this once in a while when connecting single-wire spks with my bi-wire cable.

tape up the ends which are not is used with insulation tape or something. make sure the unused red/black terminals don't touch each other when ur amp is on...else can say goodby to ur amp (unless ur amp has protection device that will mute the output when they detect a short circuit).

Not sure whether it would work. I have blown my amp before because of wrong connection, and it cost a bomb to repair it. So must be very sure before connecting.

Has anybody try it b4?

insulating the unused ends will result in the "loss" of half of your bi-wire. while insulating, take care to make sure u're insulating the correct wires.

otherwise.. on the amp side, for each channel, you can squeeze the 2 reds into one speaker output, and the 2 blacks into the other speaker output.

Similarly on each speaker, squeeze the same colored ends into the correct plugs.

If you cannot do the squeezing (eg. when both are banana plugs), then send for re-termination. Otherwise get a new pair of speaker wires.

Guest jonlee

ah...u are back...long time no see ur posting.

holiday?

what kind of terminals you have on the amp side? 2 or 4? if it is 2 on the amp side then you just plug 2 into the speaker side and make sure the other 2 do not touch each other. It should work.

been to meidian hi-fi, and wat they did with some of the biwires (2-4) was they drilled like a hole through 2 of the banana plugs of the 4 end. This allows the other 2 plugs to 'plug' into the 2 with holes yet able to plug into the speaker terminals. This effectively 'doubles' the cable thickness as they both run parallel to each other.

some high-end banana plugs come with such a feature..u can oso get such adaptors.

but to drill a hole thru the banana plug..wow..that's new to me! kekekeke.. but it can be done! (only on certain type of banana plugs)

some high-end banana plugs come with such a feature..u can oso get such adaptors.

but to drill a hole thru the banana plug..wow..that's new to me! kekekeke.. but it can be done! (only on certain type of banana plugs)

wah.. dun suan leh... he kept asking me to get a set of biwires, i told him my speakers only single-wire. then he said he could do it, and it would sound better and still allow for upgrade to a biwire speaker next time........

wah piang.. u misunderstood me!! no suaning at all!

i'm just saying that it's something new to me 'cos suakoo me has never seen that before... besides.. thinking abt the type of banana plugs i have..don't think i can drill a hole thru them!

Guest jonlee

Actually, many cheap banana plugs (Daiyo) also can be stacked.

Don't make much hifi or $ sense to drill just for future upgrade. May as well buy the single run cable now. In future when u buy a new spk with double binding posts, just buy another pair of same single run speaker cable to bi-wire lor (assuming u still like the sound of ur speaker cable).

All that is required is to cut off the banana plugs at the amp side of ur existing speaker cable and terminate them together with the new speaker cable (if ur amp doesn't have 2 sets of speaker output).

wah.. dun suan leh... he kept asking me to get a set of biwires, i told him my speakers only single-wire. then he said he could do it, and it would sound better and still allow for upgrade to a biwire speaker next time........

insulating the unused ends will result in the "loss" of half of your bi-wire. while insulating, take care to make sure u're insulating the correct wires.

otherwise.. on the amp side, for each channel, you can squeeze the 2 reds into one speaker output, and the 2 blacks into the other speaker output.

Similarly on each speaker, squeeze the same colored ends into the correct plugs.

If you cannot do the squeezing (eg. when both are banana plugs), then send for re-termination. Otherwise get a new pair of speaker wires.

Squeezing sound like a good idea. I havn't tried it yet. Has anybody try it b4? Your feedback greatly appreciated.

I've tried it before.. my amp side can accomodate spades and bananas together (i think most amp does). And meanwhile on the speaker side (bi-wireable), I just connect accordingly (without the jumper, of course).

Improvement? Non-audible. hehehe..

I have Harmonic Tech Pro 9 speaker cable, a wonderful cable, which is bi-wire. Saw an interesting speaker but only single wire.

y don u shot gun the cables?

y don u shot gun the cables?

What do u mean by shot gun? The cable is combined into single cable at amp side and bi-wire at speaker side. At speaker side, the thinner cable goes to the HF and the thicker cable to the LF.