A dumb experiment with power cords?

Guest silklee

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wah lau..is that a joke-of-the-century or what???

13A becomes 7A??? Where did the 6A go to?

The only way for a current to "disappear" is for it to be converted to another state..either as light or heat or sound or whatever. It can't just disappear into thin air.

If indeed 6A is lost at "the other end of the stock cable", then this other end must be SUPER HOT and GLOWING RED.

6A is HELL lot of current!!!

OK..what's inside the power cord that makes the difference? It's a combination of the materials used on the copper (solid core, stranded..etc), the gauge, how the wires are braided, the type of insulation used..etc.

Basically what we want is a smooth transfer of electrons without losing too much or without getting too much magnetic interference.

But if your equipment has a very good power supply design, I don't think power cords matter alot. That is probably why Ongus always say to stick to stock cords.

Now..as to your "dumb experiment"... it's not really that dumb. But as far as I can remember (sorry, I'm not a Physics major and I've returned all my physics to my teachers), the only way to make water boil FASTER, is to increase the atmospheric pressure.

That is why pressure cooker can cook food faster! Not because it's using audiophile-grade power cords!

*luffing till i nearly fell off the chair*

Perhaps also, the water might even be THE cure for cancer. :o :o ;D

Obviously, the hi-fi shop guy can't tell electrical currents from blackcurrants. Anyone who understands ohms law will know he is full of it.

Electrical engineers can see thru such bluffs. ;) ;)

Now..as to your "dumb experiment"... it's not really that dumb. But as far as I can remember (sorry, I'm not a Physics major and I've returned all my physics to my teachers), the only way to make water boil FASTER, is to increase the atmospheric pressure.

HW, not trying to be funny here, but I thought reducing the pressure makes it boil faster (at lower temp)?

yup..i purposely left out the "lower boiling point" part as I wanna highlight on the time factor.

as i've said earlier, i've forgotten the actual formula, so I wonder if the "faster cooking time" is due to high pressure alone, or a combination of higher pressure and lower boiling point.

can't even remember if higher pressure will lower the boiling point with all other factors constant.

;)

Silklee..don have to swear..i believe u.. u've already mentioned it's the hifi dealer who said it. btw..who is that guy huh?kekekeke..

ok..the using of pressure cooker as an analogy was a bad and misleading one..

but one thing remains the same: using audiophile cord won't make water boil faster or taste sweet ;)

Silk: have you found out the recipe for the power cords?

Guest jonlee

Electrically...(if I had not forgotten everything after the laugh).

Current can only be reduced if there is an alternative path for the current to travel.

Voltage will be reduced as long as there is resistance (V=RI).

Loss will be generated whenever current passes through a resistance (I sq R), usually as heat.

When capacitance and inductance are present, the resultant wave form will no longer be pure sinusodial.

Canot recall any formula to define the quantity of EMI.

Fact : all cables will have resistance, capacitance and inductance. Different cable will have different qty of RCL.

hmmm...this guy who came under fire sounds like a respectable salesman...silk...any clue who he is?

Maybe to the guy's credit ( the one who told me this theory) he was trying to explain it in a very layman way.

Guest karlie

water has a lower boiling point in LESS than atmoshperic pressure (101325 Pa) . The pressure cooker cooks food faster because it is able to create superheated steam or just a hot gaseous (air) environment which is way above 100 C.

No No, the pressure cooker cooks faster because the water boils at a higher temperature.

As long as you keep your vegetables inside the water, the temperature of the steam above is just like my first pair of socks: a mere detail.

water has a lower boiling point in LESS than atmoshperic pressure (101325 Pa) . The pressure cooker cooks food faster because it is able to create superheated steam or just a hot gaseous (air) environment which is way above 100 C.

No No, the pressure cooker cooks faster because the water boils at a higher temperature.

Isn't that what he said in the 2nd sentence?

that's silklee's lao mao bin.

he has to type in Microsoft Word first..run grammar check..run spelling check, before he can post it on the forum :)

kekekeke..

sorry ah.. maybe kinda out of point but may i know wat is #8217 ??

Guest jonlee

still don't explain as to why this will cause the 8217...never mind lah...go buy 4d. ;D

that's silklee's lao mao bin.

he has to type in Microsoft Word first..run grammar check..run spelling check, before he can post it on the forum :)

kekekeke..

sorry ah.. maybe kinda out of point but may i know wat is #8217 ??

My guess is that this encoding of this character (single quotation mark - apostrophe) is lost on this forum's server... or the encoding/decoding has gone wrong somewhere else.

still don't explain as to why this will cause the 8217...never mind lah...go buy 4d. ;D