IGNORED

Some shots from the NPS-VTP1024 Line Doubler/TV Tuner...

As promised. I have taken a few shots from the much-talk-about gadget.

Pictures speaks a thousnad word so I will not talk too much here...unless there're questions posted. Richard can assist me in answering the doubts if any...:)

:D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put it simple: A method used to map the 24 fps of film onto the 30 fps (60 fields) of 525-line TV, so that one film frame occupies three TV fields, the next two, etc.

This is what most Hi-Defin TV does. Hence fricker-free and no ugly "gaps" or what we called inter-laced images.

Guest duckling

Hi Desray,

how much did you paid for it?

I bet you connected it to your Panny and believe that you have SCV MaxTV. Did you get stereo sound?

Maybe you can discribe how you connect them together. Thx.

Hi Desray,

how much did you paid for it?

I bet you connected it to your Panny and believe that you have SCV MaxTV. Did you get stereo sound?

Maybe you can discribe how you connect them together. Thx.

This set is actually a Display set and I got it for less than $200.00 only.

Last heard is that the main distributor is gonna lower the price of this gadget...NEVER EVER buy from Challenger Store! They're selling at a very "ridiculous" price! Even if you're a so-called member of Challenger. You still have to paid say what some " 40% profit"...!!!

Well I dunno anyone working at Challenger Store here or not. No offence. Just talking from a buyer point of perspective.

The connection is simple. There's 3 input of video sources thru this gadget and ONLY one output...that is thru RGB output!.

As you can see from the picture at the rear view....there's 2 RGB cable been used here. One is connected to my Shinco 8700PS DVDP and the one is for connection to my Panny AE100 Projector. Simple as that.

There're many methods to derive picture from TV source and even VCR source. One of the example can be illustrated from Richard's one. Do a search and you should be able to get a clearer picture. I have to admit initially the setting up and connection gave me a headache coz really confusing...BUT now everything is "crystal-clear" to me now. :)

The picture quality is really "fantastic" to say the least and coupled with the use of 2 Bit88 Audio Enhancers for both front and surround speakers...Watching of TV programmes is like watching in a Cinema with true 7.1 Surround Sound and kick-ass bass!

;D

Worth the BUY!

The world cup scene is cool! BTW, does KEC still sell the AE100 plus installation?

And YES! watching World Cup with Big Screen Effect is AWESOME!!! Have to see it to believe it...AND YES! KEC Sound still sells AE100 PJ but upon ordering. So if you want a set. Place your order with Clarence or Chun.

Installation wise - Not sure whether issit free or not. Can enquire from Clarence.

Cheers!~!

Guest duckling

The above picture is the back view of the NPS-VTP1024.

On the far right, I suppose it's a RF in where the SCV cable comes in from SCV decoder. And the image output will goes to the RGB output to panny.

How abt sound? Where does it connects to?

Pls guide me as I am very confused now. Thx.

Sso anyone tempted in getting one...? Especially for Panny users...I think it's a must-get!

Unless you've decided to use the Projector solely for DVD viewing...:)

Hi Desray

Very interesting product. In the website of one of the shops in SLS which sells this product, their models output either PAL or NTSC signal only, how then does yours work with your Shinco DVD player? Do you think this product is almost similiar as the Dscaler software used by HTPC enthusiats?

Cheers!

This device I've seen it so many times as different incarnations.

NPS, VB50, TV-400..... and at least one more I can't remember.

The PAL/NTSC only matters for RF-in, if I'm not wrong. The other inputs should do video-VGA conversion regardless of NTSC/PAL.

Scaling is good, de-interlacing is good. Not fantastic, not the best, but value for money at $200+++.

Other outbox solution for de-interlacing (iscan) costs much more($1600++), but with better performance.

Outbox scaling is just as expensive.

HTPC is great, but not as elegant.......yet! ;)

Pannys on a budget, go for this. Else, just get an iscan since the 3:2 pulldown is done with much better technique.

Guest duckling

Okay Duckling, picture illustration for you...:)

I have come up with a diagram for my setup only.

Take note there are other ways to do it.

Seems like the label on the back is confusing.

As per your illustration

- "RF IN" is referring to input from SCV decoder

- "Audio Input L/R" is referring to output to AV Amp

- "VGA output" is referring to input from Shinco

- "VGA Input" is referring to output from NPS to PJ

If I connect as per above, will I get TV programmes to PJ and at the sametime STEREO sound to AV Amp?

Actually there are some mistakes in Desray's illustration :-

1) All sound output is from the Phone Out headphone jack and not the RCA jacks as indicated in the picture. Those RCA and S-Video jacks are for inputs from devices like DVD/LD/VCR etc.

2) The VGA output jack should be the one going into the Panny

3) The VGA input jack should be the one from your PC or DVD players like Shinco/Nintaus.

As long as your sound is coming from the RF-in, you will get Stereo sound. If you use the single audio RCA jack from behind the SCV set-top box to connect to the NPS RCA audio input jack, then all you get is mono. As for where to get it, you should be able to get it for about $190 from this shop in SLS on the fifth floor just outside the passenger lifts.

Overall, it's a worth-while investment. I've been viewing 100" soccer matches since the start of the World Cup. IN fact, on a few ocassions, I've got neighbors and salesmen stop outside my door to watch the matches.

Guest duckling

1) All sound output is from the Phone Out headphone jack and not the RCA jacks as indicated in the picture. Those RCA and S-Video jacks are for inputs from devices like DVD/LD/VCR etc.

3) The VGA input jack should be the one from your PC or DVD players like Shinco/Nintaus.

As long as your sound is coming from the RF-in, you will get Stereo sound. If you use the single audio RCA jack from behind the SCV set-top box to connect to the NPS RCA audio input jack, then all you get is mono. As for where to get it, you should be able to get it for about $190 from this shop in SLS on the fifth floor just outside the passenger lifts.

Overall, it's a worth-while investment. I've been viewing 100" soccer matches since the start of the World Cup. IN fact, on a few ocassions, I've got neighbors and salesmen stop outside my door to watch the matches.

Jeff, thanks for the clarification - I am clearer now. But one last question - the phone out is going to which input of my AV Amp?

duckling, connect NPS1024 phone-out to any of the empty Audio Signal R/L in, eg. TV/DBS, pictured here. Leave video or s-video empty in this case coz you want sound only.

You will need a RCA to 3.5mm stereo-mini cable. See pic here:

You can adjust treble and bass to your liking at NPS1024 menu.

This device I've seen it so many times as different incarnations.

NPS, VB50, TV-400..... and at least one more I can't remember.

The PAL/NTSC only matters for RF-in, if I'm not wrong. The other inputs should do video-VGA conversion regardless of NTSC/PAL.

Scaling is good, de-interlacing is good. Not fantastic, not the best, but value for money at $200+++.

Other outbox solution for de-interlacing (iscan) costs much more($1600++), but with better performance.

Outbox scaling is just as expensive.

HTPC is great, but not as elegant.......yet! ;)

Pannys on a budget, go for this. Else, just get an iscan since the 3:2 pulldown is done with much better technique.

Agreed with Jag's comments.

The other one is Zinwell ProV also available locally. I wonder how RealScan fair with the rest.

Heard from avsforum that Viewsonic will add component for their next line of VB50?

Anyway, dont expect much from NPS1024. It still has combing artifacts when comes to fast action scene. It has a good VGA pass-through for its price. (IMO, best source is still 800x600)

One advantage of using TV Tuner is that you use only 1 vga cable to your panny or monitor and avoid switching cables.

Guest duckling

Thanks guys, with the picture and explanation, I am very clear now.

But how does the NPS line doubler against a PC TV tuner card - which is better?

All right, explanation wise sure is confusing...hehe.

Anyway, I have add in some of my comments here. My audio connection is via the my Bit 88 Audio Enhancer to my Amp and from my Amp re-route to my Bit 88.

That's why the connection part for Audio maybe a bit confusing here...:P

Wow! Jeffong your house must be quite "spacious" or else how to project 100"inch image on screen...Phew! Envy you man!

Guest saiful

"But how does the NPS line doubler against a PC TV tuner card - which is better?"

I don't think any external deinterlacer below $2K can compare with a PC TV tuner card + DScaler combo.

Guest duckling

"But how does the NPS line doubler against a PC TV tuner card - which is better?"

That is something which I am also interested to find out. :)

It is interesting that you managed to get stereo sound from SCV MaxTV sources.

I have spoken to NPS engineers on two different occasions some weeks ago. I had asked if the unit is able to decode NICAM sources; on both occasions, they said no. However if there is a stereo input via the RCA jacks (for other sources), this will passed to the mini-plug stereo outputs.

Is it possible that SCV MaxTV is transmitting TWO different audio tracks ? A track for digital NICAM and another analog stereo track that is picked up by the NPS tuner ?

Incidentally, what is the advantage of connecting the Shinco 8700PS to the NPS ? As the Shinco is capable of outputing progressive signals itself, I thought you should connect Shinco directly to the projector. Also, are you using interlace signals or the progressive signals from Shinco to NPS. How does the de-interlace capability of Shinco compares against NPS.

Sorry abt all the questions.

Cheers !

Hi Duckling, you have got all the connection correct as intended. And YES! you can definitely get "stereo" sound for all SCV MaxTV Sources...:)

Cheers! ;)