IGNORED

Recommend a subwoofer

Currently own a mission cinema 7 set and a Yamaha Amp. Would like to add the .1 to the system. Can anyone recommend a suitable subwoofer?

Would be using the systems for music and movie.

Budget about $400. issit sufficient? ???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest duckling

My friend recommended me an REL. heard the lowest price model is about $600+. am currently saving up.

I think the ppl in this board will have good things to say about this brand.

Wahh...REL lowest model $600+? Where to get? Unless you're referring to used item.

Guest duckling

I guess Kingsley don't bring in Q50 anymore, the lowest they have is Q150. For the price of the Q150, I prefer to go for Hsu Research VTF-2 - unless you take the Q201E!! ;D

Guest duckling

How much does a Hsu Research VTF-2 cost?

Anywhere to test this sub?

Is the Yamaha YST320 good for music & movie?? :)

Check it out at Adelphi - Reference Audio (behind Asia Sound).

We'd discussion on this sub before, do a search or refer to:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=715;start=0

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=720;start=0

Those looking for a mid-range $500 sub-woofer can go the KEC Adelphi for an audition of subwoofers. They have an impressive range of >15 subwoofers, and you can audition a few models before deciding which one to buy.

Guest duckling

Those looking for a mid-range $500 sub-woofer can go the KEC Adelphi for an audition of subwoofers. They have an impressive range of >15 subwoofers, and you can audition a few models before deciding which one to buy.

Yes, that's right - there will be one which suits your taste but don't expect too much on a $500 sub.

Gentle advice: best to visit KEC on weekdays where it is less crowded.

Hi tcw,

Thanks for the advise. For abt $500 and for music & movie purpose, got any brand & model to recommend? Not so sure which model is worth the money, me quite new to HTS.

From my experience, I feel ported bandpass sub designs are a pain to integrate into the system.

Furthermore, they are boomy even though they are loud.

Go for direct radiating subs. I recommend REL, velodyne.

i definetely recommend a sealed suboofer or acoustic suspension type... they integrate into rooms & systems quite well....

i would try KEF 30b.. its sealed & its 12inch.... i tink its a balanced sub.. for budget as well.. its around 600+.. the other time HUNG BROS got one of those...but i do not know whether is it available anywhere.. coz its & all sub.. but it rocks

its not too boomy coz its sealed... & the large 12inch will satisfy when there is a sudden demand in bass input.. & its only 100watts.. so not so high power.... reduce boominess...

The KEF 30b is still around? Wow, that thing was new 6yrs ago. I remember auditioning it.... it has switch for toggling between movies and music.

Come to think of it..... why didn't I buy it? ??? ???

yeah, thats a pretty good sub. Very "British" sounding. Tight and fast, not for techno or bass junkies.

Its a acoustic suspension sub.... a bit low on spls but good for rooms. Not good for huge rooms.

i actually eyed on tat sub.... the mid bass from 40hz to 100hz.. is very strong.. & punchy... but only when it comes to 40hz & below.. the PORT noise is audible... tats wad i dun like about it....

if not... u can try ENnerGY take 5.2 sub woofer... i remember clarence trying to push me tat wan... he got one piece extra.. i tink its around $560... quite a punchy bass... & performs well... i recommend tat! but i will still prefer FRX8... but KEC doens't sell the sub.. alone...

Guest joamonte

no body mention about MK or Sunfire....? ::)

4 cheaper($1K below) sub-woofer i prefer yamaha..they are the one of the few manufacter that produce ACTIVE sub-woofer for HT long b4 many other brand like Kxx,Mxxxxxx,Jxxx ,Jxxetc,etc...IMO its really good for using in HT....

and i believe using 2 pc of yamaha (many model to choose depend on ur budget))will be better than any brand single sub-woofer when budget is below 1K...

but if u are looking 4 something that is suitable for both music and HT. i think u will need to bring ur budget above 1k,other than REL,HSU(if i am not wrong,its a local brand that get many good review at some mag.....)brand like MK and Sunfire are also worth an audit....

above are just MHO.... :)

Guest joamonte

From my experience, I feel ported bandpass sub designs are a pain to integrate into the system.

Furthermore, they are boomy even though they are loud.

Go for direct radiating subs. I recommend REL, velodyne.

;D ;D i saw tis lah ;D

REL at least 1.1k....velodyne not cheap neither...

MK some model only $700++ and if i am not wrong sunfire got a smaller model only 1k+++....

but as i had said....."for cheaper($1K below) sub-woofer i prefer yamaha....i believe using 2 pc of yamaha (many model to choose depend on ur budget))will be better than any brand single sub-woofer when budget is below 1K..."

Oops, I think a bit of misunderstanding on my part.

I was thinking that an REL at $600 would have to be second hand; since new entry level is already expensive.

So since getting second hand, why not look at other good subwoofers at 2nd hand value.

Anyway, my recommendations for a single sub below $600 would be:

1) new Yamaha.... (not too bad)

2) new Paradigm PS-1000 (loud monster but a pain to setup)

For second hand, if available

1)Any REL

2)Any Sunfire

3)Velodyne

I won't recommend anything I've not heard.

But remember, to listen to test-tones for subwoofer's port noise and other weird noises.

Then listen to movies, but its unlikely to hear anything useful to judge how "poor" the sub performs.

"poor" in the sense that anything blemishes the subs performances.